Can someone review my practice essay (only takes 10-15mins)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmclinn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I did a practice essay under timed parameters to prepare for the PCAT on the 17th. I'd REALLY appreciate it if someone (or a few) could give me some pointers on things I could improve. I wrote this exact copy on paper in 30mins, starting from right when I was introduced to the question. THANK YOU!

Topic: Children today often lack healthy role models. Indicate an individual or type of individual whom you believe might serve as a positive role model, and indicate why you made your particular choice.

The Media is often the messenger when it comes to delivering good and bad news. Moreso than not the news revolves around scandals, celebrities, and other problems. The youth of America need to be exposed to better role models. I believe if the media focused on individuals whom came from nothing and are now successful, it would emphasize such traits such as perseverance and gratefulness to our future leaders.

Individuals that came from a lower socioeconomic status have experienced hardships many of us take for granted. There were days when they didn’t know where their next meal would come from. Our children thankfully don’t have to worry about things like that, however it can lead to a sense of entitlement. A person that has paved their own way knows the real struggles that life can throw your direction. They know to be grateful for all the good things too. This can be used to teach our children gratefulness and a feeling of less entitlement.

Not only can individuals who climbed their way up the socioeconomic ladder show us gratefulness but they can also teach perseverance. These less fortunate had rocks thrown in their way constantly, rocks that make our hardships look like pebbles, It is their perseverance that kept them on their path to become successful. A natural perseverance is a hard trait to find in today’s society. It can teach our children what it really means to want something. Consequently, perseverance is what makes the reward even greater. Knowing how hard you’ve tried to make something a reality is a lesson from which our children can benefit.

The media will always focus on the headlines that catch everyone’s eye. I believe that stories about individuals that possess perseverance and gratefulness can benefit our children much more than celebrity scandals. These are the role models we need on the news that will inspire our children.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was hoping there would be a thread to grade PCAT essays, but there is not. :( I am not a grader, but I will look at the guidelines and give you a score of 0-6 with some feedback.

Avoid: "Iffy" phrases, nonsensical words, talking causal tone,
  • "The Media is often the messenger . . ." would be stronger to directly state "The Media's" role in providing role models for children.
  • "Moreso than not . . ." 'moreso' is not a word. Avoid adding fluff to your statements.
  • ". . . celebrities, and other problems." This statement overall is not completely clear. I do understand what you mean, it would have been better to say, 'the media frames scandals, misbehaving celebrities, and other social misdemeanors too glamorously.'
  • "I believe . . ." avoid self-reference, makes argument weaker because it makes it sound more like an opinion.
  • ". . . came from nothing. . ." avoid colloquialisms. What does this exactly mean? Did you mean that the started with humble intentions and pursued a positive passion that led to success? Or spontaneous generation??
  • ". . . many of us take for granted." another weak colloquialism. Too casual
  • "There were days when they didn’t know where their next meal would come from." Completely vague! Don't use contractions, it is too casual for standardized essays. Right here, would have been a great place to put an example of some sort of humility gained from persevering through poverty.

You should invest in a style/usage handbook and look over some principles in grammar. Your errors mostly stem from using a casual tone combined with too many "everyday sayings." I don't think I can go through pointing out all the little things wrong but I'll highlight the rest.

In your third paragraph you should ask yourself: How do poor people who became rich show humility or how do do they even teach others about it? I think it would have been better if you maybe referenced some historical figures, especially philanthropists like Andrew Carnegie. Or think of an area that has most things named after one person (lol...I go to school in Pittsburgh).

You must have been running out of time with your fourth paragraph. It would have been so much better if you could have tied it up with the first and second sentence combined to express how changes in the media's focus can also change the role models that are exposed to children.

I would give you a 2 because: Your overall solution is not cohesive, you use too many general expressions that take away the strength of your argument, and you have some mistakes in sentence usage and mechanics that detract from your essay. I would have to say though, you picked a really good solution to the problem, you just needed firmer examples to support it.

I think you've gotten a good start on it, but I agree with the points pointed out by 26194.
For me, I think it would be better if you expanded your view instead of primarily focusing on 'The Media's' role throughout your essay. Perhaps consider other individuals who people look up to-if this was my prompt, I'd consider including friends, family, and talking about the teachers we have in school or things like that.
I also felt like that you could expand on your points a bit more. For example, you're saying a lot of theoreticals, like "These less fortunate had rocks thrown in their way constantly, rocks that make our hardships look like pebbles, It is their perseverance that kept them on their path to become successful." More specific examples would help strengthen your argument. Perhaps adding something slightly more personal, or defining a more specific problem. It gives more weight to your argument instead of sounding overly vague.