Can I talk about getting my girlfriend pregnant in "challenge you have faced" essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I never said I'd eat my shirt if they were a troll. I said I'd eat it if that was the only reason people were responding the way they were (rather than just being judgemental, for example)...
I understood what you said perfectly but disagree that the responses were anything more judgmental than slamming down an obvious troll. So yes you are now obligated "to eat your shirt". Bon apetit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I understood what you said perfectly but disagree that the responses were anything more judgmental than slamming down an obvious troll. So yes you are now obligated "to eat your shirt". Bon apetit.
If I thought your opinion was the final verdict on matters, we'd never have been having this conversation in the first place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just as I figured - when it came down to eating your shirt you were all talk and no action. :()
Nah, I just figure if we're going to have biased, subjective criteria (it's inevitable given the premise) I may as well stick with the perspective that's biased in my direction!

There are a whole host of ways that this could have been challenging for OP. Just because they didn't end up raising a child doesn't mean that it wasn't a difficult decision for him and his girlfriend both. I don't know why everyone is jumping on the guy like it's assumed that he browbeat his poor gf into aborting.

I will agree with you on one thing. I am also absolutely sickened at how low sdn has gone with this thread. I mean seriously. We have wasted valuable question and answer time arguing over a troll post and it has reached the point where it is only being argued just to save face despite obvious ramifications to the sdn community at large.

Last edited:
Just as I figured - when it came down to eating your shirt you were all talk and no action. :()

I can't read this particular wording from L2D, with the frown face of all things, and not see something Freudian.

This is why any action you propose to take, you should at the end of the day be willing to do on a dare, even if you're not doing because you're wrong, but just to show you can follow through. That's how to save face.

Claim you will do something sexually perverted no one thinks you want to do, but you secretly do. Then you will always win.
ProLifeTip: don't ever say you'll eat something you're not willing to eat

I will agree with you on one thing. I am also absolutely sickened at how low sdn has gone with this thread. I mean seriously. We have wasted valuable question and answer time arguing over a troll post and it has reached the point where it is only being argued just to save face despite obvious ramifications to the sdn community at large.
Well done at managing that while staying within the TOS. Of course, if this is 'just a troll thread' then nothing in here impacts the 'sdn community at large', right?

I can't read this particular wording from L2D, with the frown face of all things, and not see something Freudian.

This is why any action you propose to take, you should at the end of the day be willing to do on a dare, even if you're not doing because you're wrong, but just to show you can follow through. That's how to save face.

Claim you will do something sexually perverted no one thinks you want to do, but you secretly do. Then you will always win.
ProLifeTip: don't ever say you'll eat something you're not willing to eat
Maybe I secretly want to eat my shirt! No, really, I'd rather eat my shirt than dare anything remotely sexual on SDN.
...or maybe the point was that there's literally no way to convince me that those initial posters were only reacting to a troll. Sure, that may have let them let it out of the bag (though I still think this is more a case of third-party retroactive justification), but that kind of judgement existed at some level in order for them to think of posting it. It's a natural knee-jerk reaction to these instances, not that severe...just one I think ought to be avoided. They're also not the types to go "hey, it's a troll, let's say something as ridiculous as their question that I don't even believe."

Well done at managing that while staying within the TOS. Of course, if this is 'just a troll thread' then nothing in here impacts the 'sdn community at large', right?

Maybe I secretly want to eat my shirt! No, really, I'd rather eat my shirt than dare anything remotely sexual on SDN.
...or maybe the point was that there's literally no way to convince me that those initial posters were only reacting to a troll. Sure, that may have let them let it out of the bag (though I still think this is more a case of third-party retroactive justification), but that kind of judgement existed at some level in order for them to think of posting it. It's a natural knee-jerk reaction to these instances, not that severe...just one I think ought to be avoided. They're also not the types to go "hey, it's a troll, let's say something as ridiculous as their question that I don't even believe."
Sounds like you might have been the only one trolled here, both by the initial poster and then apparently by the responders you perceived to have an agenda but probably didn't...

the 3 of us are trolling each other, right now
:cigar:

should a medical career oriented website have an emoticon that smokes a cigar?
#microtrigger
#derail thread
#millennials
#politics

A lot of the secondaries are asking things like

Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

I saw on the past threads that @LizzyM said adcoms want to know your mechanisms of what you do when **** hits the fan.

Can I talk about how my girlfriend got pregnant, we freaked out, and then she got an abortion? Will this get me rejected because there was poor judgment in regards to birth control and adcoms will be like "this guy is not fit for med school".

I don't know if it's too risque. Please advise.

I honestly doubt your judgement and intelligence just for asking that question (even though I'm pro-choice). I would say a good number of adcoms would reject you based on their anti-abortion slant.

As someone who's spent some years in a low socioeconomic class, these responses seem overly harsh and dismissive. In the circles of people I grew up around, abortions and adoption plans are common. It isn't taboo to admit to having an abortion (because your peers likely have had one or considered one at some point, too) or to have chosen an adoption plan for the child (or "giving the child up", as some would say).

I've been in higher education long enough now to know better than to try and discuss this situation with any tact, but I can easily see how someone else may not know better. I agree with the advice in this thread that encourages the OP not to discuss this in a professional application, but I do not agree with the instant dismissal of the OP as a troll. I think a lot of people on SDN forget the lack of professional training some applicants' backgrounds may have, and the mentality of "this question is so stupid, you can't be serious" is so incredibly damaging to applicants with those backgrounds, who often need the constructive advice most of all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I think a lot of people on SDN forget the lack of professional training some applicants' backgrounds may have, and the mentality of "this question is so stupid, you can't be serious" is so incredibly damaging to those backgrounds, who often need the constructive advice most of all.
Thank you for this clear, eloquent explanation. This is gold, and I'll definitely be stealing it for later use sometime.

Sounds like you might have been the only one trolled here, both by the initial poster and then apparently by the responders you perceived to have an agenda but probably didn't...
Agenda? No. But they were overly judgemental towards people in these situations, which has broader implications than shutting down 1 OP. This isn't an easy decision for anyone to make, and those who have had to, don't need to face comments like those in every circle they're in throughout the rest of their lives. You don't know the life story of everyone reading these threads, let's not make a toxic environment, even inadvertently, when we don't have to.

I love how everyone has gotten so defensive at the idea that OP may be an actual person, who actually found this situation difficult (not far-fetched at all). That's literally all I proposed as a possibility before everyone got up in arms and the giant troll debate of 2016 began. Why are we so resistant to the idea of treating posters as if they are simply other people with different situations/perspectives/knowledge than ourselves? What seems 'stupid' to you can really just reflect someone with a wildly different background and perspective trying to enter the world you're already so comfortable in. And isn't SDN supposed to be all about helping people enter that world?

This is why it is better to just report threads you find offensive and let the mods do their business (since you know, that's their job). Seriously, i don't appreciate members policing the forums and dismissing new members based on their (very likely) inaccurate definitions of trolls. It is unnecessarily judgmental and dismissive.

OP's experience was likely life-altering (even moreso for his girlfriend) but religious and political implications aside, NOT becoming a parent doesn't make for a good essay.