Can I get into any accredited MSW program in the nation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharoz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have about a 2.7, horrifically ugly transcript with about 15 withdrawals, sporadic to boot. Strong GRE's, and a little bit of volunteer work in a relevant field. I don't care where I go, where I live, etc. I'm willing to relocate anywhere in the country, I just want to start my MSW this fall. I'm 26 now, and obviously the prospect of taking joke courses for 2 years to boost my gpa, all to then go to grad school, is something I'd rather avoid.

In my preliminary searches I haven't found any "open admissions' MWS programs anywhere that are accredited. Am I incorrect here? Are there any programs that are similar in admissions standards?

Thanks a bunch for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, I doubt there are many programs that would want to risk a spot on an applicant with a weak track record and only "a little volunteer experience" in terms of professional experience. You're 26, so they're going to wonder what you've been doing since you were 18! If I were you, I'd take a year and get some undergrad and/or grad level classes (non-degree seeking) to get that GPA up AND work part- or full-time in a related area. For instance, if you could succeed as a part-time case manager or residential supervisor for a year while taking 3-4 classes each semester, you could probably strengthen your application quite a bit.

Hey. I would register as a matriculating student at an MSW program that takes them, that way you get the credits from classes in the field. Plus, if you do well it will add to your application and make it look like you can do the work and you can get to know and prove yourself to the professors at the school. I dont know if all schools do matriculating students but I know some do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just did a quick check of the admissions requirements for each of the 6 accredited MSW programs in my state (pretty easy to do via CSWE's website). The school with the newest program- and perhaps most questionable reputation- requires a minimum 2.75. The other 5 programs required at least a 3.0. Anyone wanting to ever be licensed in social work will need to go to a CSWE-accredited program, as every set of state licensing regulations that I've seen requires this for applicants.

Although you'd "rather avoid" "taking joke classes", your low GPA coupled with 15 withdrawals probably does not make you a strong candidate at this time. If you were to do any coursework to strengthen your application- and it's likely that you'd need to- I would suggest focusing on advanced undergrad courses in social work or related fields such as psychology, sociology, and any programs that emphasize diversity (women's studies, African American studies, Middle Eastern studies, etc). Some schools may allow you to take non-matriculating grad classes, others may have undergrad courses that are cross-listed in the grad program. In addition to being able to prove that you're capable of doing upper-level coursework, you will also need to prove that you've changed things around and are showing commitment to your education by staying in. In other words, any more withdrawals and you're probably sunk.

MSW admissions appear to be getting more competitive over the years. If you want to get in, your application needs to stand out. In a good way.

I had no idea until after we graduated, but I had the lowest undergrad GPA of my MSW class.... and I had a decent GPA.

I ditto all that has been said and also add that if classes aren't the way and the light for you, then get a job in the field and work for a few years. I think that would demonstrate a committment to the field and they might be able to give more respect to your application as a total package.

There are many jobs you can do with a bachelor's... homeless shelters to inpatient units to community non-profits... if it doesn't matter where you live, apply for the cool jobs in other states...

I think you might be young enough still for an Americorps position... pays crud but some schools still look favorably upon them as references. Same with Peace Corps... although Peace Corps is almost more competitive than grad school and takes the full two years.

www.idealist.org

Try there to search for jobs, apply, get out there... and then make your move for grad school... more experience enver hurt anyone.

sounds like we have a pretty similar history with undergrad, age, etc. i go to cussw. so it's more than just a possibility. write a really good personal statement.