can i have some help with my school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spencerxd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I get some advice on which schools I should add, if any?

Cum GPA: 3.92
BCPM: 3.97
MCAT: 13P, 12B, 8V (33Q)
Cali Resident from a UC

lots of research, clinical, teaching exp, etc. i think the only hole in my app is the 8.
Here's my list (24 schools)

Albert Einstein
Baylor
Boston Univ.
Columbia
Cornell
Drexel
George Washington
Mount Sinai
Northwestern
NYMC
NYU
Stanford
Univ. of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Univ. of Chicago - Pritzker
UC Davis
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Univ. of Illinois
Univ. of Pennsylvania
Univ. of Pittsburgh
USC
Yale

Here are schools I'm still considering (can anyone recommend I add any of the below)?

Case Western
Creighton
Dartmouth
Duke
East Virginia Medical School
Georgetown
Harvard
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
Loyola
Mayo
Medical College of Ohio
Medical College of Wisconsin
Ohio State Univ.
Oregon
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Saint Louis
SUNY Downstate
Tufts
Univ. of Miami (Miller)
Univ. of Vermont
Univ. of Virginia
Univ. of Washington
Univ. of Wisconsin
Vanderbilt
VCU
Wake Forest
Washington Univ.
West Virginia Univ.

Members don't see this ad.

Either you are a troll and you will go bald in your early 20's or you'll do fine.

Apply broadly and early.

Now do me. See below

not a troll, would a troll put that 8 there? also im 22, and im not bald yet, so thats not gonna happen soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
24 is a pretty good # to apply to. i know you know this, but your biggest pitfall is that 8. also that you are from cali. because of this last point, you may want to add a few more.
NOT - UWash, Oregon, Wash U St Louis, WVU
CONSIDER - Creighton, Loyola, MC of Ohio, Penn State

you have some reaches on your maybe list. if i were you, i wouldn't do those ones (harvard, JHU) because your 8 may rule your out right away. then again, who knows.

I'd take Duke off of the "still considering" list.

Most people that I know who apply there for primaries never complete the monstrous secondaries.

k ill take duke off, i was leaning on not applying to schools in north carolina anyway

I heard there were a number of California matriculants at VCU in recent years. A related question: Is there a magic number of schools to apply to?

Either you are a troll and you will go bald in your early 20's or you'll do fine.

Apply broadly and early.

Now do me. See below

One suggestion. You have Penn and Drexel - both Philly schools - on your list, but not Jefferson Medical College. Of the five med schools in Philly, few would argue that Jefferson ranks second behind Penn. Add Jefferson.

I heard there were a number of California matriculants at VCU in recent years. A related question: Is there a magic number of schools to apply to?

there's no magic number. but for cali residents, i have heard 25-30 is pretty normal because its so hard to get into our own state schools. i dont know where you're from, but generally you have to assess your application and apply to as many schools as u feel necessary to "garantee" you'll get at least one acceptance. this is actually to save money, because it would cost more to reapply next year overall, then to apply to a few more schools this year.

I made this thread hoping to get some outside advice on which schools I may not yet applied to that would be wise for me to apply to considerng i have a good shot of getting in. on the other hand, i was hoping people could also tell me what schools NOT to apply to. thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming!

24 is a pretty good # to apply to. i know you know this, but your biggest pitfall is that 8. also that you are from cali. because of this last point, you may want to add a few more.
NOT - UWash, Oregon, Wash U St Louis, WVU
CONSIDER - Creighton, Loyola, MC of Ohio, Penn State

you have some reaches on your maybe list. if i were you, i wouldn't do those ones (harvard, JHU) because your 8 may rule your out right away. then again, who knows.

is it bad if you're from cali?

great stats!! i've been researching PBL recently. maybe that would help narrow your list down if you decide against it (i think cornell and case western, and probalby a few others do it).

how did you pick that preliminary list? I'm struggling with that myself

if you're applying to 20 something schools, keep in mind about the costs. you still need money for secondaries, travel fees, etc

if you're from a higher ranked UC (Cal etc.) apply to vanderbilt. They love undergrad reputation.