Can I get into a Canadian BC residency as a US citizen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromatic543

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to a DO school in Arizona and want to match into a Canadian residency. Most of my family lives in the lower mainland in BC, Canada (Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam) and I want to do my residency there.

If I take the USMLE in addition to COMLEX, am I eligible to match into a Canadian residency? I read that US DO graduates are seen as Canadian Medical Graduates, and not IMGs.

So in a nutshell, I would:

1. Finish Medical School/do the boards
2. Apply to US and Canadian residencies.

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to a DO school in Arizona and want to match into a Canadian residency. Most of my family lives in the lower mainland in BC, Canada (Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam) and I want to do my residency there.

If I take the USMLE in addition to COMLEX, am I eligible to match into a Canadian residency? I read that US DO graduates are seen as Canadian Medical Graduates, and not IMGs.

To be eligible for Canadian residencies, you have to be a Canadian citizen or have permanent residency status in Canada. There are additional provincial requirements as well.

You can refer to CaRMS eligibility criteria for more info.

Members don't see this ad :)

1. You need to be a Canadian PR or Citizen to apply for Canadian residencies even if you graduated from a US medical school
2. Most Canadian provinces view US DOs as IMGs, which would make it very difficult for you to get a position, essentially you would be limited to family medicine in BC and you would have to do return of service (sort of like a period of time after you graduate where you work rurally) and even then it would be way more difficult to get a position than in the US

1. You need to be a Canadian PR or Citizen to apply for Canadian residencies even if you graduated from a US medical school
2. Most Canadian provinces view US DOs as IMGs, which would make it very difficult for you to get a position, essentially you would be limited to family medicine in BC and you would have to do return of service (sort of like a period of time after you graduate where you work rurally) and even then it would be way more difficult to get a position than in the US

What if I do a US residency, and then apply for jobs in BC? Would that be easier, especially with Hematology?

Last edited:
What if I do a US residency, and then apply for jobs in BC? Would that be easier, especially with Hematology?

You could do it, but the challenge is getting hired. It would be hard to break in unless you are happy to work rurally. BC is a competitive place to work and many Canadian trained physicians are having trouble finding jobs, trying to break in as a US grad without regional connections will be more challenging. If you do find a job, you need to be supervised for a period of time 6 months or so before you get to practice freely. You would likely need to do a US ACGME residency rather than osteopathic residencies to qualify as well.

Why not just work in Washington State? Seems easier at this point in the game.

Very Difficult for DOs to apply and get residency.
1) You need PR or Canadian Citizenship
2) You need Canadian clinical experience
3) Passed all exams, and Canadian exams
4) You are looked upon as an IMG
5) Very competitive for IMG or DO's since they have their own route and positions.

Best advice, practice in Vancouver WA, and once board certified apply for BC license.

Very Difficult for DOs to apply and get residency.
1) You need PR or Canadian Citizenship
2) You need Canadian clinical experience
3) Passed all exams, and Canadian exams
4) You are looked upon as an IMG
5) Very competitive for IMG or DO's since they have their own route and positions.

Best advice, practice in Vancouver WA, and once board certified apply for BC license.

How long does it take to get board certified? I wouldn't mind working in Washington temporarily.

Hematology is 3 years IM + 2years Heme, so 5 years. You would probably have to write the Royal college exams for both IM and Heme in order to work in BC. The much bigger hurdle would be trying to find a job opening for Heme as an outsider from the US. If you went to a prestigious program and did tons of research then it would be possible.

5 years and you also need to write the RCPSC exams for Heme/Onc and maybe IM also. But this depends on the BC college of the physician at the time of licensure.

You also need to have your education, training, and fellowship verified by the RCPSC is a little bit ($$$) 3000$+ maybe even more, but the sooner you start to have the letter from them that your education is the same and you can set for the exams (RCPSC) you are way ahead.

Yeah hate to do this to ya bud but you are better off in Washington. Or it's one long uphill battle that you would have to put up with. Just be happy you have some family here. At least you can visit / stay with them.