Can I consider this "service to others"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my secondary prompts is asking me to reflect on the ways that my experiences serving others has contributed to my personal growth. When thinking about my experiences "serving others," I do have volunteer experiences that I wish to speak about, but I also think about my A-EMT clinical rotations, where I also learned a lot about myself and the concepts of diversity/inclusiveness. I was not paid for these rotations, but they were part of a course, which I paid tuition to take. Should I avoid using this example since it is not from a volunteering perspective?

Members don't see this ad.

Correct. Paying tuition for a class to obtain academic credit or develop a marketable skill is not really service to others. Go get a job as an EMT and then talk about your service to others related to being an EMT. Training is not service, unless you are the one doing the training, as opposed to receiving it.

Reactions: 1 user
Correct. Paying tuition for a class to obtain academic credit or develop a marketable skill is not really service to others. Go get a job as an EMT and then talk about your service to others related to being an EMT. Training is not service, unless you are the one doing the training, as opposed to receiving it.
I have experiences that I can talk about as a full-time EMT as well. I was more so worried about speaking outside of a purely volunteer capacity, but thanks for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t wanna sound snarky, but if you have to ask then probably not. Because if a sizable fraction of people reading it would be unimpressed, then it’s not worth it.

Beg to differ, here. I think you can serve others as part of your clinical rotations; as you have since become an EMT, I would say it's okay to use both your experiences while training and your actual EMT experiences to answer the prompt.

One of my secondary prompts is asking me to reflect on the ways that my experiences serving others has contributed to my personal growth. When thinking about my experiences "serving others," I do have volunteer experiences that I wish to speak about, but I also think about my A-EMT clinical rotations, where I also learned a lot about myself and the concepts of diversity/inclusiveness. I was not paid for these rotations, but they were part of a course, which I paid tuition to take. Should I avoid using this example since it is not from a volunteering perspective?
I say no because those rotations were part of your education.

Service to others means showing off your altruism.

Reactions: 1 users
I say no because those rotations were part of your education.

Service to others means showing off your altruism.
That was my original concern as well. I respect the other opinions expressed here, but I decided to just steer clear of that point to avoid coming off the wrong way! Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: 2 users