Can someone give me a rundown of what prerequisites I need to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atomi

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
---

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Every school is different, go to the PharmCAS website, find the schools you want to apply to and see what they want.

That's the issue - I don't know what school I want to apply to yet this early in the game. I just don't want to waste time that I have now to take a course only to have to cram it in later. Is there a course that nearly all pharm schools require that I don't have (e.g., econ, psych, public speaking, etc.)?

That's the issue - I don't know what school I want to apply to yet this early in the game. I just don't want to waste time that I have now to take a course only to have to cram it in later. Is there a course that nearly all pharm schools require that I don't have (e.g., econ, psych, public speaking, etc.)?

Almost all schools want general chem, ochem, bio, physics, math, and english composition. Other prereqs just depend on the schools that you are planning to apply to, which you have to narrow your list of schools based on your preferences and do your own research on their requirements.

You probably have some idea what schools or at least what area you want to apply to. Gather a list of some schools that interest you and quickly compare the courses required.

Most likely courses that will come up:
Biochem
A&p
Physics
Public Speaking
MicroBio
Cell and Molec
Immunology

It is going to depend school to school. Start thinking about where you want to apply to, it is definitely not to early to start putting together a list of likely schools.

Definitely take A & P and microbiology. Don't just look at PharmCAS because there are other schools out there that don't subscribe to that service. You can check out the ACPE website for a listing of all the schools that are in operation currently. I would contact each school or check their websites to get a listing of what classes are required as well.

Please do not take this wrong. It is a waste of time to register for classes without knowing the prerequisite courses for the school(s) you wish to apply to. ;)

Each school varies in courses and even levels of courses between.

The best thing to do is what others have mentioned previously--log onto pharmcas and look them up. It is really well laid out and easy to navigate. It wont take long for you to find enough similar courses to fill your schedule.

Note: I was applying to 5 different schools and it added another year because of differences in prerequisites.

http://www.pharmcas.org/
Click on school information, then school page.
( Sometimes the prerequisites are not on pharmcas. If that happens, go to the school's webpage. I just use pharmcas because it was always easier for me.)

Good luck with school.

If do not know what school you want to go to, perhaps look at schools in your region, or the region you would want to attend school in.

Most schools in Texas seem to require:

Biology I & II
Chem I & II
Organic I & II
Microbiology
Speech
Calc I
Physics I
Statistics
English Comp I & II, and Literature
All that other general humanities stuff you got with your B.S.

TTU required Macroeconomics.

But none of this helps you if you aren't applying in Texas. You need to do what the others before have said and take a look at the schools you are most interested in. Prepare for those schools and you will probably match up with others in the process.

I have a B.S. in engineering with a ton of coursework. I've completed bio, ochem, chem, and physics. I've taken lots of math courses beyond calculus level. I have a minor in german with study abroad credit and transfer credit for things like european business and german language. I have AP history and government credit from high school 6 years ago.

I have until tomorrow to register for summer courses at the CC, and I am wondering what I need to take. I was thinking I should take principles of ecomomics, but I really don't know. I need to apply this year, but I'm not sure at this point which schools I'm going to apply to and they all seem to have different requirements -- a lot don't even require econ!

What other courses will I need? I am guessing A&P and microbiology, maybe psych? Any others? The schools seem to have a general list that just says humanities. I've got nearly 200 credits -- I can't believe they would make me go back and take more courses, so I don't know if something I already have counts, but I don't want to waste money and time for an econ course this summer if I don't have to take it.

This is very frustrating for someone who already has a B.S., it seems like all these requirements are written for incoming freshman. Can anyone offer some advice?

I would look at a school where you wont have to take a bunch of preq courses...ie...some school you dont require biochem..

You must have SOME idea which schools you'd like to go to? All schools have different pre-reqs. You have taken all the basic science and math classes... you're set to apply for 2009. You really need to make the decision as to which schools you want to apply to and then check out what their pre-reqs are. But to answer your question: some schools require microecon, A&P, biochem, genetics, microbio... that should give you a start...

Okay, this is list is generally what schools minimally require, I do not know if they ask for more than this:

General Bio 1&2
General Chem 1&2
Organic Chem 1&2
Human Anatomy
Human Physiology
Physics I
Calculus
Statistics
Microbiology

They might require other electives like literature, history, philosophy, psychology depending on the school.

Okay, this is list is generally what schools minimally require, I do not know if they ask for more than this:

General Bio 1&2
General Chem 1&2
Organic Chem 1&2
Human Anatomy
Human Physiology
Physics I
Calculus
Statistics
Microbiology

They might require other electives like literature, history, philosophy, psychology depending on the school.

Ok, so probably not econ. I really have no idea what schools I want to apply to. I live in VA, so probably the state schools there, but I would like to stay in the southeast if I applied out of state and I want to keep this as cheap as possible. I don't know what other schools to look at besides the VA schools. Are there any in Fl/GA/SC/NC/AL that are friendly to out-of-state residents or reasonably priced private schools?

What about schools that are more friendly towards people with a B.S. already and don't require many pre-reqs beyond the basic sciences? 3-year programs?

If anyone could throw out some names of schools to look at, that would help a lot. I'm kind of in a time-crunch here because I've only got 1 more day to register for summer classes at the CC otherwise I wouldn't be asking such stupid questions.

I can take macroecon, A&P I, psych, or soc this summer (all offered online, which is the only way I can do them). Or I could just do them all throughout the next year and give myself a little more time to think about this. I just don't want to run into a situation where I have to squeeze in 12 credits each semester next year on top of my full-time job. I did that this year and it sucked. I just want a year off for once! (and by year off I mean year where I just work and don't have any school!).

Thanks for all your help.

A great chart for prerequisites for all of the pharmacy schools and colleges is on the AACP (American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy) web site, www.aacp.org. Here is the link http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNaviga...s?DocTypeID=11&TrackID=&VID=1&CID=687&DID=474
It is easy to see which courses are required by most schools because it is in Excel.

Good luck!
:)

Thanks tatoflake! That is extremely helpful. Do you know if schools ever make exceptions to their required courses - say if someone shows up with an excellent GPA and PCAT along with a B.S. and significant work experience - will any schools waive the requirement, or is there no chance - i.e., everyone has to do it, no matter what.

Also that chart has a column called social sciences and humanities. Some schools have checks in these columns - but social sciences and humanities aren't specific courses. What does this mean?

Thanks tatoflake! That is extremely helpful. Do you know if schools ever make exceptions to their required courses - say if someone shows up with an excellent GPA and PCAT along with a B.S. and significant work experience - will any schools waive the requirement, or is there no chance - i.e., everyone has to do it, no matter what.

Also that chart has a column called social sciences and humanities. Some schools have checks in these columns - but social sciences and humanities aren't specific courses. What does this mean?

I can say that there is a 99% chance that schools won't waive the requirements just because you have good stats or special circumstances, but I know there are a few schools that make you take more prereqs (usually the nonscience classes) if you don't have your BS.

I also have my B.S. in Engineering and it was very difficult for me to find schools to apply to. Like you, I had all of the core sciences (bio, ochem, gen chem, physics, calc) and many additional chemistry and math courses. I have only taken 5 non-science or math courses though, and none are psych, public speaking, etc- all English or sociology.

University at Buffalo, where I will be going in the fall, only requires bio, chem, ochem, physics, and calc if you have a bachelor's degree. If you don't have a degree there are many more of those liberal arts-type courses you have to take. Since you have a B.S., you'd be ready to apply there.

I would hold off on A&P for later since there are some schools that don't require it. Definitely take the other core math and science courses.

I would hold off on A&P for later since there are some schools that don't require it. Definitely take the other core math and science courses.

Even if the school doesn't require it, it's still a good idea to take it b/c knowledge of the human body will help when you get to therapeutics, which pretty much is the last two years of lecture.

I also have my B.S. in Engineering and it was very difficult for me to find schools to apply to. Like you, I had all of the core sciences (bio, ochem, gen chem, physics, calc) and many additional chemistry and math courses. I have only taken 5 non-science or math courses though, and none are psych, public speaking, etc- all English or sociology.

University at Buffalo, where I will be going in the fall, only requires bio, chem, ochem, physics, and calc if you have a bachelor's degree. If you don't have a degree there are many more of those liberal arts-type courses you have to take. Since you have a B.S., you'd be ready to apply there.

What other schools besides Buffalo did you apply to. I can take pre-reqs online next year without much hassle, but I need to know which ones to take!