Can someone please explain this to me about SMP's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBatman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so on most schools website they give you the average GPA needed in order gain admission to their SMP. However what GPA are they talking about? Are they talking about the gpa on my UG official transcript or are they talking about the gpa that would be used when applying for their med school. On my transcript I have a GPA greater than 3.5. However I had to retake quite a few classes so my gpa for allopathic schools is barely 3.0. So which GPA will they look at? The 3.5 or 3.0?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should report the GPA that would be used to apply for medical school. From the SMP admissions committee perspective, that is the metric that will be used when you apply for medical school. Good luck on applications!

Most SMP's will do a holistic view. It's not all about your GPA. Your EC's and MCAT/DAT are important for SMP's too. I got into all the SMP's I applied to with <3.0 cumulative. I did have a very strong upwards trend in my post-bac however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so on most schools website they give you the average GPA needed in order gain admission to their SMP. However what GPA are they talking about? Are they talking about the gpa on my UG official transcript or are they talking about the gpa that would be used when applying for their med school. On my transcript I have a GPA greater than 3.5. However I had to retake quite a few classes so my gpa for allopathic schools is barely 3.0. So which GPA will they look at? The 3.5 or 3.0?

I reported my AMCAS calculated gpa. However, I believe that there were schools that wanted the gpa as it appears on your transcript. If you are unsure, you could always check with the admissions office.

LMU's SMP will use the AACOMAS GPA. I think other DO SMPs will do the same.