can program screen by number of USMLE attempts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lxw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been reading a lot and would like to thank everybody for the very useful information. I am IMG and I have written Step 1 twice. First time I was a student and did very well. But time passed and it expired. I wrote it again years later and did even better. I passed other Steps first attempt too.

I read some programs screen out applications automatically. Can my application be screened out because I have multiple attempts, even if I never failed? I am worried about this. Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I have been reading a lot and would like to thank everybody for the very useful information. I am IMG and I have written Step 1 twice. First time I was a student and did very well. But time passed and it expired. I wrote it again years later and did even better. I passed other Steps first attempt too.

I read some programs screen out applications automatically. Can my application be screened out because I have multiple attempts, even if I never failed? I am worried about this. Thank you in advance for your kind help.

In your case it may not be a problem, but I hope someone senior like aPD can comment.

Also have you mentioned this in your PS?

No, or at least "not easily". I can screen by the score on your steps. If you took it more than once, it will use your most recent score. But there is no reliable way to screen for more than one attempt.

Not easily = when you enter your information into your CAF, you self enter each attempt at the USMLE. You're allowed to state your status for each step as "Passed, Failed, awaiting score, scheduled", etc. Theoretically I should be able to screen based on this looking for 2+ entries for a single step. In reality, I have found it difficult to do so.

Thank you. That makes me feel better. I did explain in my personal statement, but I was concerned that my application would be screened out before they read the personal statement. Thank you again.

Yeah but eventually a PD would know since your USMLE transcript should accompany the CAF right? Otherwise, why would so many people fear of being axed for failing on multiple attempts?

Yeah but eventually a PD would know since your USMLE transcript should accompany the CAF right? Otherwise, why would so many people fear of being axed for failing on multiple attempts?
Correct. When we review the USMLE transcript, all attempts are listed.