Can I pull this off? Please read.. it's probably been asked a lot but there is

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tristy

BairesYarnCreation @ etsy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this realistic? Ok, it has probably been asked 5000 times before and I did my searches, but there is a big decision depending on this, a decision on when am I going to graduate...and I already had to loose a year already (not counting the year that I didn't get in...

Ok, so I still have to take Step 1. Stupid me should have taken it MONTHS ago and get this f*ing thing over with. Last week I spoke to someone from the school (no names just in case, although there's probably quite a few people here that already know who I am :p) and I was basically told: you either take it in 4 weeks (3 now) and then you get to graduate in 2011, or you can take it later, start your rotations later, have like 6 moths off before residency and you don't get to graduate until 2012.

I almost puked, literally, thank goodness I was on the phone. I haven't been "officially studying",just reading here and there (I got back from Argentina about a month ago), listening to Goljan, that kind of things.

I feel like I just f*ed up my career,that even though I know that 3rd year grades are important I feel Step1 is uber important with cutoff points for some residencies (yes, I'm a high achiever and might want one of those residency programs, uuu, I'm going to hell for wanting that!), but I have no research under my belt (just one month working without pay at a lab from one of the professors at school, and loved it), no papers published, I didn't go to Ghana to help save AIDS children or did community service just like everybody and their mothers seem to be doing (or however it's called..I can barely think right now,I'm freaked out, and please don't patronize telling me that everybody here is freaked out ok?I know that.

So, if that's the only thing you can say to me just don't say anything and stay the f* out of it.

I busted my ***** for 2 years and now just one stupid exam is going to decide a lot of things. Great, just f*ing great. I also don't know if I want to stay in medschool (major crisis here), I found something else that I really like doing but it's unrealistic so I have to finish and keep going and going and going until my body and mind give out. Might be sooner...then I'd be in the news, hahaha <sarcasm>. Again, don't give me $hit, I've really had it, I'm in a position where I don't even know if I'm going to be breathing the next day.

I have 3 weeks, only 3 effing weeks to prepare for this exam, so I guess my question is, is it realistic to get an SDN score (or close to that, I mean,in the >240) in this amount of time? I think not,but I just wanted to hear some opinions...

Thank you guys :(

Members don't see this ad.

So, why didn't you take this months ago? What have you been doing? 3 weeks definitely isn't a lot of time, and I probably wouldn't recommend it. If you want to do something competitive, I probably wouldn't recommend any less than 5 weeks to really study.

Members don't see this ad :)
128696781801374748.jpg

Thanks for the great responses!! pezzo di merda, I was on a medical leave of absence you know ignoranti stronzo.

Oh man, what a vacation it was! I had sooooo much fun that I just couldn't make myself study! What an idiot, I know, I should I've known better but oh man, the fun! you wouldn't believe it! I wish I was still there, awww,I don't know,maybe I'll just go back and keep the fun coming for another year! I wish I had kept the pictures, haha, I met sooo many people, I had this favorite place that I went to once a week the whooole time I was there and it was so exhilarating you wouldn't believe it! I almost didn't want to leave. Oh yes! I had yet another favorite place that I went to after that,I had a blast there too! Dang it, too bad it's over! :( I don't know though, I might have to do it again you know? "You only live once!"

have you ever been diagnosed with bipolar disorder?

I don't know why people are being so aggressive, but in case this is a real post, here's my advice:

Three weeks of 11-12 hours a day of effort will get you a great score (i.e. above average) if you settle down and go high yield & connect the dots through working systems and associations instead of detail-oriented studying (that most people attempt for step 1)

DBTH77: Why? Are you bipolar or are you just stupid? At least one of them is treatable.

McGillGrad: Thanks for the advice! I think it makes at a lot of sense. My problem right now is that my doctor is an ***** and is not giving me the right treatment,so it's really tough to study more than 6 hours, my concentration is shot but I have to do it...right? I really don't want to loose another year, I just won't do it again, no way in he!! So I will try your advice, thank you :)

DBTH77: Why? Are you bipolar or are you just stupid? At least one of them is treatable.

McGillGrad: Thanks for the advice! I think it makes at a lot of sense. My problem right now is that my doctor is an ***** and is not giving me the right treatment,so it's really tough to study more than 6 hours, my concentration is shot but I have to do it...right? I really don't want to loose another year, I just won't do it again, no way in he!! So I will try your advice, thank you :)

If you can actually study for 6 hours (real studying) then that is enough. Just follow an adapted Taus method and you'll be ready to do the best with a bad situation.

I hope this helps:

[youtube]AuPdYkXlHRE[/youtube]

Its **** like this that really cracks me up hahaha, this guy like poured his heart out in a page long forum message, and he gets an immediate response with a Gucci Mang song hahahaha

^:laugh: seriously, SDN just gained +2 cool points from me for the random Gucci Mane link... thought I'd never see that here

it sounds like youve already wasted alot of time to begin with. i think you need someone to bear down on your ***** and stop you from dicking around. you said you had 4 weeks to study and now you have 3 weeks. Just by reading that it sounds as though you're not serious. 4 weeks is more time than our school gets off to prepare for boards. Most people study 2 weeks and take 2 weeks vacation. If you have gotten into medical school, i'm thinking you're smart enough to buckle down and get the job done. Don't blame your doctor for not prescribing you adderall for your own laziness. If you are having problems now, just wait until 3rd year or PGY-1.

It sounds like you're relying heavily on your board scores in order to score a competitive residency, but dont you think those residencies will ask you why you took so much time to finish medical school? don't fool yourself - residency program directors are shrewd people and theyre going to question everything in your application. The only way to show that you're a hard working serious medical student is by being a hard working serious medical student. Also, the more time you wait from 2nd year to take the boards, the less material you're going to remember.

Get off SDN, go grab First AID and UWorld and start pumping out questions and spend 14 hours a day studying, If you're actually serious about doing well. But judging from your post, it sounds like you're running out of steam and also the fact that you mentioned you found something else that you love doing instead means that you're literally just unmotivated to do so. Having an additional 6 months won't help you gain motivation, if anything it will demotivate you even more. Just suck it up and go study your butt off and take whatever score you get. Getting >240 in 3 weeks of studying is MORE than achievable- you just need to buckle down.

Members don't see this ad :)
ibut dont you think those residencies will ask you why you took so much time to finish medical school? don't fool yourself - residency program directors are shrewd people and theyre going to question everything in your application.

This I want to clarify: I didn't want to take the time off, but I was ill (I was so thin i was disgusting) and they basically MADE ME take the time off, plus it was near the month my father died (was going to take the exam in July, bam! he dies in July and I got to Argentina on the day he died, that's why I didn't take the exam last year...I was going to, but how could I have know that he was going to die or that my health was gonna get so F'd up?

As far as my leave goes, I can't change things. I had to miss a year to get into decent shape in terms of my health. I'll just leave it there, the story is long. But thanks though..

This I want to clarify: I didn't want to take the time off, but I was ill (I was so thin i was disgusting) and they basically MADE ME take the time off, plus it was near the month my father died (was going to take the exam in July, bam! he dies in July and I got to Argentina on the day he died, that's why I didn't take the exam last year...I was going to, but how could I have know that he was going to die or that my health was gonna get so F'd up?

As far as my leave goes, I can't change things. I had to miss a year to get into decent shape in terms of my health. I'll just leave it there, the story is long. But thanks though..

Damn I'm sorry, you've got the most excusable excuse i've heard .. I'm surprised your school administration isn't being more supportive. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to take some time off and recenter yourself. Don't want to feel rushed on top of the other things you have going on in your life. Good luck

I once had a histology professor tell me why medicine is synonymous with sacrifice. She said that medicine is one of the few professions where you are expected to competently continue working no matter the depth of your personal tragedy. She continued to tell me that if this price is too dear to pay then medicine was not in my future.

It was harsh at the time, but it is certainly turning out to be true.

Damn I'm sorry, you've got the most excusable excuse i've heard .. I'm surprised your school administration isn't being more supportive. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to take some time off and recenter yourself. Don't want to feel rushed on top of the other things you have going on in your life. Good luck

Options as I see them

1) Take the time off: There are worse things

2) graduate a year late, but DON'T take the year off. Pick up another degree or at least start working towards another degree. An MPH or MMA would be the obvious choices. Between the extra 6 months and all of your electives you should have more than enough time to add another set of initials to your name's alphabet soup.

3) Bust your ass for two weeks trying to get ready for this thing, and then try to get an approximate idea of your score using the Qbanks. If you're no where in range of the score you want, lose the year. If you're there, take the test. If you're close, risk the rescheduling fee, study hard core for 5 more days, and then test yourself again at the last minute to decide if you're going to take it or not.

And yeah, if you're even thinking about taking this thing, get your ass in gear. Every hour counts, so get off SDN.

I once had a histology professor tell me why medicine is synonymous with sacrifice. She said that medicine is one of the few professions where you are expected to competently continue working no matter the depth of your personal tragedy. She continued to tell me that if this price is too dear to pay then medicine was not in my future

One day we will finally manage to eliminate imbiciles like this from our profession and demand the same kind basic decency that every other profession has long since come to regard as a right. Sailors on aircraft carriers engaged in combat opperations get flown home when they have a parent die. There's no reason why a hospital or medical school should have such a problem with this.

.......One day we will finally manage to eliminate imbiciles like this from our profession and demand the same kind basic decency that every other profession has long since come to regard as a right. Sailors on aircraft carriers engaged in combat opperations get flown home when they have a parent die. There's no reason why a hospital or medical school should have such a problem with this.
:thumbup:

Also explains a lot about the quite evident silliness in most of that guy's posts.

This is a typical response for your generation. It's not your fault that your parents spoiled you (emotionally) but it is the reason why America is the becoming the laughing stock of the developed nations. This selfish attitude works fine in finance or banking, but sinks you in professions such as medicine (where your tragedy has to be balanced against the health/life of your patients).

No one is forcing you to go to med school. This is not a conscript military where you are forced to fight. You are a professional who has made a decision to enter a field that requires years of unpaid study (while other people make money). It is more than a job...and by expecting flexibility of a job that does not directly affect people's health is selfish.

And stop with the immature strawman arguments by trying to put words in my mouth. No one said a hospital wouldn't give you time off to attend to the death of a primary relative. Rank amateur antics on your part.

One day we will finally manage to eliminate imbiciles like this from our profession and demand the same kind basic decency that every other profession has long since come to regard as a right. Sailors on aircraft carriers engaged in combat opperations get flown home when they have a parent die. There's no reason why a hospital or medical school should have such a problem with this.

This is a typical response for your generation. It's not your fault that your parents spoiled you (emotionally) but it is the reason why America is the becoming the laughing stock of the developed nations. This selfish attitude works fine in finance or banking, but sinks you in professions such as medicine (where your tragedy has to be balanced against the health/life of your patients).

No one is forcing you to go to med school. This is not a conscript military where you are forced to fight. You are a professional who has made a decision to enter a field that requires years of unpaid study (while other people make money). It is more than a job...and by expecting flexibility of a job that does not directly affect people's health is selfish.

And stop with the immature strawman arguments by trying to put words in my mouth. No one said a hospital wouldn't give you time off to attend to the death of a primary relative. Rank amateur antics on your part.

What generation is that? Well, I'm not as young as most medical students, was not "spoiled" by my parents (my upbringing was pretty hardcore), and I also don't think it is necessary to martyr yourself in the name of medicine. I agree with you that one should have the capacity to put personal things aside when dealing with school or patients and believe in the value of hard work, but one should also be realistic here. If something is becoming a personal problem and it's really impacting one's life, it should be addressed, not ignored, or powered through. This has nothing to do with laziness, selfishness, or whatnot. It is not a sign of weakness. It has to do with being a human being and not a freaking machine, and it has to do with being a more effective physician and a happier, more healthy person, having addressed the problems. If these things are impacting your life so much, then you bet they are going to impact how you work. I know there's a lot expected of physicians, and rightly so, given the gravity of the responsibility, but this doesn't mean taking care of ourselves should take a backseat at every turn, to the point where we compromise on our humanity and/or health. To the contrary. We need to take excellent care of ourselves. Your health and well-being should never be ignored, just like you would never ask your patients to ignore such things. Taking good care of ourselves is part of taking good care of our patients. It only makes sense to give ourselves the same compassion we give our patients.

It seems to me that the OP has had a lot things come up in very short time. I'm not saying we should feel sorry for her (I don't think she wants that, either), but good God, people, show some compassion and understanding. I don't know what it's like to lose someone that close to me or what it's like to have her maladies, but I do think there was a lot of pain involved and I highly doubt that any of it was trivial.

Last edited:

Part of being a doctor is losing your humanity. Got it.

You and I are talking about different things. In fact, we agree on most everything you have said.

And my response is independent of the OP's situation. I was making a general statement which seems to be repeatedly misunderstood. It must be my fault for failing to present it clearly.

What generation is that? Well, I'm not as young as most medical students, was not "spoiled" by my parents (my upbringing was pretty hardcore), and I also don't think it is necessary to martyr yourself in the name of medicine. ... Taking good care of ourselves is part of taking good care of our patients. It only makes sense to give ourselves the same compassion we give our patients.

It seems to me that the OP has had a lot things come up in very short time. I'm not saying we should feel sorry for her (I don't think she wants that, either), but good God, people, show some compassion and understanding. I don't know what it's like to lose someone that close to me or what it's like to have her maladies, but I do think there was a lot of pain involved and I highly doubt that any of it was trivial.

Gucci mane hits woman

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY_ePw--0D4[/YOUTUBE]