Can I start a bidding war??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Questions:

1. I have 4 medical school acceptances so far, can I start a bidding war?
2. How do I start a bidding war?
3. If I ask for financial aid in a respectful manner, could schools take offense and take back my acceptance?
4. When can I start a bidding war if it is possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Questions:

3. If I ask for financial aid in a respectful manner, could schools take offense and take back my acceptance?

Do it! :D:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe you can start bullying the lowest ranked school on your list.

Before I edited this. I had shown the link to a racist thread that was started by Lukkie.

I will choose to be the bigger man.

Lets get back to the question at hand please

You guys have a fantastic way to help yourselves deal with assclowns* such as this guy. It's called the ignore button. To wit:

o Find the user that you don't want to hear from, and click on the user's name.
o Click on View public profile
o Click on User Lists (in the bar directly beneath the name and status)
o click on Add User X to your Ignore List
o Reload the page you were originally viewing
o Voila! No more assclown.* :) (It's as if their posts never existed)

*I'm not calling anyone an assclown. This is a direct copy/paste.

Questions:

1. Not yet
2. After getting fin aid, you tell them that you would really like to come to the school, but you do not think you would be able to afford it, unless you got a fin aid package that matches another school
3. I do not think that they would rescind an offer if you say that you need more money to be able to go to the school.
4. After you get your fin aid package.

You guys have a fantastic way to help yourselves deal with assclowns* such as this guy. It's called the ignore button. To wit:

o Find the user that you don't want to hear from, and click on the user's name.
o Click on View public profile
o Click on User Lists (in the bar directly beneath the name and status)
o click on Add User X to your Ignore List
o Reload the page you were originally viewing
o Voila! No more assclown.* :) (It's as if their posts never existed)

*I'm not calling anyone an assclown. This is a direct copy/paste.

Thank you for the info. I will be blocking Lukkie

SDN is so gay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not speaking from knowledge but my own sense of incredulity.

Since when does a medical school applicant have any leverage to negotiate financial aid just because he or she has multiple acceptances? Aren't there plenty of qualified people on the waitlist (who probably have multiple acceptances) waiting to fill that slot?

I know pre-meds like to stroke ourselves about how special we are, but even amongst the most qualified of us, aren't we a little cookie-cutter? I mean I'm trying to put myself in the mind of an adcom or finAid person whose seen a stream of tens of thousands of applicants with GPA and MCAT and volunteering and research and clinical activities and club presidencies and somehow a pre-med with multiple acceptances is going to phase them? Somehow that amounts to leverage to twist their arms?

I don't buy it. I REALLY REALLY don't buy it. Unless you've first authored in Nature or Science as an undergrad or won the medal of honor, I REALLY REALLY don't buy it.

Since when does a medical school applicant have any leverage to negotiate financial aid just because he or she has multiple acceptances? Aren't there plenty of qualified people on the waitlist (who probably have multiple acceptances) waiting to fill that slot?

I know pre-meds like to stroke ourselves about how special we are, but even amongst the most qualified of us, aren't we a little cookie-cutter? I mean I'm trying to put myself in the mind of an adcom or finAid person whose seen a stream of tens of thousands of applicants with GPA and MCAT and volunteering and research and clinical activities and club presidencies and somehow a pre-med with multiple acceptances is going to phase them? Somehow that amounts to leverage to twist their arms?

I don't buy it. I REALLY REALLY don't buy it. Unless you've first authored in Nature or Science as an undergrad or won the medal of honor, I REALLY REALLY don't buy it.

QFT. Without demi-god status no bidding war will ensue.

Edit: Congrats on the acceptances.

If you were accepted you have more than what the waitlist can offer. The school wants you because they extended an acceptance, not a waitlist spot. This said, you can barter your financial aid packages. Many schools have extra money "sitting around" that can be used to lull people in. The financial aid package usually is not an end-all package. Its as malleable as playdoh if you know what you are doing. You aren't going to get 10k's though, of course.

Its as malleable as playdoh if you know what you are doing. You aren't going to get 10k's though, of course.

That I get. Eking out a few extra K by gaming the system I get. But "bidding WAR" implies something wholely different. We're not professional athletes.

My impression though is that schools "lure" competitive applicants through merit-based grants and scholarships for which you don't get alot of input (beyond your application) into whether you're getting. But I do understand that you might "massage" the process alittle.
But again my basic point is this. Having multiple acceptances doesn't seem like a whole lot of leverage. Being one of the very best applicants they've accepted, maybe.

Questions:

One Dollar!!!!!

Um, some schools DEFINITELY do this, I have friend who were able to. They will "adjust" one need-based package in response to another. I did this successfully for undergrad and it felt really good :D so OP, I definitely suggest you do it! My theory is that, yes, you are replaceable, but it's bad for their ego to lose you to a competitor.

I'll raise it to $1.01

On a more serious note I don't think they can rescind your application, but you could ask for better aid to match another school, after you get your financial packages. I don't think you can get more than a match, so it wouldn't really be a full blown bidding war.

If finances are really tight and there really isn't a feasible way to go to that school without more aid, you could write a really good withdrawal letter stating your strong desire to attend but citing finances as the major reason why you're regretfully withdrawing. (If you wanted to attend the school regardless I wouldn't recommend doing this cause it's obviously not guaranteed)

Questions:

What Lukkie was implying in her post was that she feels like you are getting a little big for your britches, in other words your getting full of yourself because of your multiple acceptances. She is implying that, combined with your previous post about rubbing your acceptances in someones face, you are displaying a low level of maturity, and that this feels a bit Trollish because it could be perceived that you are trying to rub your schools in other people's faces.

Medical schools aren't going to bid for you, if you tell them "hey a couple extra thousand dollars is what I need to come to your medical school, because you are my top choice but I really can't afford the debt", they very well might roll with you on this. However, calling up ALL of the schools and doing the same thing, and then trying to repeat will get you nothing. Remember, all acceptances are preliminary. I doubt they would revoke your acceptance because of a little money grubbing, but don't push too hard.

P.S. You have four acceptances and all you care about is finances? Don't you have one that you felt that you "fit" at?

What Lukkie was implying in her post was that she feels like you are getting a little big for your britches, in other words your getting full of yourself because of your multiple acceptances. She is implying that, combined with your previous post about rubbing your acceptances in someones face, you are displaying a low level of maturity, and that this feels a bit Trollish because it could be perceived that you are trying to rub your schools in other people's faces.

Medical schools aren't going to bid for you, if you tell them "hey a couple extra thousand dollars is what I need to come to your medical school, because you are my top choice but I really can't afford the debt", they very well might roll with you on this. However, calling up ALL of the schools and doing the same thing, and then trying to repeat will get you nothing. Remember, all acceptances are preliminary. I doubt they would revoke your acceptance because of a little money grubbing, but don't push too hard.

P.S. You have four acceptances and all you care about is finances? Don't you have one that you felt that you "fit" at?

I feel that I would fit at 3/4 schools very well. One school is on the west coast (where I want to stay) but costs like 20k per year more. that was my question as to whether or not there was potential to reduce some of that 20k difference.

I feel that I would fit at 3/4 schools very well. One school is on the west coast (where I want to stay) but costs like 20k per year more. that was my question as to whether or not there was potential to reduce some of that 20k difference.
So why didn't you just say that instead of bidding war? No wonder you were bullied in high school. You deliberately ASK for it.

^
You are an asshat.

Thanks for all of the very kind and helpful advice everyone!
I think I have it all figured out now.

Money doesn't grow on trees, son.

Money doesn't grow on trees, son.

Course not, but at the same time it shouldn't be the only factor. In the end, being happy for four years is worth a small amount of debt. Now, maybe happiness isn't the difference between no debt and 250,000 in it, but still.

Before I edited this. I had shown the link to a racist thread that was started by Lukkie.

I will choose to be the bigger man.

Lets get back to the question at hand please
Yes. That totally makes you the bigger man. Before I edited this, I had wrote that you were a complete *****.

I will choose to be the bigger man though.

I put on like 10 pounds this week. And I started large.

That makes me the bigger man.

Yes. That totally makes you the bigger man. Before I edited this, I had wrote that you were a complete *****.

I will choose to be the bigger man though.

hahaha. Touche.

SDN needs a weekly "vote an asshat member off our island" thread where we all post who we want banned forever and cite previous threads and posts to support our choice.

Of course I am going to be the bigger man and remain quiet as to who I would vote for.

Status
Not open for further replies.