Can someone give me advice on what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dematt30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I can have some advice. I am sitting around thinking about my grades and PCAT score and am bummed out about getting into pharmacy school. I am going to give my gpa Pcat score etc, but I was wondering if people can give me advice on how to get into pharmacy school for 2010. Thanks everyone!

GPA=3.15

Science=3.2

Just started Shadowing Pharmacist (volunteer work)

PCAT 65

Chem-91
Bio 81
Reading 77
Math 24
That other Part ( I forgot) 26

I am graduating from a top 50 University in 2010 With a biology degree (B.S)

My Junior year consisted of a 2.8 over all GPA (family problems)

I am taking Calc 1 and 2 over the summer (starting soon, I plan on breaking my ass to get A's in both courses)

Can you guys check this out and tell me what you think of my stats and what I should do to improve. As well as advice on WAMC ( I know i could put this in that thread but it might be swept away)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if I can have some advice. I am sitting around thinking about my grades and PCAT score and am bummed out about getting into pharmacy school. I am going to give my gpa Pcat score etc, but I was wondering if people can give me advice on how to get into pharmacy school for 2010. Thanks everyone!

GPA=3.15

Science=3.2

PCAT 65

Chem-91
Bio 81
Reading 77
Math 24

Re-take in July. Get a better math score.

Address this in your personal statement!

I am taking Calc 1 and 2 over the summer (starting soon, I plan on breaking my ass to get A's in both courses)

You better!

Can you guys check this out and tell me what you think of my stats and what I should do to improve. As well as advice on WAMC ( I know i could put this in that thread but it might be swept away)

Yeah, nice one. I'm the chump who answered you anyway...

No I appreciate it so much, I plan on addressing that in my personal essay. I hope to get a great gpa my senior year. I was just sitting around thinking how much I want to go to pharmacy school and thinking how I can change things for my final year.

Also I have another question. When should I apply to schools? During my first semester Senior year before my grades are in?

Or after my first semester senior year when my grades are going to be in ??(which I plan on them being very good)

The help is appreciated very much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA isn't horrible, but it isn't grand either. However, I have seen people get in with GPA's less than that. Definitely study up on your math so you can go in there and knock it out of the park because the other areas you named are solid. I would also see what you can do for the section you can't remember the name of. When I took it, there were no other sections so I can't say what to do to improve it. When it comes time to apply, apply to about three schools because the more you apply to, the better your chances are at getting in.

No I appreciate it so much, I plan on addressing that in my personal essay. I hope to get a great gpa my senior year. I was just sitting around thinking how much I want to go to pharmacy school and thinking how I can change things for my final year.

Also I have another question. When should I apply to schools? During my first semester Senior year before my grades are in?

Or after my first semester senior year when my grades are going to be in ??(which I plan on them being very good)

The help is appreciated very much!

The section you can't remember is verbal - the other English section. Start to apply as soon as PharmCAS opens (either June 1st or June 15th) and finish as quickly as possible. Wait until you're registered for the fall, but don't wait for the grades because a lot of deadlines are November 15 or December 1. Also, you will update your PharmCAS grades after they come in, so the school will have those to make a decision on after your interview (or possibly before).

In summary, your math subscore killed your composite.

If possible, consider taking or retaking a math class in the summer or before you retake the PCAT again. (example: Calculus I)

Once you get that math subscore up in the 80s or 90s, and assuming your other sections don't drop too much, your composite PCAT score could well be in the mid 70s or even 80s. That puts you on target for a couple interview invites if you apply to the right schools

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the info, any additional info would be very helpful!

Thanks everyone for the info, any additional info would be very helpful!

One other thing: relax. I repeat: r-e-l-a-x. If you stress out it affects your performance which means less information retained and poorer scores. Take it easy. You can only do what you can do. I mean, work hard and all that, but don't waste time thinking about things you can't change.

One other thing: relax. I repeat: r-e-l-a-x. If you stress out it affects your performance which means less information retained and poorer scores. Take it easy. You can only do what you can do. I mean, work hard and all that, but don't waste time thinking about things you can't change.

Very sound advice. Definitely relax.

GPA=3.15

Science=3.2

PCAT 65

Chem-91
Bio 81
Reading 77
Math 24

Do NOT address a low GPA in your personal statement. There are areas of the application that are devoted to you explaining anything that you would like. Your personal statement is your way of introducing yourself and describing your motivations and positive attributes. Save the "oops" explanations for where they belong.

Quoted for truth...