Can someone please explain what this pitiful DO to MD crap is???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrjbb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a mistake in Thread title- It's DO to MD....

What is this?? A DO to MD program...!!... What in the world? Why does this even exist? What do you think about it?

https://dotomd.com/home.cfm

They say "We can make you an MD"......

***SELL OUT ALERT***

I'm NOT trying to start a flame war...

Members don't see this ad.

What is this?? A DO to MD program...!!... What in the world? Why does this even exist? What do you think about it?

***SELL OUT ALERT***

It looks like somebody's out trying to make a buck....trying to capitalize on people's insecurities. Looks lame to me.

I fixed your title for you. I agree, totally lame. There are several of these programs advertised, the few I've checked into have you get the "MD" designation via IMG. Most appear shady at best.

Members don't see this ad :)
I fixed your title for you. I agree, totally lame. There are several of these programs advertised, the few I've checked into have you get the "MD" designation via IMG. Most appear shady at best.

Thanks for the title fix.. Yeah this is so....Laaaaaame...

To each their own. Whoever is dumb enough and insecure enough to actually throw that kind of money towards the initials after their name deserves whatever consequences may follow. Much like people who can't get into a US MD/DO school or any known Carribean schools so they end up at a brand new program called John Smith Medical College of Ethiopia in a class size of 4 because they insist they're responsible and qualified to be in charge of peoples' lives some day. What people think in their minds will happen in the future and what actually does happen are two different things.

Ha what's next?? DO to Master's in health science program?? Maybe DO to dental assistant:eek:

If someone can find me a CPR Certification-->DO program, let me know.

Why are all the physician photos for that "conversion" site the same as those used on the SDN gateway? I guess they are just canned photos but still...:thumbdown:

en portugal yo soy a cardiologist

If someone can find me a CPR Certification-->DO program, let me know.

I think the Red Cross will be offering that soon, but like their CPR certification you'll have to recert every year.

I don't understand why someone would go through all those years of school and residency if they weren't happy with the degree they're getting in the end. Go somewhere you're happy with.

Hahah that thing is a freaking joke. I'd be more inclined to sign up for a free Macy's giftcard on myspace then give those crooks any money. Plus, I don't even understand what they do?? Like I really don't get what the process even is?? Ha .. oh well. I also loved how they called it 'A doctor of Osteopathy.' :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
While I left this thread to discuss the merits of the program in question, please review Lee's sticky note regarding MD v. DO threads, conveniently located at the top of the pre-osteo thread list. There will be no denegrating comments regarding degrees or certifications of any kind.

(in my best Mom voice): Don't make me go there.

Carry on and feel free to discuss the issue at hand.
-ShyRem

My favorite part of this website:

"What is more unfortunate for D.O.’s, who are as equally trained as M.D.’s – truthfully, more highly trained...."

I think they just accidently admitted on their own website that DO's are better than MD's.

Well I can see why a program like this "might" be helpfull for some....

if your going to practice medicine in the states, the MD or DO shouldn't make a difference.... If you want to practice medicine in some other country (for whatever reason that pleases you), you might want that MD degree since alot of countries only allow MDs to practice medicine

Well I can see why a program like this "might" be helpfull for some....

if your going to practice medicine in the states, the MD or DO shouldn't make a difference.... If you want to practice medicine in some other country (for whatever reason that pleases you), you might want that MD degree since alot of countries only allow MDs to practice medicine

Actually, most developed countries allow DOs to practice as fully-licensed physicians. The fact is, however, that many countries have tight licensure allowances regardless of degree...

=-

Last edited:
My favorite line was:

"Do you want to author a book as an MD?"

So, DO's aren't allowed to write now! What is this world coming to!?!?!

Some comments on various posts:

My favorite line was: "Do you want to author a book as an MD?" So, DO's aren't allowed to write now! What is this world coming to!?!?!

Exactly! Just the other day I was glancing through a resource catalog sent to me by the ACP (internal medicine) and noticed that it had at least two books authored by DOs (cardiology and pulmonary disorders).

HAHAHAHA! That is seriously a joke right?!? :laugh::laugh: I love the infomercial style " dont you want to be under medical doctors in the yellow pages?" WOW... first of all md's and do's are in the yellow pages & who cares?? That site is really insulting

Actually, some phone books list DOs in a separate section than MDs. They're both under the physician heading, but first come the MDs and then come the DOs.

Well I can see why a program like this "might" be helpfull for some.... if your going to practice medicine in the states, the MD or DO shouldn't make a difference.... If you want to practice medicine in some other country (for whatever reason that pleases you), you might want that MD degree since alot of countries only allow MDs to practice medicine

While having a MD might be helpful for international licensure, I don't think it's a walk in the park. Some countries are just hard to get licensure in ... even with a MD.

To each their own. Whoever is dumb enough and insecure enough to actually throw that kind of money towards the initials after their name deserves whatever consequences may follow. Much like people who can't get into a US MD/DO school or any known Carribean schools so they end up at a brand new program called John Smith Medical College of Ethiopia in a class size of 4 because they insist they're responsible and qualified to be in charge of peoples' lives some day. What people think in their minds will happen in the future and what actually does happen are two different things.

The state of Illinois wouldn't allow two DOs to identify themselves as having MDs, even after "earning" their MD from a Carribean school.

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/klatz.html

I can't emphasize enough how bad an idea it is for someone to cheapen their DO crendential by engaging in such shenanigans.

I'm gonna pistol whip the next person that says shenanigans.

You don't mess with the law. The law messes with you.

I get it now. Just a little slow on the uptake today.

Em Portugal eu sou cardiologisto.

Maybe you but I am waiting for interview invites.

The state of Illinois wouldn't allow two DOs to identify themselves as having MDs, even after "earning" their MD from a Carribean school.

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/klatz.html

I can't emphasize enough how bad an idea it is for someone to cheapen their DO crendential by engaging in such shenanigans.

Thanks for thatl ink; you answered my question before I asked it.

When I brought this up in the reisdents' forum, they said there is no problem advertising yourself as an MD if you got it from some online med school. They basically all disagreed, saying licensure under a certain degree (MD, for example) was not necessary to put it after you name; simply having the degree was sufficient. I knew that was a false statement, because of a dentist in Ohio (single degree OMFS) who was sued after buying an MD online (he did not want to expand his practice's scope, just have the two letters for matketing) and was forced to remove it from his ads.

There is one thing nice about the link! Take a look at the first line of the second paragraph. It says DOs are more highly trained.

"What is more unfortunate for D.O.’s, who are as equally trained as M.D.’s – truthfully, more highly trained...."

I think they just accidently admitted on their own website that DO's are better than MD's.

yea, i thought this was just awful sentence...especially since they used the word UNFORTUNATE....

I think they should turn the entire website into an infomercial shown on tv at 2 am. It can star Billy Mayes and Estaban (the spanish guitar guy):

' TIRED OF THAT SHABBY OLD DO CREDENTIAL HOLDING YOU BACK???'

' ARE YOU READY FOR THE RESPECT, OPPORTUNITIES, AND LIFESTYLE YOU DESERVE??'

'IF SO ... Then follow me and my friend Esteban here on a half an hour presentation that teaches you how to turn your DO degree into an MD online, all at no cost to you, in 20 minutes or less guaranteed ...'

I think they should turn the entire website into an infomercial shown on tv at 2 am. It can star Billy Mayes and Estaban (the spanish guitar guy):

' TIRED OF THAT SHABBY OLD DO CREDENTIAL HOLDING YOU BACK???'

' ARE YOU READY FOR THE RESPECT, OPPORTUNITIES, AND LIFESTYLE YOU DESERVE??'

'IF SO ... Then follow me and my friend Esteban here on a half an hour presentation that teaches you how to turn your DO degree into an MD online, all at no cost to you, in 20 minutes or less guaranteed ...'

Hahaha, is it just me or is that man's beard an advertisement in and of itself for Grecian Urn, or Just For Men?

***SELL OUT ALERT***

This website has probably just received a couple of thousand hits. The owner is probably thinking "holy cow" I'm going to be rich!

Being a DO and having this MD would just kill your credibility as a doctor, which is ironically the exact opposite effect those that would do this program are looking to get. Next to the "Services" section there should be an "Irony" tab.

Still, I don't know what's worse: this DO to MD thing, or one of those online med schools that gives advanced standing to PAs and chiropractors! At least this stupid DO-to-MD thing isn't being used to try and expand your scope of practice.

It is no accident. Rather, it is a good psychological ploy to lure you in. It is used quite often by advertisers. It is no secret that most european companies call their advertising departments the department of propaganda. Only in America are we fooled by this crap every day.

Guys, i think they are saying that MD's are better than DO's in this statement. It's just poorly written. I think they were trying to say something like this: "What is more unfortunate for DO's, who are equally trained as MDs (who are truthfully more highly trained), ....blah blah"

They're trying to say MDs are btter in a horribly crafted sentence - there's some reassurance in their program for ya :laugh:

what could they possibly "teach" you to change you DO to an MD? The curriculum for the two programs is the same...

my question is, how did the OP come across this website...was he/she searching for such a program?! :confused: lol

for all you recent graduates, I'm currently running a special on DO to MD certification. You send me 1/20th of a years tuition to any med school in the United States, and I will send you an official MD certification suitable for display. For a limited time the package includes a free box of tounge depressors so act quickly before supplies run out!!:thumbup:

for all you recent graduates, I'm currently running a special on DO to MD certification. You send me 1/20th of a years tuition to any med school in the United States, and I will send you an official MD certification suitable for display. For a limited time the package includes a free box of tounge depressors so act quickly before supplies run out!!:thumbup:

No deal. I'll reconsider if you throw in some tongue depressors, though.

Wait so I can be a real doctor after attending school to be an osteopath??? This is freaking awesome. I have never been so happy that I was rejected from Ross and SGU in my life!!! Sign me up!!

my question is, how did the OP come across this website...was he/she searching for such a program?! :confused: lol

Its an advertiser on SDN and I think I've seen it on MDapps, too.

Its an advertiser on SDN and I think I've seen it on MDapps, too.

I saw it there, too. It seems to be all over these medically-related sites, now. It must be brand new. Once they realize no one is buying it, though, they will go out of business and realize they blew thousands of dollars advertising, and to no avail.

I saw it there, too. It seems to be all over these medically-related sites, now. It must be brand new. Once they realize no one is buying it, though, they will go out of business and realize they blew thousands of dollars advertising, and to no avail.

Or hopefully be shut down!!! :barf: