can someone please help me with my loupes and light purchase?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigEd

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need loupes and a light.

I don't want to search for hours for old threads which are outdated here and of no value.

Anyone got some current knowledge? Money is not a factor. I want the best.

Any help is appreciated although if I really got some solid advice it would be a first for this website.

Thanks,

Biged

Members don't see this ad.

Okay. The stab at telling SDN that you're not getting any worthwhile information isn't really a good idea. Why do that?

But to answer your question, I don't have loupes but a bunch of my classmates do. I'm still deciding which company I'd like to go through. I'm looking into Designs for Visions simply because I've been impressed with their treatment of my classmates. As nice as Orascoptics showmanship is, when it comes down to their product it's not as much as I think it's cracked up to be. Their loupe distances comes in small, medium , large and extra-large. The differences are like 3 inches, which is a pretty big deal for that tiny magnification. A friend of mine has them and seemed pretty unimpressed.

A lot of people that have designs for Vision at my school liek them. The distances come in (I believe) 1/2 inch or 1 inch increments. They have a lifetime warranty as long as you dont buy the sports frame and the lens/magnifiying part are guaranteed for life. They magnify really nice (I used a friend's) and I liked them. I'll probably be getting a pair from them in the next couple of months.

I don't know anything about the light though.

well, i have really enjoyed my Orascoptics. Even though the different distances are 3 inches apart, they stay in focus for more than 3 inches toward and away from you. (i know that there is a technical term for that but it just doesnt come to mind right now) i have also been impressed with their large field of view. lots of my classmates have Heine. they seem to be a very high quality loupe. however, i wanted TTL, and they only offer a flip-up. As for DFV, if you get those, don't get the sport frame. at one of my jobs during high school we had to have safety glasses, and we would buy those exact frames for a few dollars a piece. so, i dont think they are going to last very long.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the second thread in which you have asked the same question. Once again, quit worrying about how you look, Designs for visions loupes are arguably the best quality loupes. Good customer support, durable frames, best field of vision. Dont, I mean DONT buy plastic frames to look cool. Patients dont give a rats ass what your frames look like.

You can get portable clip on lights if you think you need it. My suggestion is to work a little longer without a light and you will likely adjust and not need one for most procedures (especially restorative and pros).

Okay. The stab at telling SDN that you're not getting any worthwhile information isn't really a good idea. Why do that?

But to answer your question, I don't have loupes but a bunch of my classmates do. I'm still deciding which company I'd like to go through. I'm looking into Designs for Visions simply because I've been impressed with their treatment of my classmates. As nice as Orascoptics showmanship is, when it comes down to their product it's not as much as I think it's cracked up to be. Their loupe distances comes in small, medium , large and extra-large. The differences are like 3 inches, which is a pretty big deal for that tiny magnification. A friend of mine has them and seemed pretty unimpressed.

A lot of people that have designs for Vision at my school liek them. The distances come in (I believe) 1/2 inch or 1 inch increments. They have a lifetime warranty as long as you dont buy the sports frame and the lens/magnifiying part are guaranteed for life. They magnify really nice (I used a friend's) and I liked them. I'll probably be getting a pair from them in the next couple of months.

I don't know anything about the light though.

Once again I am right.

Tell me this. I am wanting information on something that is going to cost near $3,000 and you do not even have a pair or loupes nor a light. However, you are telling me what to buy?

Do you consider this worthwhile information? Seriously, you don't even have a pair and you are giving me advice on what to buy.

I need opinions from people that have the items man. So another worthwile post? No.

This is the second thread in which you have asked the same question. Once again, quit worrying about how you look, Designs for visions loupes are arguably the best quality loupes. Good customer support, durable frames, best field of vision. Dont, I mean DONT buy plastic frames to look cool. Patients dont give a rats ass what your frames look like.

You can get portable clip on lights if you think you need it. My suggestion is to work a little longer without a light and you will likely adjust and not need one for most procedures (especially restorative and pros).

Thanks for keeping up on my posts daddy. Designs for vision are ugly, plain and simple. I tried them on when a rep came to our school and they felt terrible, looked horrible and were nothing more than cheap dollar store glasses with loupes attached.

I will never ever purchase designs for vision. They are not for me.

Thanks for keeping up on my posts daddy. Designs for vision are ugly, plain and simple. I tried them on when a rep came to our school and they felt terrible, looked horrible and were nothing more than cheap dollar store glasses with loupes attached.

I will never ever purchase designs for vision. They are not for me.

You ask for advice from someone with experience and you got it. A pair of loupes and a light should not cost $3000. What makes you think your new thread will bring new information. There is a difference with "trying on loupes with a rep" and treating patients with loupes for several years. Good luck DADDY, Im sure you will get plenty of great advice with your tone.

This is so odd.... Designs for vision is the big fat reject at our schoo (Temple). I have Orascoptic TTL with the Rudy Project frames. I love them lots of students in our class have these type Super light Super long warantee blah blah blah. I think they are excellent. The surgitel oakleys are the second most popular and every one who has them seems to enjoy them also. But surgitel doesn't offer a sport frame with TTL like Orascoptic. Also Orascoptic has bent over backwards to help anyone with a minute problem. They have also won the dental townie awards (award given by the actual dentists opinions and responses) for the past couple of years for loupes. Anywho there are several good ones out there......but remember YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

BIGED,

You are asking for advice on the same site you did before.
If you don't like the advice, try a different venue.
DFV has many frames. I'm not going to pimp for them, but I have not had to look elsewere in 14 years. They treat me good so I recommend them.
If you really want to know which ones are for you, just ask for a 1 month test drive. most reputable companies will do this.

Good luck

BIGED,

You are asking for advice on the same site you did before.
If you don't like the advice, try a different venue.
DFV has many frames. I'm not going to pimp for them, but I have not had to look elsewere in 14 years. They treat me good so I recommend them.
If you really want to know which ones are for you, just ask for a 1 month test drive. most reputable companies will do this.

Good luck

thanks for the advice it was good. counting my posts, well, that was ignorant.

wow biged seems to have an attitude.. anyways

if DFV is big/ugly/distasteful, and everybody seems to be recommending them--then i think the problem lies with you biged not dfv

wow biged seems to have an attitude.. anyways

if DFV is big/ugly/distasteful, and everybody seems to be recommending them--then i think the problem lies with you biged not dfv

man I guess. looks like im outnumbered here.

Did my rep have the same magnificent loupes that you guys are looking at?

This rep had loupes for $600.00 that looked like they were worth $6.00. Thats the only time I have seen DFV and I didn't even hang out to hear her spill on the company I was more like, yuck these aren't goin on my face......

pull up the website www.designsforvision.com Those buddyholly glasses are worse than ugly. Please tell me that these aren't the glasses you guys are praising so highly.

they are ridiculously ugly!

and to update, I am leaning toward the Rudy frames from orascoptic.

But have yet to make a solid decision.

BigEd,

please do keep us informed on this critical decision of yours..............actually, the best way to let us all know what you decide would probably be to update the other two threads as well, and maybe start 2-3 more. (pictures of you and your shiny new loupes at cool places...i.e. the mall, the gym, the vatican...would also be nice)

BigEd,

please do keep us informed on this critical decision of yours..............actually, the best way to let us all know what you decide would probably be to update the other two threads as well, and maybe start 2-3 more. (pictures of you and your shiny new loupes at cool places...i.e. the mall, the gym, the vatican...would also be nice)

thanks watchtower, first thing I will do is roll over tomorrow morning and tell your mom about my decision.