Can it ever be too much of a good thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So unexpected/crazy thing happened. Was summoned for jury duty. Was hoping for a quick dismissal. But was selected (arrgh!).

I think there was only one juror younger than me, and the other 4 were mid-40s and up. During a recess while we waited in the jury room, there was small talk and I was asked what I were I did for a living. I told them my full-time job was getting prepared for medical school in a few months.

Later when we were charged with the case and returned to the jury room, out of no where, the oldest juror (60+) nominated me for foreman. The others unanimously agreed. I was honored, but a bit stunned that after finding out that I was to be a medical student, they chose me to lead the jury deliberations.

I can understand that being a doctor carries a certain prestige in society and it's good to be respected, but being a medical student? Hmmm.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if there's some humblebragging going on!

Reactions: 15 users
you’re overthinking it, and you’re fellow jurors must have very low standards

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So unexpected/crazy thing happened. Was summoned for jury duty. Was hoping for a quick dismissal. But was selected (arrgh!).

I think there was only one juror younger than me, and the other 4 were mid-40s and up. During a recess while we waited in the jury room, there was small talk and I was asked what I were I did for a living. I told them my full-time job was getting prepared for medical school in a few months.

Later when we were charged with the case and returned to the jury room, out of no where, the oldest juror (60+) nominated me for foreman. The others unanimously agreed. I was honored, but a bit stunned that after finding out that I was to be a medical student, they chose me to lead the jury deliberations.

I can understand that being a doctor carries a certain prestige in society and it's good to be respected, but being a medical student? Hmmm.
In all honesty, put being the foreman on your CV. I've done that.

Reactions: 7 users
It’s probably because no one else wanted that responsibility...i know I wouldn’t want to be the foreman

Reactions: 6 users
It’s probably because no one else wanted that responsibility...i know I wouldn’t want to be the foreman
Nah, they entrusted it to him. You underestimate the maturity and responsibility that come with being a pre-med.

Reactions: 9 users
are you going to put "medical student" on your tinder profile too

Reactions: 11 users
This is cool but would be cooler if the jury included a law student

Reactions: 7 users
This is cool but would be cooler if the jury included a law student

Would you believe me if I told you one juror was 6 months from getting their J.D.?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The smartest people find a way out of jury duty.

Reactions: 17 users
"Police officers are just so good at their jobs and they clearly had a reason to arrest the defendant in the first place, and then there was enough evidence to prosecute him, so I bet he's guilty!"

That one's pretty effective. :laugh:

I’ve just been postponing mine until I go to med school then I can tell them I’m no longer resident of this state

I’ve just been postponing mine until I go to med school then I can tell them I’m no longer resident of this state

I’ve had to actually try to get out of jury duty once. It was super easy, as I told them I don’t actually live in the county. I didn’t even have to finish filling out the paperwork.

The other couple times I’ve been summoned, I’ve been in the military so it’s completely a non-starter.

I never try to get out of Jury Duty. It's our civic duty to serve. I've only been chosen for a jury twice out of at least a dozen times I've been called in. Interestingly enough both cases were capital punishment murder trials. I am convinced I have 'Pick Me' written on my forehead if it's for a murder trial. Must be something about the way I fill out those 30 page questionnaires they give you for capital punishment cases I guess. Anyway...it's really a very interesting experience to serve on a murder trial jury. Being one of those responsible to decide if someone should live or die is a terrifying experience. In the first trial we convicted the guy and he plea bargained over the weekend to 2 life sentences so we never actually got to the penalty phase. But the second trial did go to the penalty phase and it seriously freaked me out. And I can honestly say the penalty phase of the trial was the most difficult thing I have ever done on my life. Just in case anyone cares...we sentenced him to life without possibility of parole.

Reactions: 3 users
I’ve been summoned twice. Two different counties. Writing back stating I was a med student was enough to get out it, thankfully.

So you got tricked into doing more work for no increase in pay because you’re a (soon to be) doctor. Welcome to the rest of your life as a physician. Enjoy.

Reactions: 6 users
So you got tricked into doing more work for no increase in pay because you’re a (soon to be) doctor. Welcome to the rest of your life as a physician. Enjoy.

Civic duty ≠ "tricked"

Just wait until you're actually a physician and receive a subpoena. I had a "fun" time spending an hour on the stand as a witness in a civil case involving one of my patients (not the one being sued, thankfully) last month.

I never try to get out of Jury Duty. It's our civic duty to serve. I've only been chosen for a jury twice out of at least a dozen times I've been called in. Interestingly enough both cases were capital punishment murder trials. I am convinced I have 'Pick Me' written on my forehead if it's for a murder trial. Must be something about the way I fill out those 30 page questionnaires they give you for capital punishment cases I guess. Anyway...it's really a very interesting experience to serve on a murder trial jury. Being one of those responsible to decide if someone should live or die is a terrifying experience. In the first trial we convicted the guy and he plea bargained over the weekend to 2 life sentences so we never actually got to the penalty phase. But the second trial did go to the penalty phase and it seriously freaked me out. And I can honestly say the penalty phase of the trial was the most difficult thing I have ever done on my life. Just in case anyone cares...we sentenced him to life without possibility of parole.

Yeah, I serve enough. Thanks for taking one (two, I guess) for the team.

Civic duty ≠ "tricked"
Read the OP. Then read my post. Think a bit. Realize your post had nothing to do with mine and you interpreted everything I meant incorrectly. Regret posting. Realize it’s ok. Move on.

And.... Go!

Read the OP. Then read my post. Think a bit. Realize your post had nothing to do with mine and you interpreted everything I meant incorrectly. Regret posting. Realize it’s ok. Move on.

And.... Go!

As in any thread on SDN, it tends to evolve. I suspect that you would be singing a different tune if you were facing conviction and imprisonment and would not want any juror or foreperson to feel that they were tricked, and to also take what they do seriously.

Moving on now. I suggest you take your own advice and do the same.

Last edited:
Civic duty ≠ "tricked"

As in any thread on SDN, it tends to evolve. I suspect that you would be singing a different tune if you were facing conviction and imprisonment and would not want any juror or foreperson to feel that they were tricked, and to also take what they do seriously.

Moving on now. I suggest you take your own advice and do the same.
So you didn’t get steps 3 and 4. Understandable as those require thought. I’ll explain. You see, my post is a joke and it merely highlights how as a physician you will be “elected” or “chosen” to do extra work just because you’re a physician. This is unfortunately very common in the work place and leads to physician burn out. I didn’t write anything about civic duty but that’s what you read because you wanted to read it that way. If you need any other explaining of my satirical works I’ll be in my office.

I never try to get out of Jury Duty. It's our civic duty to serve.
I actually do agree with this... and think that jury duty ought to have scaled compensation based on income for just this reason.

The time I attempted to get out of mine and succeeded was when I was living paycheck to paycheck making $10.50hr. My area only paid $10/day for jury duty... big difference in making $80-ish/day from work before taxes and having that slashed to $10/day by participating in a jury when you literally budget down to the penny every month.

Honestly that's nothing. I was once chosen to be on the jury duty that sentenced the Scranton strangler

You guys might not believe this, but just last week, Tom Sawyer let me whitewash Aunt Polly's fence!!! He was hesitant at first, but after reviewing my credentials, he decided to let me take a whack at it. Honored AND humbled!!!

Meanwhile, I’ve been praying for YEARS to be called for jury duty. I know I’d never be selected, but, as an attorney, I just think it would be cool to be on the other side of voir dire for once.

A0C63CC4-77FF-4651-808F-5301126B7D72.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users