Can someone please explain to me what the "early match" is?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry if this has been discussed to death, but i couldn't find a reasonable answer with the forum's search function and the "General Residency FAQ's" is just a meandering thread about kids, moonlighting, and breast implants, among other fascinating topics.

anyway, what is the "early match", and exactly how early is it in realtion to the normal timeline of matching? do all programs/specialties participate in this? what are the advantages/disadvantages?

thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

anyway, what is the "early match", and exactly how early is it in realtion to the normal timeline of matching? do all programs/specialties participate in this? what are the advantages/disadvantages?

A couple of specialties at the upper end of the desireability spectrum (neurosurg, urology, ophtho etc.) are in separate match systems from the NRMP. Most of them are before the NRMP, so candidates who didn't get their 'dream specialty' can choose to go for their second choice (e.g. a categorical surgery position if urology didn't work out.)

Most of them go through the 'San Francisco Match', you can look up the details at www.sfmatch.org

I believe the plumbers run their own match.
http://www.auanet.org/residents/resmatch.cfm

f_w said:
A couple of specialties at the upper end of the desireability spectrum (neurosurg, urology, ophtho etc.) are in separate match systems from the NRMP. Most of them are before the NRMP, so candidates who didn't get their 'dream specialty' can choose to go for their second choice (e.g. a categorical surgery position if urology didn't work out.)

Most of them go through the 'San Francisco Match', you can look up the details at www.sfmatch.org

I believe the plumbers run their own match.
http://www.auanet.org/residents/resmatch.cfm
aahhh, i see. so its just those 4-5 specialties, eh? lame. i was hoping it was more widespread than that. oh well. thanks for the info.

In all of these specialties, there will be a couple of spots in the NRMP. The majority goes through the early match.