Can I get into an allopathic school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mysterion

Dude...Wait, what?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was unsure of how I stack up in the MD realm so I thought I'd come here for some help, I'll be applying to both MD schools as well as DOs.

Here are my stats:

Biochemistry Major, Chemistry & Political Science Minor
3.21 Overall GPA, 3.44 NonScience, 3.05 Science (MCAT:32P=11PS,11VR,10BS (June, 2008);31Q=11PS,10VR,10BS (March, 2009)
2 years undergraduate research
50+ hours of shadowing a Pulmonologist (MD)
Organic Chemistry TA
3 years of Collegiate Rugby
A's in 2 Graduate Science Courses as an undergrad
Recs from Orgo Professor, 2 more graduate science professors, 1 Political Science Professor
NY State Resident

Thanks in advance for any feedback and help.

Members don't see this ad.

sure if you try hard enough - get good LORs and write convincing essays

you would have to apply broadly. I would apply to DO schools as well. they may not be too thrilled about your MCAT score going down.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD is going to be a stretch, but not impossible, it'll take a bit of luck. you should be a lock for DO however

DO would be your best bet however I would also take a shot at some MD schools and you could get lucky if you apply early.

So, sorry about the late reply. I haven't really had any volunteer experiences besides small things done along with my rugby team. The only other things I could add are
*Shadowing a DO this coming week (estimated 25hours)
*Member of Biochem club, journal club, campus paper
*A's in 2 Graduate Science Courses as an undergrad
*Also in the year off I will hopefully be working as a labtech in a biological sciences based lab

So, sorry about the late reply. I haven't really had any volunteer experiences besides small things done along with my rugby team. The only other things I could add are
*Shadowing a DO this coming week (estimated 25hours)
*Member of Biochem club, journal club, campus paper
*A's in 2 Graduate Science Courses as an undergrad
*Also in the year off I will hopefully be working as a labtech in a biological sciences based lab

If you REALLY want to go to an allopathic school, do an SMP, like the one at Boston University or Georgetown. Prove you can do just as well, or ideally, better than the medical students in the program, maintain at least a 3.5 (ideally 3.7+) and your chances at allopathic schools will definitely improve.

If you get a DO acceptance, take that over any SMP. Those programs are huge gambles and lots of people end up with nothing. Better to apply broadly and get a real acceptance than just a chance at one.

If you get a DO acceptance, take that over any SMP. Those programs are huge gambles and lots of people end up with nothing. Better to apply broadly and get a real acceptance than just a chance at one.

Yeah I should have said that in my post too. It all sounds great, but you have to do well (3.5+ for sure). If you do poorly, you are almost shooting yourself in the foot, showing Adcoms you are NOT capable of med school classes. And 'poorly' can mean even like a 3.4 (based on 2 people I know who did SMP, got an approximate 3.4, with undergrad GPA like 3.3, and MCAT 31). These 2 students are basically scrambling now, considering retaking MCAT.

When was the second MCAT taken in relation to the first? For example, were they both taken after you graduated, or both during undergrad, etc?

OP, I think your MCAT is OK, but your GPA is VERY low for allopathic med school, and quite possibly many DO schools as well.

I don't think you're likely to get into MD school without either an SMP or a multi-year GPA repair project (basically getting a second undergrad degree in the sciences).

If you decide to go DO, you can raise your GPA much faster by retaking science courses in which you did badly. Since DO schools use "grade replacement" in calculating your GPA, doing well in retakes could do wonders for both your uGPA and sGPA.

In your place, I'd probably do the retakes and go DO, since it would be a lot faster, cheaper and lower risk than the second bachelor's degree or an SMP.

I understand MD would be a <1% shot. I am somewhat applying to MD's satiate my parents and take a shot in the dark. Though, I am also applying to about 10 osteopathic schools (and have already submitted the AACOMAS) where I feel I have a realistic shot. I wasn't planning on retaking courses for DO and was hoping that my MCAT (since its a couple points above the averages for DO) would outweigh the GPA discrepancies. Is that reasonable to assume?

@UVAbme2009 - the first MCAT was during the summer of my junior year, and the second was in spring after I graduated early in December of 2008.

Once again, thanks to everyone so far for the words of advice.

Last edited:
Your MCAT is good, and it sounds like you have a lot of medical and volunteer experience, but your GPA is a little soft.

You said you're a NYS resident, so I think it would be beneficial to get your GPA up so you are competitive at the SUNY schools, which are strong programs, and give an edge to in-state candidates.

If you applied now, it's a crapshoot, but you might have a shot at Albany or NYMC. But you'd be a lot more competitive if you raised your GPA.