Can someone update me with SGU's CAAM-HP accreditation withdrawal? Is SGU a bad option now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purpleblur

Reaction score
I'm trying to looking into the Top 4 Carribean Med schools and was wondering if anyone know if SGU's accrediation problem would be a red flag to not attend there? Which would be the next best school?

Members don't see this ad.

TLDR: It is a problem until it isn't. So it will be a problem until GMDC is recognized by ECFMG, which it is currently not approved nor denied for. If I had a gun to my head and had to bet I'd bet on SGU finding some way to worm their way in given the fact that the business is a cash cow and the fact that they can try for ACCM accreditation if GMDC doesn't work out. The question is; should someone take yet another additional risk going to the school, one that is 100% not in the student's hands.

The best school option is US MD/DO but I'm guessing posting on here means thats ship has sailed. The only other two carib schools I would even look at is Ross and AUC at the moment. I'm currently a 2nd year at Ross but both schools are owned by the same parent company so don't expect drastic differences.

@Gambino. thank you for explaining! I couldn't find any new info about it so thank you.

I'm not competitive for US schools, my gpa is alright for DO but I just can't get my MCAT score up so I'm considering Ross now. Do you happen to remember how your interview went at Ross? If so, what type of questions do they ask, were there any ethical questions that I should prepared for?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Gambino. thank you for explaining! I couldn't find any new info about it so thank you.

I'm not competitive for US schools, my gpa is alright for DO but I just can't get my MCAT score up so I'm considering Ross now. Do you happen to remember how your interview went at Ross? If so, what type of questions do they ask, were there any ethical questions that I should prepared for?
Interview is easy, should be the least of your worries going caribbean

Hi @Gambino. I have had trouble finding recent information on Ross. I'm planning on starting January term. Can you do a quick overview on living/housing etc stuff that future students should know before choosing Ross?
I've read your recent posts and have refrained from saying anything besides don't go, which others have already said. Living/housing shouldn't be your worry, it should be the 25-35% attrition rate. Most people that flunk out are low GPA and low MCAT students such as yourself. Idk you but the trend is that the main groups that make it out are the ones that were borderline competitive for US schools/ had a GPA OR MCAT issue, not both.

Housing is basic but adequate. COL is 2x-3x what you'd see in the states in regards to groceries but FAFSA covers it fine.

I've read your recent posts and have refrained from saying anything besides don't go, which others have already said. Living/housing shouldn't be your worry, it should be the 25-35% attrition rate. Most people that flunk out are low GPA and low MCAT students such as yourself. Idk you but the trend is that the main groups that make it out are the ones that were borderline competitive for US schools/ had a GPA OR MCAT issue, not both.

Housing is basic but adequate. COL is 2x-3x what you'd see in the states in regards to groceries but FAFSA covers it fine.
Thanks for your concern though I was just looking for opinion on what I asked vs what I should worry about. If grade replacement was a thing, my GPA from freshmen year would def have been much higher. My 490s to low 500 score is unfortunately not enough to reapply to DO this cycle if you must know. Thanks anyway!

Thanks for your concern though I was just looking for opinion on what I asked vs what I should worry about. If grade replacement was a thing, my GPA from freshmen year would def have been much higher. My 490s to low 500 score is unfortunately not enough to reapply to DO this cycle if you must know. Thanks anyway!
You said your gpa is okay for DO and it's just your mcat. So, it's easier to fix a low mcat than to survive a school with such high attrition rate. There are a lot of uncertainties along the way and it's not guaranteed you'd match from a Caribbean school. However going to a US MD/DO will almost guarantee you a match.

Reactions: 1 user
Your gpa is good? Like above a 3.5? And your mcat is low 500's? You'd have a shot at some DO schools if you apply broadly... don't go to the Caribbean without exhausting all your options.

Reactions: 1 user