Can I skip one or two prerequisite courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melonld

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it really important to meet all the requirements of prerequisite courses? I don't have any credits of economics or English composition. Will it hurt my application? Must I make up for them?

Members don't see this ad.

melonld said:
Is it really important to meet all the requirements of prerequisite courses? I don't have any credits of economics or English composition. Will it hurt my application? Must I make up for them?
Yes, you must take them. I don't know of any school that will let them slide.

UCSF accepted me, but told me I needed to take another English course since I only had 1, as well as retake some prereqs that I'd already taken and received As in--I just hadn't taken these classes in California.

Midwestern in Glendale also made a big deal about some class I needed, I don't even remember which one now.

MCPHS-Worcester required me to take 2 psychology classes, and when they hadn't received the 3rd transcript I had requested by the end of the first week of classes last fall, they told me I would not be able to continue with my classes at MCPHS. I freaked out. I'm going to get kicked out of pahrmacy school over a child psychology class! Luckily, it arrived in a few days and everything was ok.

Bottom line: if it's listed as a prereq, you need to take it, no matter how irrelevant it seems.

melonld said:

Not only do school require the courses they list, but most will hold you to the number of credit hours. I was missing one credit hour under "humanities" and ended up having to take an extra class to cover that single hour.

Members don't see this ad :)
well i don't think it will hurt you

you will probably have to make them up again at your college

not all schools require econ.

If they're listed as a pre-requisite for that school, you will eventually have to take them before you enroll in Pharmacy school. I doubt it will hurt your application, because a lot people finish up their pre-requisites the semester before they enroll in Pharmacy school. I was accepted to Pharmacy school for the Fall '06 semester, and I am missing one class, Theology. That is the only class holding me back from Pharmacy school. I spoke to the school and they told me if I don't get credit for Theology by the end of this summer, I will not be admitted to Pharmacy school and I would have to apply again next year. They strictly said, any deficiencies in the pre-requisites will result in my acceptance rescinded or withdrawal from the College of Pharmacy in the event of enrollment.

I'm from New Orleans and because of Hurricane Katrina, the schools in New Orleans that offer Theology don't have a summer semester this year. They are in the middle of thier "Spring '06" semester making up for the lost semester due to Katrina. So I had to register at the University of St.Thomas in Houston, TX for thier Summer II session which is 4 weeks long. Even though Theology has nothing to do with pharmacy, I still have to take it, because my pharmacy school is a Catholic school, and I must take Theology to attend their pharmacy school.

I got the point. I will take OSU as my #1 choice since it has the most reasonable prereq. BTW, I am in OSU right now. Do you think that's an advantage?

im from california currently in community college and taking most of the pre-reqs there and finishing up probably 3 other pre-reqs after i transfer to a 4-year...will i end up having to retake the community college courses? do pharm schools accept the courses i took there?

ttran01 said:
im from california currently in community college and taking most of the pre-reqs there and finishing up probably 3 other pre-reqs after i transfer to a 4-year...will i end up having to retake the community college courses? do pharm schools accept the courses i took there?

Most Pharmacy schools will accept your community college courses, but if you want to be positive, then ask the schools you plan on applying to.

I was one math credit short for my pre-reqs for pharmacy school. I'd taken AP Calc in HS so I tested out of Calc I into Calc II, therefore skipping the College Algebra and Calc I (which I think they just assume everybody takes, since most schools require 6 credit hours). I did take a 5 credit Calc for non-math majors, so I really was 1 credit short. I didn't really feel the need to take Calc II. I also had my B.S., so maybe they were more willing to overlook that deficiency.

Econ and English will come into play somewhere down the line. They are important classes to take, even if you think you'll never use them. Summer school is a great option for pre-reqs such as that, since they ususally don't require a whole lot of effort (at least that's how I found it).

get this everyone
I took macroeconomics my freshman year, thinking I was going into business. I hated it, decided Im not doing business, and took it pass/fail because I figured Id get a B in the class. I actually would ahve gotten a B-, however, since I changed the grade option, I have a pass in the class. pharm schools require letter grades for pre-reqs!!!
so now I may ultimately have to take another econ class!!!!!!
and it really sucks in my situation to take it over the summer, because I wont be able to get an internship or do research, and my community college is ($250 per credit), while my suny is $181 per credit, but then Id have to stay at my suny and pay more for housing...

to think that they could make an exception for one tiny class but no... :(

AtomicLuv said:
get this everyone
I took macroeconomics my freshman year, thinking I was going into business. I hated it, decided Im not doing business, and took it pass/fail because I figured Id get a B in the class. I actually would ahve gotten a B-, however, since I changed the grade option, I have a pass in the class. pharm schools require letter grades for pre-reqs!!!
so now I may ultimately have to take another econ class!!!!!!
and it really sucks in my situation to take it over the summer, because I wont be able to get an internship or do research, and my community college is ($250 per credit), while my suny is $181 per credit, but then Id have to stay at my suny and pay more for housing...

to think that they could make an exception for one tiny class but no... :(

I know how you feel. I was hoping they would make an exception for my one Theology class and let me take it during the Fall while I'm in my P1 year. Nope! They won't allow it. So I had to quit my job and move to Houston, TX for 1 1/2 months to take Theology. It's $565 per credit hour at this school. I had to pay $1,800 out of pocket. I was hoping to pick up a few grand by working full time this summer, but now I lost out on that, because they won't make that one tiny exception. Come on... it's not like it's a science course, it's Theology, which is nothing related to Pharmacy. What really makes it worse is my teacher is a nun, and she is very strict. The semester is 4 weeks long, and I have a research paper and an essay exam due every week, not to mention pop quizes every other day. :(

AtomicLuv said:
...and my community college is ($250 per credit), ...(
$250 per hour for a community college?! My state university was only $125 per hour, and the CC was $36 (and I graduated in 2000--I'm not THAT old!).

I took some classes in 2003 at a California CC, and it was only $11. There was a huge protest when they raised it to $18, and now I think it's about $30.

a504n said:
If they're listed as a pre-requisite for that school, you will eventually have to take them before you enroll in Pharmacy school. I doubt it will hurt your application, because a lot people finish up their pre-requisites the semester before they enroll in Pharmacy school. I was accepted to Pharmacy school for the Fall '06 semester, and I am missing one class, Theology. That is the only class holding me back from Pharmacy school. I spoke to the school and they told me if I don't get credit for Theology by the end of this summer, I will not be admitted to Pharmacy school and I would have to apply again next year. They strictly said, any deficiencies in the pre-requisites will result in my acceptance rescinded or withdrawal from the College of Pharmacy in the event of enrollment.

I'm from New Orleans and because of Hurricane Katrina, the schools in New Orleans that offer Theology don't have a summer semester this year. They are in the middle of thier "Spring '06" semester making up for the lost semester due to Katrina. So I had to register at the University of St.Thomas in Houston, TX for thier Summer II session which is 4 weeks long. Even though Theology has nothing to do with pharmacy, I still have to take it, because my pharmacy school is a Catholic school, and I must take Theology to attend their pharmacy school.
a504n Are you Xavier student?

akaka said:
a504n Are you Xavier student?

No, I'm not. Well, I was accepted to their College of Pharmacy for the Fall '06 term, but I was not a Xavier Pre-Pharmacy student.

a504n said:
No, I'm not. Well, I was accepted to their College of Pharmacy for the Fall '06 term, but I was not a Xavier Pre-Pharmacy student.

What physics courses are accepted, most schools just list that they require two physics courses with labs.

trice13 said:
What physics courses are accepted, most schools just list that they require two physics courses with labs.

Xavier requires general physics lecture and general physics lab. That's it.

trice13 said:

that's the same thing im wondering........which one is better, the general physics or the physics for engineering (this is the one i took), or are they all the same?

tdkneo said:
that's the same thing im wondering........which one is better, the general physics or the physics for engineering (this is the one i took), or are they all the same?

I think the general physics deals with algebra and trigonometry, where as the engineering physics deals with calculus.