Can someone recommend a good molecular bio reference book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm looking for a good molecular biology textbook for med students, not like a board review book or anything. I'm looking for something along the lines of a real textbook version of HY molecular bio or something.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the 'molecular biology' that you get in your undergrad orgo and med school physiology and biochem textbooks is more than enough to understand nucleic acids, proteins, receptors, mechanisms, etc that we care about in medicine. The only thing missing is the various techniques used in bench research, which is sort of worthless knowledge unless you are actually planning on doing research. If that is the case, check out:

http://www.scipub.net/biology/techniques-molecular-biology.html

We used this and some other sources in the lab I used to work in, and there are various manuals available online with good info.

I'm actually asking on behalf of this researcher I know. She wanted a molecular bio text that is suitable for med students, but is not board review book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I'm looking for a good molecular biology textbook for med students, not like a board review book or anything. I'm looking for something along the lines of a real textbook version of HY molecular bio or something.

Any suggestions?

I don't think one exists. Haha!

I never used any molecular bio textbooks during M1-M2 years, but here are the books that were recommended to us as part of our MCB course:

- Molecular Cell Biology. Lodish, et al.
- Molecular Biology of the Cell. Alberts, et al.
- Cell Biology. Pollard and Earnshaw

I never used these books so I can't provide any feedback. Sorry.

I used lodish in undergrad and in graduate school. It is decent and seems to be the standard cell bio book.

It wasnt bad but it wasnt exactly what I would call concise.

I used lodish in undergrad and in graduate school. It is decent and seems to be the standard cell bio book.

It wasnt bad but it wasnt exactly what I would call concise.

Alberts is extremely well written, though a bit much for med students (as are all thick basic science textbooks)

Alberts has a lot of good pictures and it's depth is suitable in some areas for med students.

I'm actually asking on behalf of this researcher I know. She wanted a molecular bio text that is suitable for med students, but is not board review book.

Tell your researcher that the new HY molecular and cell bio is suitable; if her med students can master that book, they will be experts in mol/cell bio.

Honestly, anything beyond that book is wayy too much overkill for med students. Now, if you want to spend 14hrs per day, for 20yrs, in the lab trying to isolate some protein found only in the hypothalamus of the south american eel, then you may need to look elsewhere.

For a med student doing research, I think Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts et al is an excellent resource. My husband and some friends are in grad school for neuroscience, devo bio, etc. and this is the textbook for their core courses. It provides an in-depth intro into most topics that will allow MDs-to-be doing research to understand the relevant reviews and new research in their respective fields. Also, it is available online for free (yay!)

As a side note of nerdiness, I totally recommend At the Bench: A Laboratory Navigator by Kathy Barker to any med student pursuing bench science or newbie grad student that is looking for an intro into life in the lab.

Tell your researcher that the new HY molecular and cell bio is suitable; if her med students can master that book, they will be experts in mol/cell bio.

Honestly, anything beyond that book is wayy too much overkill for med students. Now, if you want to spend 14hrs per day, for 20yrs, in the lab trying to isolate some protein found only in the hypothalamus of the south american eel, then you may need to look elsewhere.

I might have to disagree with you here.

HY is so bare bones it's not even funny. For anything more than the boards HY is way too little info, esp if it is the first time through cell bio.

I might have to disagree with you here.

HY is so bare bones it's not even funny. For anything more than the boards HY is way too little info, esp if it is the first time through cell bio.

You may be correct, cell/mol bio is certainly not my forte. However, throughout medical school I have not found it necessary to refer to any source beyond HY 2007.