Can one apply for both TY and Prelim Medicine in the same cycle?

Started by saiyagirl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

S

saiyagirl

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Let's say I really would like to be in Philadelphia my intern year, regardless of prelim or TY. (And lets say there are good programs of each type in Philly that I am willing to go to). Can I apply for both?

How would that work with ERAS/LOR's?

Thanks everyone!
 
Yes, you can.

Regarding applying, you just do it. It'll cost you more, because TYs are considered a separate category. This will all make sense once you actually get on ERAS.

For personal statements and LORs, it's kind of roll your own. If you're going into dermatology and all of your letters are from dermatologists, then you'd be more likely to want separate LORs than if you got more generic general medicine/general surgery letters. It also depends on how competitive you are. If you're step I is 260, then you may not be so inclined to get separate letters. The same goes for your PS, but that is much more simple to change.
 
Applying to both ups your chances of matching in Philly or wherever. I tended to rank all the TYs above the Prelim Med b/c TYs tend to have more elective mo and are generally more "cush" than Prelim.

I wouldn't see any reason to use different letters for TY vs Prelim Med. In my case, I used the same and things went fine. This was common among other applicants I met along the trail. Best of luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Applying to both ups your chances of matching in Philly or wherever. I tended to rank all the TYs above the Prelim Med b/c TYs tend to have more elective mo and are generally more "cush" than Prelim.

I wouldn't see any reason to use different letters for TY vs Prelim Med. In my case, I used the same and things went fine. This was common among other applicants I met along the trail. Best of luck.

exactly what i would say and recommend. i ranked both (with the TYs mostly above the prelims) and didnt' change any letters or anything.