Can I go anywhere with.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chicagoan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:eek: Wuz wonderin if I can gettin in to any MD SCHOOLS with a 16M MCAT and 3.03 GPA ??? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Chicagoan said:
:eek: Wuz wonderin if I can gettin in to any MD SCHOOLS with a 16M MCAT and 3.03 GPA ??? :(

Not anywhere in the U.S. Maybe the carribean (P.R.)

Schools in the Carribean will take you, but that is just about your only chance with those stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
Not the three that matter.
There are more than three medical schools in the Carribean from which people can get a fully accredited MD and practice medicine in the US. I worked in a Residency deparment, and we accepted residents from about ten Carribean medical schools, for instance.

Dr Trek 1 said:
There are more than three medical schools in the Carribean from which people can get a fully accredited MD and practice medicine in the US. I worked in a Residency deparment, and we accepted residents from about ten Carribean medical schools, for instance.

Hi
Thanks for replying back. I am planning to retake the MCAT in 2006 for the class of 2007. I think I just went off track when I took it in April. My score on AAMC's practice tests are significantly in the average range.
PS 10, VR 9+, BS 10

Till that time I think I will go do MS at some school. Do you know of any and what do you think I should do. I dont plan of going to the Carrib....

Await your replies...

You probably will go up when you retake the MCAT. However, keep in mind that peoples' scored typically do not increase deviate much when retaking the MCAT, however, there are many exceptions, and if you have that much deviation already, then I would be optimistic.

Even if you get a 30+ MCAT score, your 3.0 GPA is going to hurt you. Even if you have a 4.0 GPA while in grad school (as many grad students do), med schools do not give grad GPAs as much weight because grading in grad school is known for being heavily inflated. If you go for an MS, I would suggest some science related field to show med schools that you can handle upper level science classes to take the attention away from your undergrad GPA.
Good luck!

Jbienven said:
Not anywhere in the U.S. Maybe the carribean (P.R.)

I thought the med schools in Puerto Rico are the hardest to get into?

Don't they only take P.R. residents because it is state supported (even though it's not a state)?

Chicagoan said:
Hi
Thanks for replying back. I am planning to retake the MCAT in 2006 for the class of 2007. I think I just went off track when I took it in April. My score on AAMC's practice tests are significantly in the average range.
PS 10, VR 9+, BS 10

if that was your average aamc score then what do you think happened that made you score 13 points lower on the actual exam? were you just really nervous?? that's a big drop...

;) ya I realize that. But I really think that I accumulated alot of over confidence while taking the April MCAT. Real point is...I took it too easy while it wasnt.
My scores on 8R (10PS,9VR,9BS), 6R(8PS,10VR,10BS)...etc. I dont know what really happened. I thought of having my score rescored with the AAMC however they said that they cant do it anymore.

About increasing my GPA, I have the following options:
1) Stay in college, do a double major and increase GPA to atleast 3.6
2) Once I get this, I will graduate.

OR

1) Graduate with a 3.03-3.23 range.
2) Apply to MS schools that accept grads into medschool after MS graduation.
3) Do well in grad school.

What do you guys think ? Which route should I take. As far as the MCAT I will retake it in April 2006.

Also do you know of grad schools that accept grads into medschool ? And where would I have a good chance of being accepted?

Thanks

MB in SD said:
I thought the med schools in Puerto Rico are the hardest to get into?

Don't they only take P.R. residents because it is state supported (even though it's not a state)?
They are not the hardest to get into at all. Only one of the three, UPR, is state supported, the other two are private schools. The state schools does in fact accept only island residents or those with strong ties to the island as mentioned in their site. the other two schools do give some preference to island residents but they accept a significant number of mainland residents every year. Of those two, from what I gather, the students who go to Ponce are very close knit and seem happy with their school. They scale the MCAT scores for island residents for obvious cultural reasons (that is why their reported MCAT scores are so low in the MSAR), but if you are a mainland resident things change. When I spoke with the addcom there they told me that a good MCAT score for a mainland resident is 25 or more, its not written in stone though, they do look at the application as a whole.

With a score of 16 I dont see anyone getting accepted to either school. Retake the MCAT and reapply next year.

No they take US citizens, but you need to know how to speak spanish and read in spanish, because the classes are thought in spanish even though the tests are in English. That's what my friend told me. She was considering going down there until she got lucky and got in a state school.

I was accepted to UPR (the state school), and I was surprised to see that most of the classes there are taught in english. The powerpoint presentations, all handouts and official documentation and all exams are in english. I chose the school over three other med schools in the states and didnt know what to expect. Believe me the language issue was a HUGE worry for me, but I am glad to say that I was pleasently surprised.

Dr Who

Chicagoan said:
;) ya I realize that. But I really think that I accumulated alot of over confidence while taking the April MCAT. Real point is...I took it too easy while it wasnt.
My scores on 8R (10PS,9VR,9BS), 6R(8PS,10VR,10BS)...etc. I dont know what really happened. I thought of having my score rescored with the AAMC however they said that they cant do it anymore.
Duude, you're scaring me. I scored decently on all the AAMC practice exams (3R - 34, 4R - 29 5R - 30 6R-32), and I found the real MCAT to be close to the same difficulty. So did you find you were having a lot more trouble with the real thing than the practice ones?

Try not to sweat it to much. My Brother took the mcat last april. On his practice tests he scored between 29 and 32. On the real thing, he got a 36R.

gujuDoc said:
Sorry I thought I typed in NOW, rather then KNOW. Must have been typing tooooooo fast. :laugh: :laugh:

Actually, read the post right above this one, cuz that will give you some hope. :p
Ahhh, yes yes. Well, I have honestly NO guess as to what my score will be...I'm just gonna wait it out and hope for the best in October. :)

Similar question...

Transfer GPA around 3.0

Extra-Curriculars: Pretty good, with a leadership position in all the activities/clubs

Research: will be doing one year of cancer research

Volunteering: in high school for 3 years (which probably doesn't matter) and over the summer (2006) at the hospital in ER, pediatrics or with the nurses

Currently a junior at the school I have transferred to, trying to maintain my extra-curriculars, GPA for this year and April MCAT scores to be determined...

chances for a decent med-school?

Thanks. :)

What do you think happened on test day? Did you feel ok during the test? Do you think you mis-bubbled? Man, hearing your story freaks me out as well!!

Jannat said:
Similar question...

Transfer GPA around 3.0

Extra-Curriculars: Pretty good, with a leadership position in all the activities/clubs

Research: will be doing one year of cancer research

Volunteering: in high school for 3 years (which probably doesn't matter) and over the summer (2006) at the hospital in ER, pediatrics or with the nurses

Currently a junior at the school I have transferred to, trying to maintain my extra-curriculars, GPA for this year and April MCAT scores to be determined...

chances for a decent med-school?

Thanks. :)

I SAY DEPENDS ON YOUR MCAT SCORE and other "STUFF"