Can I count this as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cerulean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I broke a couple of bones in my leg yesterday and was in the ER for 4 hours. Since I was able to not only observe, but take part in multiple medical treatments (like re-aligning bones, putting on a splint), do those hours count as clinical experience?

Hah, if anyone has any tips on remaining on top of things (classes, extracurriculars) when I won't actually be able to physically be present at them for at least a few days, i'd love to hear them. Outside of relying on e-mail and posted course notes/notes from friends, I don't really know what to do to keep up. How am I supposed to keep up in my lab class?

Members don't see this ad.

So I broke a couple of bones in my leg yesterday and was in the ER for 4 hours. Since I was able to not only observe, but take part in multiple medical treatments (like re-aligning bones, putting on a splint), do those hours count as clinical experience?

Hah, if anyone has any tips on remaining on top of things (classes, extracurriculars) when I won't actually be able to physically be present at them for at least a few days, i'd love to hear them. Outside of relying on e-mail and posted course notes/notes from friends, I don't really know what to do to keep up. How am I supposed to keep up in my lab class?

I had a paper cut once, and I put some band-aid on it. I'll put it on my AMCAS application, and I don't see why you shouldn't too.:laugh: :laugh:

i work for a quadrapalegic radiologist. i am sure you can manage with a broken leg.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a one-time experience, this isn't very significant. What you need to do is injure yourself on a regular basis, so you can build a relationship with one of the ER docs and ask them for a LOR.

Interviewer: So, can you tell me about an experience you've had where you learned what medicine was like?
Interviewee: Well, I spent 4 hours a week in a community ER for 2 years.
Interviewer: As a volunteer?
Interviewee: No, as a patient!

Interviewer: So, can you tell me about an experience you've had where you learned what medicine was like?
Interviewee: Well, I spent 4 hours a week in a community ER for 2 years.
Interviewer: As a volunteer?
Interviewee: No, as a patient!

:laugh:

Sad thing is, I actually had such an applicatant last season.

I always like to see some clinical exposure beyond taking care of one's self and one's family. Clinical services for those you love is different than being of service to strangers.

I always like to see some clinical exposure beyond taking care of one's self and one's family. Clinical services for those you love is different than being of service to strangers.

True. You can't compare the two.

Trueeeeeee!!!!!

Don't include it. All it says is that you have experience as a patient. When you apply to med schools, they'll accept you as a patient, not a med student! "Dear applicant - you have been accepted as a patient - feel free to come our hospital any time."

Don't include it. All it says is that you have experience as a patient. When you apply to med schools, they'll accept you as a patient, not a med student! "Dear applicant - you have been accepted as a patient - feel free to come our hospital any time."

I love it!

:smuggrin: