can I get into Med school with a criminal record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doismydream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest you consider posting your legal-related issues for a Confidential Consult: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=421278

The phrase "three strikes and you're out" comes to mind, but we have no way of knowing what will actually show up in your background check. Expunged events have unfortunately come to light for other SDN posters.

No, the OP has created an account just for this post, so there is no need to post in "Confidential Consult", since I can't make it more anonymous there than it already is.

As far as the actual question, every adcom member sees this type of history differently, but all will need to make sure there is a clear line between the events you described and your application to medical school. The timeline you've provided suggests that it is far too early to consider applying to med school.

I agree with Tildy, that applying a year from now would be premature. First, I'd suggest working with your lawyer to be sure your background check information is as clean as it can be once the charges are down-graded. I suggest that three years of a clean record will be desirable before you apply to US schools. Meanwhile consider getting involved as a peer substance abuse counselor or in some other anti-drug activism. You can't just 'say' you've turned over a new leaf, you also have to 'show' it.

You might consider calling the California licensing body and asking about potential for future licensure in a situation like yours if you were able to complete med school somewhere.