Can I Tentatively Accept?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdpt

Reaction score
Hi All! I need some guidance. I've accepted and placed a deposit for one school (MSJ, tied for my top choice due to cost and location) and just got pulled off the waitlist for my second top choice (Univ. of Dayton, due to clinical placement opportunities). This is very exciting but has now sent me into a crisis. I truly loved both schools and so it will ultimately come down to price. MSJ is more affordable, but UD offers more financial aid so the ability to bring cost down is more likely than at MSJ.

I would like to tentatively accept to UD to evaluate their financial aid package, but I'm not sure if I should say that outright or just accept and decline later if necessary? I want to be transparent, but I want to make sure I do not shoot myself in the foot as well.

Thanks for any insight in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you've put down your deposit already, you have every right to walk away. You'll just lose your deposit. Ultimately, this is your education. You're not being forced to go to any particular program. Find out what you need to know in order to make the best decision for yourself. Worry about what your school thinks when you've actually started a program.

If you want to be discreet, you can call/email the PT admissions office and simply ask when financial aid/scholarships decisions will be announced. You don't have to include that your decision hinges on what they might give you. If you want to be even more discreet, see if they have a student finance office for the whole campus and ask them instead. They will usually know when the PT department awards money each year.

I would also add that programs know students will drop out after submitting deposits. It happens. There's nothing to get upset/anxious about, they'll just ask the next person on the list. They understand that you're making a choice that's right for you, and they shouldn't hold that against you.

Reactions: 1 user
I accepted my seat at one school (pre-deposit), heard back from my dream school about 10 days later, and rescinded my acceptance at the first school. Schools know that students will drop out, deposit or not. Accepting a seat at both schools will temporarily take potential seats away from other future students temporarily, but honestly, this is a huge commitment and you owe it to yourself to be "selfish". Do what you feel is right and what you feel is best for you, don't sweat.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 options:
1. Before submitting deposit, ask them to provide you with financial aid package so that you could evaluate the cost. School should not dislike you because of that request, it would be silly not to consider that. Do your evaluation and make your decision.
2. If you cannot do evaluation above before the deposit deadline, submit the deposit, do evaluation, and then withdraw from whichever program you think is more expensive. You do not have to tell them that you are "tentatively accepting" their offer. Just say you accept it. There may be 2-3 weeks period when the school would give the deposit back, so check that timeframe and do evaluation ASAP to get your money back

I'm showing MSJ at about $86k and UD at @ $101k. I'd stick with MSJ, regardless of Clinical opportunities or potential scholarship opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user