Can I self-study mcat before completing pre-req courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milktea475

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am in my Junior year and will be graduating in 2020.

I am planning on taking the mcat next summer of 2019 because I do not want to take a gap year since I am already a year behind than everyone else.

So far, I have completed general biology and general chemistry from pre-reqs.
I am taking ochem1 and 2 this coming year. I have not yet taken physics 1&2 and biochemistry.

Is it possible to study for mcat while learning ochem in school and teaching my self physics and biochem on my own?
I plan to self-teach physics and biochemistry and ochem(along with learning from school) using online materials and books this winter and will start studying mcat entirely next semester.
I know it sounds rediculous but I think I can manage myself to do that.. and i think mcat requires the basic understanding of the materials rather than deep, thorough understanding.

It would be really helpful to hear stories such as studying mcat while in school, self-studying mcat not majoring in science, etc.

thanks a lot!!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the MCAT without physics 1 or 2 completed. It was my lowest section. I think I would have scored 1-3 points higher having those classes done. I think you should have them done prior. It will only hurt your score. I’m sure people do amazing without them, but for most, it will just hurt.

Reactions: 1 user
Take biochem.
Im taking genetics and ochem this fall semester. If I take biochem in addition to those classes, is it manageable? Maintaining my GPA etc.

I know that physics and ochem are relatively small portion of the mcat.. do you think is it possible to self study them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say to take Ochem 1 and Biochem at least, Genetics is helpful but not needed you could push that back. Once you complete biochem you are going to want 2-3 months at least of dedicated study. I took 4 super easy courses and they sapped more time from me than I anticipated and it reflected in my score of 507.

You may be able to self-teach physics as it is mostly applying and manipulating equations and ochem if you get the main ideas, but I think that biochem would be best taken in a class as it is very comprehensive and you may not get the whole picture as you would in a class.

I am in the exact same boat as OP. Unfortunately my college requires O-Chem 2 as a pre-req for biochem. I will be self teaching and taking the MCAT this upcoming spring to apply for the 2019-2020 cycle.

Rushing to take the MCAT is a disaster waiting to happen. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with taking a gap year, or starting 2+ years behind