Can I use my iPad for interviews or should I buy a nice Webcam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybedoc1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a couple interviews next month. I have a 2013 MacBook I could use, but the Webcam on it isn't great. Makes me look like I'm sulking in a dark room no matter the lighting. I also have a newer iPad pro that has a pretty good front facing camera on it. However, it is an iPad. I'm wondering if I could use the iPad or if I should buy a nicer Webcam and use my computer?

Members don't see this ad.

Use whatever has the best camera and will not lose an internet connection. I also recommend applicants invest in good webcams. You are saving a lot of money on travel, so invest in the things you can control, like looking good for a very high stakes interview.

Should be fine. My only virtual interview last year started with the interviewer calling me and asking me to FaceTime her bc she didn’t know how to. The bar (for technical things) is set pretty low

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can use EPOCCAM HD (like $7 on the App Store) for iPad and then use your iPad camera with zoom on your computer. That way you still have a computer to use but also have a very high quality camera you can use.

Make sure you have proper lighting the place from where you are interviewing. That will help a lot.

You can use EPOCCAM HD (like $7 on the App Store) for iPad and then use your iPad camera with zoom on your computer. That way you still have a computer to use but also have a very high quality camera you can use.

How reliable is this app? I'm seeing mixed reviews online. I downloaded the pro version and it works great. As long as it works I think it would work nicely. I went and bought a webcam today, but unfortunately, the quality is horrible. If this is reliable that would be great.

Make sure you have proper lighting the place from where you are interviewing. That will help a lot.

I'm going to move my desk around so that I'm facing my windows. I think that should help a lot.

How reliable is this app? I'm seeing mixed reviews online. I downloaded the pro version and it works great. As long as it works I think it would work nicely. I went and bought a webcam today, but unfortunately, the quality is horrible. If this is reliable that would be great.

I use a corded connection between the iPad and computer so I'm not relying on flaky wifi. In the settings of the Pro app you can force it to use the corded connection over wifi. I've done two interview days with it without any issue. Sometimes it doesn't work when I first launch zoom and you have to quit and reopen so I just make sure to test first in a private meeting before joining any public meeting/interview.

Given that you have a quality iPad, buying a webcam may only make a marginal difference. However, unless money is incredibly tight, I would still invest in the webcam. In addition, I would research the best way to stage and light an online interview. Of course, these things may not make a difference and they are not high on the list of things that will move the needle, but, if you find yourself on the margin (and many will), why not do everything you can to improve your chances?

Given that you have a quality iPad, buying a webcam may only make a marginal difference. However, unless money is incredibly tight, I would still invest in the webcam. In addition, I would research the best way to stage and light an online interview. Of course, these things may not make a difference and they are not high on the list of things that will move the needle, but, if you find yourself on the margin (and many will), why not do everything you can to improve your chances?
I find lighting makes a way bigger difference than the camera.

I recently bought a logitech c615 ($60) for my interviews, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. I heard the logitech c920 has far superior quality, but I think the c615 would also be great for interviews. And yeah, better lighting definitely helps.

I use a corded connection between the iPad and computer so I'm not relying on flaky wifi. In the settings of the Pro app you can force it to use the corded connection over wifi. I've done two interview days with it without any issue. Sometimes it doesn't work when I first launch zoom and you have to quit and reopen so I just make sure to test first in a private meeting before joining any public meeting/interview.

I'm using it right now for a zoom lab and it seems to be working well with the wired connection. Now the only issue is how to properly mount it so that I'm speaking into it (with eye contact) but also looking at the interviewer while they're speaking if that makes sense. The iPad is showing my face on its screen but then the groups face (or the interviewer) is on my computer screen (or monitor screen). Which means I'm looking at different points when Im speaking vs listening. How'd you fix that? I need to mount it like a webcam almost.

I agree. I'd love to find a webcam however they're all sold out locally. I have an interview on Tuesday so I won't be able to get one in time for that. Probably a good idea to get one for future interviews though. I'm also going to try and figure out the optimal lighting arrangement. I think that would help

How did you set your iPad up and your computer? It would be great if the iPad could show the zoom screen while also acting as a webcam but it doesn't seem like it can. I'm stuck having the Webcam (iPad) and the computer (where the interviewer is) be two different screens. I can't find a great way to mount my iPad behind my computer so that I can look at the camera and my laptop simultaneously

How did you set your iPad up and your computer? It would be great if the iPad could show the zoom screen while also acting as a webcam but it doesn't seem like it can. I'm stuck having the Webcam (iPad) and the computer (where the interviewer is) be two different screens. I can't find a great way to mount my iPad behind my computer so that I can look at the camera and my laptop simultaneously
Why can't you run Zoom through the iPad, and not use the computer at all?

Why can't you run Zoom through the iPad, and not use the computer at all?
At least for my interview on Tuesday it says that tablets are not supported in their interview instructions =(

At least for my interview on Tuesday it says that tablets are not supported in their interview instructions =(
I wonder what that means? Probably the iPadOS operating system. I wouldn't screw around with it then, and no doubt that's why you can't see the video on the iPad. If you have a camera on your computer, just use it. TBH, neurotic as everyone is, people are searching for the "best" equipment to impress. Trust me, on the other side, they are using whatever basic crap IT gave them!! :)

The built-in camera on my Dell laptop flaked out when we went virtual last spring. It took me a month to find it in stock at Target, but the low end Logitech camera works great for me, so you don't need anything fancy. You just need something that works. If your computer camera works, just use it and don't worry. If lighting is the issue, try to fix it. If that doesn't work, then there is something wrong with your 7 year old webcam, and you should replace it if you can. Borrow one for the interview if you can't find one in time. Again, any one that is working properly will suffice. You don't need a fancy one for Zoom.

Anything involving your iPad is going to look "off" because there is no way to position it where it won't either block your computer screen or be too high or too off to the side, so your eye contact is going to suck.