Can I survive podiatry school? Please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clovers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having doubts on wether or not I am capable of surviving podiatry school. I mean I study and get good grades but that doesn't guarantee that I will make it through podiatry school. In podiatry school, there will be a lot of classes that includes a lab. I am really bad when it comes to lab. In anatomy lab, I always let other people do the dissection or the experiment and I just read the directions for them. Strangely enough, in classes that includes a lab I get no grade lower than a B+. In g. chem lab, I read the directions and carry out the experiment but most of the time I don't know what's going on. For example, I perform steps 1-5 then when I get to step 6 I usually forget what happend in step 1 or 2. I often feel like I was the dumbiest student in lab because everyone would know what they are doing and I am still trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do. Sometimes I feel that I have A.D.D when it comes to lab. This really worries me b/c in podiatry you have to do surgery and residency is all about following directions. Any advise you guys/gals can give me in regards to this. I've been stressing out a lot lately over this matter. Thank you so much for each and every advise you guys can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

Clovers said:
Hi all,

I am having doubts on wether or not I am capable of surviving podiatry school. I mean I study and get good grades but that doesn't guarantee that I will make it through podiatry school. In podiatry school, there will be a lot of classes that includes a lab. I am really bad when it comes to lab. In anatomy lab, I always let other people do the dissection or the experiment and I just read the directions for them. Strangely enough, in classes that includes a lab I get no grade lower than a B+. In g. chem lab, I read the directions and carry out the experiment but most of the time I don't know what's going on. For example, I perform steps 1-5 then when I get to step 6 I usually forget what happend in step 1 or 2. I often feel like I was the dumbiest student in lab because everyone would know what they are doing and I am still trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do. Sometimes I feel that I have A.D.D when it comes to lab. This really worries me b/c in podiatry you have to do surgery and residency is all about following directions. Any advise you guys/gals can give me in regards to this. I've been stressing out a lot lately over this matter. Thank you so much for each and every advise you guys can give me.

Dont worry too much about this, you will be fine. The Biological sciences are a lot more clear cut than some of the Chem of Physics labs that you may had this problem in. Most of your education will be memorization and critical thinking. I used to get that same feeling when it came to doing the processes in the chem or physics labs. However, I realized that if the material doesn't interest me (the borning written out instructions) or if it cannot reach my intellectual threshold, I wont be able to perform normally. If your creative like me, you probably like to make your own instuctions rather than some written nonsense that is spread out in many steps that common sense would include a few steps. Anyway, how did you do in Anatomy or Biochemistry? If you have a devine interest in the medical sciences and have the motivation to learn the material you should be fine.

Some people are really good in lab and some aren't. However, if you aren't into dissecting that could be a problem considering there is a cadaver lab with the anatomy course. I know that you usually work with a group though, so as long as you learn the material it shouldn't be a problem. It might be a problem for surgery though. Anyways, there's more to the courses than just labs and if you can do the material you will do just fine. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Clovers said:
Hi all,

LoL reminds me of my pre-med years, trust me, most of those people in the lab did not know what was going on or did not give a crap, they just wanted to get their data and be out. I remember so many times students watching other students to see what they are boiling or what beaker to bring out and they just do the same (too lazy to even read the instructions). A Lot of times those who looked to do what the other table was doing was following the wrong procedure because the adjacent table did not know what the hell they were doing in Chem and Orgo.
But Anatomy , we alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll loved the carving... Everyone in my group loved the scapula ;)

doclm said:
Dont worry too much about this, you will be fine. The Biological sciences are a lot more clear cut than some of the Chem of Physics labs that you may had this problem in. Most of your education will be memorization and critical thinking. I used to get that same feeling when it came to doing the processes in the chem or physics labs. However, I realized that if the material doesn't interest me (the borning written out instructions) or if it cannot reach my intellectual threshold, I wont be able to perform normally. If your creative like me, you probably like to make your own instuctions rather than some written nonsense that is spread out in many steps that common sense would include a few steps. Anyway, how did you do in Anatomy or Biochemistry? If you have a devine interest in the medical sciences and have the motivation to learn the material you should be fine.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I guess I feel a little bit less stressed. I haven't taken biochem yet but I will though. I've taken anatomy and physiology and got A's in them. Anatomy was wat lead me to podiatry. I'm really good at memoring but bad at concepts. For those of you who are currently in pod school, what are your schedules like? Is it like class from 8-5 then study till morning?

Clovers said:
Hi all,

Depending on what school you attend, there are varying basic science schedules. At CPMS (DMU), we only have anatomy and physical diagnosis lab (which isn't really a "lab"). Our histology lab is online and the other classes have maybe, maybe a one day 2 hour lab. I'm a big fan of getting out of the lab. I hate labs and microscopes. Trust me you'll be fine.

Clovers said:
Hi all,

Just my 2 cents, try to rid yourself of any anxiety before you enter Pod. School or any other professional school. It will make it easier when you are actually in the program. If needed see a pyhciatrist or therapist to see if you really do have ADD or Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and treat them before you find yourself in piles of debt and doubting your own abilities.

MD2b20004 said:
Just my 2 cents, try to rid yourself of any anxiety before you enter Pod. School or any other professional school. It will make it easier when you are actually in the program. If needed see a pyhciatrist or therapist to see if you really do have ADD or Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and treat them before you find yourself in piles of debt and doubting your own abilities.

I think that this is overboard. Everyone gets nervous when a major change occurs, if you run to a shrink everytime something happens you are as crazy as you think you are.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I think that this is overboard. Everyone gets nervous when a major change occurs, if you run to a shrink everytime something happens you are as crazy as you think you are.
Exactly, only the OP knows his level of anxiety and whether it is the common anxiety we have before exams, etc... or more medical/clinical that can affect his/her health or them performing to their best at any professional school.