Can I get into dental school with 2 C's and a "pass"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aChocoLee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Freshman year I did well in my classes, with an A- in General Chemistry 1, a B+ in General Chemistry 2, an A- in Biology 1, and A in all other classes I was taking including labs for the 3 courses mentioned before. However, come first semester of sophomore year, I ended up with a C in Organic Chemistry 1 (although I was leaning towards pass/failing it, but was told by my pre-health advisor not to) and an A in Biology 2. This semester, although I know that it is a pre-rec, I ultimately decided to pass/fail Organic Chemistry 2 because I was going back and forth between a C-/C and did not want to risk getting a C-. In addition, it is very likely that I will get a C in my Genetics class. The next 2 years I plan on improving my overall and science GPA by taking some upper level biology courses as well as physics (which I need for my major) and doing well in them. I also intend on taking the DAT this summer and hopefully score above a 23 AA.

Currently, my oGPA is 3.76 and my sGPA is 3.53. After the semester ends, I'm not too sure what my oGPA would become, but my sGPA would be a 3.34.

Would the 2 C's and the Pass/Fail harm my chances of getting into dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

Freshman year I did well in my classes, with an A- in General Chemistry 1, a B+ in General Chemistry 2, an A- in Biology 1, and A in all other classes I was taking including labs for the 3 courses mentioned before. However, come first semester of sophomore year, I ended up with a C in Organic Chemistry 1 (although I was leaning towards pass/failing it, but was told by my pre-health advisor not to) and an A in Biology 2. This semester, although I know that it is a pre-rec, I ultimately decided to pass/fail Organic Chemistry 2 because I was going back and forth between a C-/C and did not want to risk getting a C-. In addition, it is very likely that I will get a C in my Genetics class. The next 2 years I plan on improving my overall and science GPA by taking some upper level biology courses as well as physics (which I need for my major) and doing well in them. I also intend on taking the DAT this summer and hopefully score above a 23 AA.

Currently, my oGPA is 3.76 and my sGPA is 3.53. After the semester ends, I'm not too sure what my oGPA would become, but my sGPA would be a 3.34.

Would the 2 C's and the Pass/Fail harm my chances of getting into dental school?
relax and trust the process...

The dean of admissions of one particularly selective school told me that if they had any doubt about one’s mastery of course material, high DAT scores could potentially settle their doubt. Then of course, the admission process is holistic so your academics are viewed in light of many other factors. So no, some poor grades won’t eliminate all hope. You can still strengthen other areas of your application if you’re worried.

Or as one sage SDN member said, trust the process.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I don't think the 2 C's should be an issue at all, however the pass/fail in orgo 2 may. Many schools won't accept a pass/fail for a prerequisite course. I would recommend retaking Orgo 2 for a grade, and as long as you get a C or above and do well on the DAT I would think you should be fine.

absolutely not, grab a bucket and a mop
man dancing GIF
nah you can just do well in the other courses and if you really need to, just retake those courses. Make your application stick out with your extracurriculars, shadowing, etc. GPA is looking just fine