can I compile my LORs now, and apply next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOAPsucks222

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying next year but want to get all of my LORs compiled now, so that I don't have to wait for all them to be sent in when it's time and deadlines are near.

Can i get them all now? Or do the writers have to submit them personally themselves to TMDSAS when it's time for me to apply? will the date that they wrote the letter matter?

I don't know how this process works so i need some information, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying next year but want to get all of my LORs compiled now, so that I don't have to wait for all them to be sent in when it's time and deadlines are near.

Can i get them all now? Or do the writers have to submit them personally themselves to TMDSAS when it's time for me to apply? will the date that they wrote the letter matter?

Use interfolio, ask for letters as you go along (so they write it while you are still fresh in their minds), ask them to update/redate the letter when it's time to apply and if they can't not a huge deal but try to use recently dated (within a year) letter as much as possible.

Reactions: 1 user

Can i get them all now? Or do the writers have to submit them personally themselves to TMDSAS when it's time for me to apply?

Are you planning to submit individual LORs or get a committee letter from your college? There are several pathways available:
Letters of Evaluation
Applicants are required to submit one the following options. You may also submit one extra individual letter.
  • One Health Professions Committee Letter/Packet
OR
  • Three individual letters of evaluation
TMDSAS will forward one letter in addition to the required letters. You will indicate in the application if you are submitting an extra letter and who the extra letter is being written by.

If you indicate that you are submitting an extra letter, many schools will not consider your file complete until both the required letters and extra letter are received.

Evaluators should know an applicant well enough to evaluate him/her both academically and personally. It is recommended that your evaluators be current/former professors that can speak to your academic ability in the sciences.

All letters must be on official letterhead and contain the evaluator's signature.

INDICATE WHICH TYPE OF EVALUATION YOU WILL SUBMIT:
  1. HP Committee Packet
  2. Individual Letters
IF SUBMITTING A HEALTH PROFESSIONS COMMITTEE PACKET
If you are submitting a HP Committee Packet, you will need to select the institution that will provide your HP Committee Packet. To do this, you must have first completed the [Colleges Attended] section.

WHAT IS A HEALTH PROFESSIONS COMMITTEE PACKET?
Many institutions utilize a Health Professions Committee Packet for their professional school applicants. These packets come in three basic formats:
  1. Committee letter with supporting letters attached.
  2. Committee letter that is composed and uses quotes from various evaluators but may or may not have supporting letters attached.
  3. Collection of individual evaluation letters which may also include a cover letter from an advising office or school letter service. The advising office or school letter service serves as a central collection service for the applicant, but does not make additional assessments of the candidate.
All three types of HP Committee Packets are acceptable to TMDSAS, regardless of the number of evaluations that may be contained within the document. TMDSAS respects the varying philosophies of colleges and universities as to how best to provide a HP Committee Packet and therefore does not limit the number of evaluations included. If you are having an HP Committee Packet submitted on your behalf, indicate the name of the school that will be submitting the packet.

DELIVERING HP COMMITTEE PACKETS TO TMDSAS
Your HP office can deliver your committee packet several ways:
  1. They can upload the packet directly to your application using the TMDSAS Advisor Portal.
    You must have answered “Yes” to the following question in the [Colleges Attended Questions] section: “Would you like to release your information to the health professions advisor at any school(s)?” and indicate the school which will be uploading your committee packet.
  2. They can deliver the packet to us electronically using either Virtual Evals or Interfolio.
  3. They can mail the packet to TMDSAS.
IF SUBMITTING INDIVIDUAL LETTERS OF EVALUATION
If you are submitting individual letters, placeholders for the required letters will be shown. Click the edit button to fill out and complete a letter placeholder.
  • Salutation
    Indicate the appropriate salutation of your evaluator (e.g. Dr., Mr., Mrs. Ms., etc.).
  • First Name
    Enter the first name of your evaluator.
  • Last Name
    Enter the last name of your evaluator.
  • Suffix (if applicable)
    Indicate the appropriate suffix of your evaluator (e.g. I, II, Jr, Sr, MD, DDS, DVM, etc.).
  • Relationship to you
    Indicate the evaluator’s relationship to you (e.g. Academic Advisor, HP Advisor, Professor, Supervisor, Business Associate, etc.).
  • Indicate how your evaluator will send your letter to TMDSAS
    • Upload directly to TMDSAS via Evaluator Portal (preferred method)
    • Send through Interfolio
    • Send through regular mail
  • Evaluator’s Email
    Enter the email address of the evaluator (only if uploading letter directly to TMDSAS). Contact the evaluator for the correct email address.
  • Waiver
    Indicate whether you will or will not waive your right of access to the letters of evaluation sent on your behalf
You will not be able to save this section until you have completed every REQUIRED letter placeholder.

DELIVERING LETTERS TO TMDSAS
  1. Evaluator can upload the letter directly to TMDSAS via TMDSAS Evaluator Portal:
    • Applicant provides evaluator's name and email address in the [Letters of Evaluation] section.
    • Once evaluator's name and email are provided, the evaluator receives an email from TMDSAS directing him or her to the TMDSAS Evaluator Portal.
    • Evaluator will follow instructions provided for submitting the letter of evaluation.
  2. You may deliver letters electronically through Interfolio:
    • Applicant contacts evaluator and requests that he or she upload their letter of evaluation to applicant's Interfolio account.
    • Applicant enters evaluator name in [Letters of Evaluation] section.
    • Select "Interfolio" from the drop-down menu for the question: "Indicate how your evaluator will send your letter to TMDSAS".
    • Applicant initiates letter delivery from Interfolio to TMDSAS.
    • Make sure that you include your TMDSAS ID with the delivery. Follow these instructions to add your TMDSAS ID to the Interfolio delivery.
  3. Evaluator can mail the letter to TMDSAS through regular mail:
    • Applicant enters evaluator name in [Letters of Evaluation] section.
    • Applicant notifies evaluator to mail in letter to TMDSAS. Make sure your TMDSAS ID is on your letter(s) so that they are matched to your application properly.
From TMDSAS Medical: Section Overview

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you planning to submit individual LORs or get a committee letter from your college? There are several pathways available: From TMDSAS Medical: Section Overview
Hi Catalystik I had a few quick questions related to this.

For students using a letter packet and applying for next cycle (summer 2019), is having a letter from Jan/Feb 2017 okay or is that too far back? This is assuming other letters are from spring 2018, and a few from spring 2019.

Also if some letters are not on letterhead, but are still signed and in the letter packet is that not a huge deal? I have a letter from a summer internship I did a couple summers ago, and I am not sure if they even have a letterhead. Thanks for your time!

thanks for the response! i will submit 3 individual letters. since this is the case, is the best thing to do to have them upload into interfolio now or wait?
I think it's fine to start collecting letters now. Interfolio will store your confidential letters for free. Once you want to send them out, though, there is an annual subscription fee ($48 last year).

You might ask your writers to save a copy, in case you need more than one application cycle. In this case, it would be desirable to get the letter reissued with a fresher date.

Hi Catalystik I had a few quick questions related to this.

1) For students using a letter packet and applying for next cycle (summer 2019), is having a letter from Jan/Feb 2017 okay or is that too far back? This is assuming other letters are from spring 2018, and a few from spring 2019.

2) Also if some letters are not on letterhead, but are still signed and in the letter packet is that not a huge deal? I have a letter from a summer internship I did a couple summers ago, and I am not sure if they even have a letterhead. Thanks for your time!
1) The common wisdom is that LORs would ideally be less than 2 years old at the time of application. However, one older letter may not be a deal breaker depending on, eg, type of LOR or nontrad status that could make the date a non-issue.

2) They must be on letterhead.

1) The common wisdom is that LORs would ideally be less than 2 years old at the time of application. However, one older letter may not be a deal breaker depending on, eg, type of LOR or nontrad status that could make the date a non-issue.

2) They must be on letterhead.

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification! Would you say taking 2 gap years qualifies as nontrad status that makes one 2+ year old LOR acceptable?

Would you say taking 2 gap years qualifies as nontrad status that makes one 2+ year old LOR acceptable?
Yes. But if you can get a new date on the same letter, it does tend to impress that someone remembers you after that long and continues to think positively of you. (No pressure)

Yes. But if you can get a new date on the same letter, it does tend to impress that someone remembers you after that long and continues to think positively of you. (No pressure)
Thanks for the feedback as always it is much appreciated! :)