Can I get into med school and become a certified physician with a shoplifting misdemeanor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LightHearbeat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay fine.. I needed something to test on this forum, as I'm new here. Please forgive me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a 25 year old male, and when I was 23 I attempted to shoplift about $30 worth of cosmetics. I don't even have a good explanation. I was a finance major in my final month of undergrad with no job leads despite all my peers with less experience and a lower GPA securing jobs. I noticed employers, networkers, recruiters, etc were not making eye contact with me and always staring at my cheeks (I had some really unsightly scarring and cystic acne), and so I went to a big-box store to buy face makeup. Being in the south, I felt too embarrassed to be a man buying makeup in my skin tone, and so I put the cosmetics in my pocket and tried to walk towards the door. I felt so guilty I turned around before even making it past the registers, but I got tackled by security within 2 seconds of turning back. Because I felt so guilty and panicky, I signed a confession form, etc. so it ended up as a misdemeanor on my criminal record which I had expunged (my lawyer advised me to plea guilty and get it expunged). I felt really bad about it and started volunteering at Habitat Restore.

Should I assume a pre-med post-bacc is a waste of time and money?
If you're really hellbent on med school it's probably best to give it more time and do more volunteering before applying. Shoplifting would likely be viewed as more serious than something like a simple MIP or POM because there's a victim involved and you did it relatively recently at a more mature age.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a 25 year old male, and when I was 23 I attempted to shoplift about $30 worth of cosmetics. I don't even have a good explanation. I was a finance major in my final month of undergrad with no job leads despite all my peers with less experience and a lower GPA securing jobs. I noticed employers, networkers, recruiters, etc were not making eye contact with me and always staring at my cheeks (I had some really unsightly scarring and cystic acne), and so I went to a big-box store to buy face makeup. Being in the south, I felt too embarrassed to be a man buying makeup in my skin tone, and so I put the cosmetics in my pocket and tried to walk towards the door. I felt so guilty I turned around before even making it past the registers, but I got tackled by security within 2 seconds of turning back. Because I felt so guilty and panicky, I signed a confession form, etc. so it ended up as a misdemeanor on my criminal record which I had expunged (my lawyer advised me to plea guilty and get it expunged). I felt really bad about it and started volunteering at Habitat Restore.

Should I assume a pre-med post-bacc is a waste of time and money?

Since it was expunged, I have heard of cases in this forum where you don't have to report it in the primary application, but you do in the secondary if they ask specifics on expunged or dismissed crimes. Use the search bar and don't do anything until you know what is right. I also have heard that not disclosing the information may be more detrimental than the offense.

But if you do report it in the primary, I think you should note this on your personal statement as you described it here. You were embarrassed, scared, and couldn't get yourself to purchase the material.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dangit with the fake sounding stories. Tackled? Before you even got to a register? Don’t believe you

Even if it was true...stealing at 23 would be a no go from me if I sat on an adcom

Reactions: 2 users
It would not have to be reported on AMCAS if it was expunged.

However, reading your post makes me question physician like attributes and you should really think about this.

Reactions: 1 user
Read the AMCAS application instructions carefully to determine if it must be reported.

If it comes up on a criminal background check, you will need to explain.

Sadly, your problem solving skills are weak and may sink you.

Reactions: 1 users
So much fail. Since when does a "man" care about some complexion imperfection? Guess it comes with the skinny jeans

I’m just curious as to why they’d tackle someone who was still inside the store and thus had not technically stolen anything yet. Not to meantion that you weren’t running.

Added drama to the story. More exciting. Its like an episode of Grey's Anatomy vs. real life.