Can I still be competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMT7009

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this so I apologize if this isn't where this is supposed to be. I am currently a sophomore in college pursuing cellular/molecular development. Basically my question is, after a few bad months, is my academic situation fixable so that I can be somewhat competitive for medical school.

Spring of freshman year, I was experiencing a medical condition (an autoimmune disorder causing inflammation of the kidneys and open lesions on the skin) that was causing consistent hospitalizations, days out of class and pretty consistent pain. Last semester I had an A, Bs and a B- which I know isn't great. I finished with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 for that year. This current year, my condition has worsened causing consistent pain and time out of classes. This year I started a new medication that should treat all of my symptoms but it takes months to take effect. That being said, my grades are really taking a hit. My highest grade is a B. The rest are Cs and I'm on track to get mostly Cs which will be a huge hit to my cumulative GPA. I know I'll get better in the coming months, but the consistent pain and time in hospitals has made focusing impossible and therefore, getting good grades very difficult.

Medicine is my passion. I have been an EMT for the past two years and enjoy the days when I get to work. I have a large amount of volunteer hours at local hospitals as well. I also have a fair amount of extra curriculars such as flight teams, and volunteer firefighting. I do understand that extra curriculars do not count for much but I thought I'd include it so all of the information is there.

All of this being said, what are my chances of being competitive enough to get into medical school? I know I can make up for this semester when the pain and hospital visits subside but I'd like to know how much my current GPA and poor semester will set me back.

Members don't see this ad.