SGU withdrawing CAAM-HP accreditation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1085158

Not for me. Asking for a friend of mine who is about to attend.

He was just informed that SGU is withdrawing from the CAAM-HP accreditation

Let me know what this means and if it is a big issue.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you hear about that? If they truly are withdrawing than they would need to get accredited by another WDME recognized body, which in that region is going to have to be ACCM. Even if they get ACCM accreditation it is still a bad look for them as CAAM-HP is normally seen as a stricter organization.

If they don't get either of those than their school is essentially going to go out of business as their students won't be eligible to sit for USMLE or apply to US residencies.

Again though, this is the first I've heard about them withdrawing so if you have a link about it you should share it.

Where did you hear about that? If they truly are withdrawing than they would need to get accredited by another WDME recognized body, which in that region is going to have to be ACCM. Even if they get ACCM accreditation it is still a bad look for them as CAAM-HP is normally seen as a stricter organization.

If they don't get either of those than their school is essentially going to go out of business as their students won't be eligible to sit for USMLE or apply to US residencies.

Again though, this is the first I've heard about them withdrawing so if you have a link about it you should share it.
All students got the letter. I have a copy of it but I don't know the legality of sharing it here.

It says they are looking for accreditation from GMDC (Grenada Medical and Dental Council)

Members don't see this ad :)
All students got the letter. I have a copy of it but I don't know the legality of sharing it here.

It says they are looking for accreditation from GMDC (Grenada Medical and Dental CouCouncil
So, GMDC is currently applying for WFME recognition, which is a requirement to be ECFMG eligible starting in 2024 but seeing as how they haven't been granted it yet and could very well be rejected; I think SGU should be completely avoided until after GMDC gains recognition. Feel bad for people that just started as they will be SOL if they don't get this accreditation and recognition.

Reactions: 1 user
Let me clarify...

SGU is withdrawing CAAM-HP as it was their secondary accrediting body. SGU does have GMDC accreditation. SGU is now looking for GMDC to meet ECFMG requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
How bad is this situation?

Also, why would a school like SGU do something like this?

They were accredited with conditions for the past several years and likely either couldn't or didn't want to meet the conditions required to renew their accreditation.

It is a load of BS that they say GMDC is their primary accreditation lmao. If GMDC fails to be recognized than they're dead in the water. Id imagine it would have to be a pretty expensive/impossible to achieve requirement (e.g. failure rates too high or class sizes above recommended levels) for them to take a risk like this.

Reactions: 2 users
They were accredited with conditions for the past several years and likely either couldn't or didn't want to meet the conditions required to renew their accreditation.

It is a load of BS that they say GMDC is their primary accreditation lmao. If GMDC fails to be recognized than they're dead in the water. Id imagine it would have to be a pretty expensive/impossible to achieve requirement (e.g. failure rates too high or class sizes above recommended levels) for them to take a risk like this.
Are you saying that the quality of SGU has gone down and they are saying that they are withdrawing CAAM-HP accreditation when in reality they were in jeopardy of losing the accreditation in the first place?

How do you suggest students who are considering SGU should feel about this development?

Are you saying that the quality of SGU has gone down and they are saying that they are withdrawing CAAM-HP accreditation when in reality they were in jeopardy of losing the accreditation in the first place?

How do you suggest students who are considering SGU should feel about this development?
I can't comment on whether the quality is down or not but I don't buy the reason for their CAAM-HP withdrawal to be only due to it being a secondary accreditation. Itis pretty telling though.

I would probably avoid SGU until GMDC is approved by and eligible by ECFMG.

I can't comment on whether the quality is down or not but I don't buy the reason for their CAAM-HP withdrawal to be only due to it being a secondary accreditation. Itis pretty telling though.

I would probably avoid SGU until GMDC is approved by and eligible by ECFMG.
You know 2020 was a bad year when SGU is losing accreditation lol.

I feel bad for anyone who just started. My friend just nixed his plans to attend.

Would this mean that students currently at SGU are ineligible for US residency matching? And if the GMDC fails to uphold the ECFMG guidelines, would that mean that the graduates are, for lack of better words, SOL?
Yes and no. It means if you are applying for ECFMG certification before 2024 then you should be fine but if you are at SGU right now or planning to attend in the immediate future while the accreditation with GMDC is still outstanding, you will be paying for a worthless degree....yeah, SOL is about right.

I wonder if it is even legal to still accept students considering they are not fully accredited?

This is actually massive. If you read the report, it says that at the time of voluntary withdrawal SGU had been placed on probation. Some behind the scenes BS going on with them and their admin will definitely try to sweep it under the rug. Hedging all their bets on the recognition of a mostly no name accrediting body to become ECFMG eligible is rather dicey especially since they recently got billions of cash influx a couple years ago from a Chinese company.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is actually massive. If you read the report, it says that at the time of voluntary withdrawal SGU had been placed on probation. Some behind the scenes BS going on with them and their admin will definitely try to sweep it under the rug. Hedging all their bets on the recognition of a mostly no name accrediting body to become ECFMG eligible is rather dicey especially since they recently got billions of cash influx a couple years ago from a Chinese company.
Yeah, i saw that. That's crazy. There is probably shady stuff going on and why they probably withdrew so they don't get denied accreditation.

What do you think will happen to their current students? I know for 2024, you have to be recognized by WFME and also recognized by an accrediting body by ECFMG to sit for step and apply for residency.

Can't their current students still sit for step 1, 2cs ck and apply the match by being ecfmg certified since it's not 2024 yet? I don't think it's required to be ecfmg certified to apply, but maybe you have to be when you start residency (not sure on this one)?

Do you think this has something to do with the quality of the education or is this most probably an issue with a discrepancy between the students enrolling and those graduating?

Well according to my buddy who was just accepted, he has been talking to their administration and according to what their administration is saying, as long as you are applying for ECFMG certification on or before 2024 then you are OK. The issue is for the students after 2024 so that would include a bunch of people already there and students being accepted right now.

Yeah, i saw that. That's crazy. There is probably shady stuff going on and why they probably withdrew so they don't get denied accreditation.

What do you think will happen to their current students? I know for 2024, you have to be recognized by WFME and also recognized by an accrediting body by ECFMG to sit for step and apply for residency.

Can't their current students still sit for step 1, 2cs ck and apply the match by being ecfmg certified since it's not 2024 yet? I don't think it's required to be ecfmg certified to apply, but maybe you have to be when you start residency (not sure on this one)?
Current students applying before 2024 will be okay. Afterwards itll be a random gamble. Current students that will apply to reosneecy before 2024 should be okay but all the new students will be SOL.

Current students applying before 2024 will be okay. Afterwards itll be a random gamble. Current students that will apply to reosneecy before 2024 should be okay but all the new students will be SOL.
Yeah that's what i assumed too esp since rn you could take the step and apply for the match w/o ECFMG. The only thing is you just need to get certified by them before starting from what I know. Looks like SGU might drop from the Big 3 (and even big 5 if we were to include aua and saba). I think it's incredibly dangerous to go to SGU now and the cost of it doesn't even justify for the name if they lose their accreditation status.

Well according to my buddy who was just accepted, he has been talking to their administration and according to what their administration is saying, as long as you are applying for ECFMG certification on or before 2024 then you are OK. The issue is for the students after 2024 so that would include a bunch of people already there and students being accepted right now.
Wouldnt your buddy who just been accepted be class of 2025? Doesn't that affect him? To be class of 2024, i think you have to have started at least 6 months ago.

Wouldnt your buddy who just been accepted be class of 2025? Doesn't that affect him? To be class of 2024, i think you have to have started at least 6 months ago.
Hi, I don't believe you read through this whole thread but it says "my buddy" decided not to attend SGU so no, this does not affect him :)

How bad is this situation?

Also, why would a school like SGU do something like this?
I am an SGU alumnus and I have a daughter who is a freshman at SGU. SGU does have GMDC accreditation which is approved by the US Department of Education for loans.
SGU would not put its students at risk of not being able to participate in the match. There are lower tier Caribbean medical schools with WFME approval. There is no reason to think that GMDC will not get WFME accreditation.
When I graduated from SGU, the school was accredited by the Grenadian Government directly, which was approved for US student loans. After I left, SGU was instrumental in forming CAAM and was one of the first schools approved so I assume SGU had a good reason for leaving CAAM and pursuing WFME recognition.
As a former student I can say that SGU was always the leader in the Caribbean, they know what they are doing.

Reactions: 1 users
I am an SGU alumnus and I have a daughter who is a freshman at SGU. SGU does have GMDC accreditation which is approved by the US Department of Education for loans.
SGU would not put its students at risk of not being able to participate in the match. There are lower tier Caribbean medical schools with WFME approval. There is no reason to think that GMDC will not get WFME accreditation.
When I graduated from SGU, the school was accredited by the Grenadian Government directly, which was approved for US student loans. After I left, SGU was instrumental in forming CAAM and was one of the first schools approved so I assume SGU had a good reason for leaving CAAM and pursuing WFME recognition.
As a former student I can say that SGU was always the leader in the Caribbean, they know what they are doing.
OK thank you. I will tell my friend to not NOT go now.

Thank you for jumping in and clearing this up. I was expecting a school admin to jump on here and make a post but looks like you've beaten 'em to the punch.

If I were an applicant considering SGU in the future, this would surely put me at ease.

• Haha
There might be no reason but there is also no guarantee. We are often being told carib is a gamble but most of that gamble relies on yourself. Now you are relying on GMDC to gain accreditation which you have no power to sway. Regardless, it is still a heightened risk and if someone is dead set on SGU I'd recommend they at least wait for this recognition to be granted first.
After I left, SGU was instrumental in forming CAAM and was one of the first schools approved so I assume SGU had a good reason for leaving CAAM and pursuing WFME recognition.
This is true, however, they have been accredited with conditions for years now when subpar schools are able to get full accreditation. Also, per the report, they were put on probation as of their last visit prior to voluntarily withdrawing their accreditation with CAAM-HP.

I do think that they must have a plan and a tertiary backup is always ACCM accreditation seeing as how they are WFME recognized but there isn't zero possibility things turn south.

I wouldn’t worry about this when considering sgu. They held duel accreditations and wouldn’t have dropped caam if they weren’t 100% certain gmdc wouldn’t get approved from wfme. If you look on their website they already filed for approval after they met ththe criteria. GMDC Response to Upcoming ECFMG Requirement for International Medical Graduates | Grenada Medical and Dental Council

there is nothing for current students to worry about and caam hp is up for reaccreditation anyways in 2022.

I wouldn’t worry about this when considering sgu. They held duel accreditations and wouldn’t have dropped caam if they weren’t 100% certain gmdc wouldn’t get approved from wfme. If you look on their website they already filed for approval after they met ththe criteria. GMDC Response to Upcoming ECFMG Requirement for International Medical Graduates | Grenada Medical and Dental Council

there is nothing for current students to worry about and caam hp is up for reaccreditation anyways in 2022.
Do you think there could be a conflict of interest with them seeking accredition from GMDC specifically since SGU has a lot of ties to the country?

My theory is that CAAM-HP has a set of guidelines and for whatever reason, SGU did not meet those guidelines or did not want to meet those guidelines so now they looking elsewhere so to speak and interestingly they are going to GMDC.

It might not be a problem like you suggest but it is certainly suspicious.

I wouldn’t worry about this when considering sgu. They held duel accreditations and wouldn’t have dropped caam if they weren’t 100% certain gmdc wouldn’t get approved from wfme.
Except you're missing the fact that they withdrew as they were put on probation by CAAM-HP. It isn't like there was no problem and they were like "well might as well drop this long-standing accrediting body in favor of a no name one that hasn't gotten approval yet."

Again, they'll likely end up being fine seeing as how ACCM is still an option but, there's no 100% guarantee until after GMDC is recognized by WDME.

Do you think there could be a conflict of interest with them seeking accredition from GMDC specifically since SGU has a lot of ties to the country?
Eh, they might be able to skid by easier but the problem isn't getting GMDC accreditation, it's GMDC getting WDME approval so the accreditation actually means something.
My theory is that CAAM-HP has a set of guidelines and for whatever reason, SGU did not meet those guidelines or did not want to meet those guidelines so now they looking elsewhere so to speak and interestingly they are going to GMDC.
I agree. They would not bother with this had there not been an issue with CAAM-HP.

How is that the case if their students can't sit for STEP?

There is absolutely no way that SGU won't be accredited by 2024.
Many Agencies, not only GMDC, are currently applying for recognition status.
Even countries like Israel, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Switzerland dont have the status yet:
Also, it is irrelevant because any medical student or graduate, as long as their school meets ECFMG’s current requirements, may apply for ECFMG Certification before 2024 and fall under their current policies.

I emailed ECFMG, here is the reply :
" It doesn’t matter when you will graduate – what matters is when you apply for ECFMG Certification. If you apply before 2024, you will not be impacted by the requirement.
Those who are already enrolled in an acceptable school can apply for ECFMG Certification now or anytime before 2024. Its not possible to take the USMLE exams however, until you have completed two years of medical school.
Then you can start taking the exams whenever you are ready. If you wish, you can apply before 2024 and not take an exam until after 2024.
To confirm that your medical school meets ECFMG’s current requirements, access the World Directory at www.wdoms.org. Medical schools that meet ECFMG’s requirements will have a note stating this in the schools’ World Directory listing under “Sponsor Notes.” See also this guide on how to confirm that a medical school meets eligibility requirements (pdf)."

SGU is listed as "Current."
"Students and graduates of this medical school are eligible to apply to ECFMG for ECFMG Certification and for examination, provided that:
  • For medical school students officially enrolled in this school, the graduation years are listed below as “current”.
  • For graduates of this medical school, their graduation year is included in the graduation years listed below.
Graduation Years:
1977 - Current"

Even countries like Israel, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Switzerland dont have the status yet:
Also, it is irrelevant because any medical student or graduate, as long as their school meets ECFMG’s current requirements, may apply for ECFMG Certification before 2024 and fall under their current policies.

" It doesn’t matter when you will graduate – what matters is when you apply for ECFMG Certification. If you apply before 2024, you will not be impacted by the requirement.
Those who are already enrolled in an acceptable school can apply for ECFMG Certification now or anytime before 2024. Its not possible to take the USMLE exams however, until you have completed two years of medical school.
Then you can start taking the exams whenever you are ready. If you wish, you can apply before 2024 and not take an exam until after 2024.
To confirm that your medical school meets ECFMG’s current requirements, access the World Directory at www.wdoms.org. Medical schools that meet ECFMG’s requirements will have a note stating this in the schools’ World Directory listing under “Sponsor Notes.” See also this guide on how to confirm that a medical school meets eligibility requirements (pdf)."

"Students and graduates of this medical school are eligible to apply to ECFMG for ECFMG Certification and for examination, provided that:
  • For medical school students officially enrolled in this school, the graduation years are listed below as “current”.
  • For graduates of this medical school, their graduation year is included in the graduation years listed below.
Graduation Years:
1977 - Current"
I'm not an SGU student so I really don't have a dog in this fight, so to say. However, timelines matter and students can't just write USMLE exams whenever they feel ready (whether they have completed 2 years of medical school or not). From what I understand, most schools (if not all) grant their students permission to write the USMLE exams. This involves writing comp (and passing it), being up to date with fees /tuition, and being done at least the basic science component. From what I've observed, students take a lot longer than they anticipate to qualify to write Step. If you repeat a semester, fail comp once/twice/three times, or fail the Step itself, you may run out of time in terms of accreditation. I'm not saying that will happen with SGU, but at some point the timeline could get dicey. I imagine SGU has explored the pros and cons of what they chose to do, but Caribbean schools are already a risky choice, so there's a real concern when something comes up that makes them even riskier.

It's really good that you emailed ECFMG. I like that you looked into it. but the ECFMG doesn't get to choose when Caribbean schools allow their students to move forward in their education. Your profile says you're a non-student, so if you're looking into SGU for yourself, good for you for doing your research. If you're doing it for someone you care about - be careful. You don't want to contribute to someone wasting money and time on something that may not pan out. If you just like contacting the ECFMG so you can support SGU on SDN, then have fun! It's not what I'd be doing with my spare time, but all the power to you.

if you're looking into SGU for yourself, good for you for doing your research. If you're doing it for someone you care about - be careful. You don't want to contribute to someone wasting money and time on something that may not pan out. If you just like contacting the ECFMG so you can support SGU on SDN, then have fun! It's not what I'd be doing with my spare time, but all the power to you.
The info I provided is relevant to ANY foreign med school. Regardless of my reason to look into it. Just wanted to be helpful and to share. What you said about contacting ECFMG so I can support SGU on SDN in my spare time is incorrect and rude.

Israel and other countries, even the UK accreditation body don't have it yet but that is comparing apples to oranges. Grenada is a small country without the resources or track record to assume the will be recognized and accepted. Also, bringing up the fact that current students can apply before 2024 is moot point. Even if incoming students get the ECFMG requirement, starting in 2022 they won't be able to seeing as how they won't sit for the step exams in time so the best they've done is delay the dilemma for another year.

Again, I think most would assume that SGU will get recognition either through GMDC or through ACCM if it comes down to it. The point is that there is an extra level of risk that wasn't there previously and the fact that they were on probation prior to withdrawing their CAAM-HP accredition is a red flag.

Graduation Years:
1977 - Current"
Pretty sure you didn't read our entire thread. We mentioned that students who are already enrolled or will apply by 2024 will not be affected (as much). We're talking about those 2025 and later. Please re-read the thread carefully. The problem with the EU countries is that a lot of them don't really cater to the US as the caribbean med schools do. Most pre-meds don't really go to EU for med school in hopes to return back to the US/Canada later on. I think the popular ones are caribbean, australia ,etc.

I gotta agree with gambino on this one. I never said that they won't get the accreditations. I'm saying there is a possibility that they don't and it is worrisome/ a risk. Do I believe they will get it again? yes, most likely they will get it. But for now, the risk is there, and when there are better alternatives like if you're from the US or canada, go to your respective country's med school rather than going to sgu is much better in all scenarios. What if the off chance they aren't able to get it since they were last placed on probationary status by CAAM-HP and you enrolled in a school like that?

Let's be real, think logically, why they would voluntarily withdraw from CAAM-HP with a probationary status to join a new accreditation agency with none or barely any records. Would a school take that big risk if they were going to be continued accredited with ease? If you think about it, it's probably they couldn't resolve the issues that were behind the scenes that CAAM-HP wanted them to address. They failed to do so, thus placing them on probationary status. They probably don't want to fix it. I'm pretty sure if they were given automatic accreditation, they wouldn't take such a risk. Like many other caribbean med schools, there is something going on that isn't present or noticeable to the general public.

Any speculation why they were on probation in the first place?

Do you think it could have to do with attrition?

Any speculation why they were on probation in the first place?

Do you think it could have to do with attrition?
The July 2017 CAAM report is vague but can give you some ideas.

"While the Authority noted the efforts made to address issues identified in the site visit report, significant concerns remain with respect to reliable methods of assessment. The Authority also remains concerned about the variability in pre-clinical phase between Grenada and Northumbria as well as the variability in clinical education across the large number of sites"

The July 2017 CAAM report is vague but can give you some ideas.

"While the Authority noted the efforts made to address issues identified in the site visit report, significant concerns remain with respect to reliable methods of assessment. The Authority also remains concerned about the variability in pre-clinical phase between Grenada and Northumbria as well as the variability in clinical education across the large number of sites"
That's crazy because SGU is known for having a huge clinical network. That's actually why a lot of people go there and not anywhere else.

I wonder what "methods of assessment" means? I have a feeling it is clinically-related stuff because even my SGU buddies say that it is deficient.

The info I provided is relevant to ANY foreign med school. Regardless of my reason to look into it. Just wanted to be helpful and to share. What you said about contacting ECFMG so I can support SGU on SDN in my spare time is incorrect and rude
If you want to share something helpful, then share something truthful. What you've written is riddled with inaccuracies. The sort of pseudo-truths that Caribbean students get fed a steady diet of until they learn otherwise. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't know any better, but what you wrote previously about what the ECFMG sent you in an email is not accurate. Feel free to send me a private message about the name of the person from the ECFMG that sent you that information. They are woefully misinformed, and if what you wrote is representative of what they told you, then they are culpable for you being misinformed as well. Not sure why they would send you that email? I've never gotten a reply like that. I guess you're special.

If you want to share something helpful, then share something truthful. What you've written is riddled with inaccuracies. The sort of pseudo-truths that Caribbean students get fed a steady diet of until they learn otherwise. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't know any better, but what you wrote previously about what the ECFMG sent you in an email is not accurate. Feel free to send me a private message about the name of the person from the ECFMG that sent you that information. They are woefully misinformed, and if what you wrote is representative of what they told you, then they are culpable for you being misinformed as well. Not sure why they would send you that email? I've never gotten a reply like that. I guess you're special.
What do students need to know about SGU's situation right now? Give us a straight and to-the-point answer.

What do students need to know about SGU's situation right now? Give us a straight and to-the-point answer.
Only SGU knows what their situation really is. This whole thread is about speculating on what the ramifications will be going forward given various outcomes. I speculate that current SGU student will be fine. If SGU does not gain accreditation in some form (unlikely), and somehow a current student takes a very long time to progress through the program, then they (the student) may have an issue.

The ECFMG does not dictate how students progress through the program at SGU and they do not decide when students are allowed to sit for Step. That is up to the school. The straight and to-the-point ramification of this reality, is that sheer willpower on a students behalf can't on its own ensure that the student will progress through the program at the pace they desire. No one is banking on repeating a semester, failing comp or having to take time off for personal reasons, so at some point, the timeline could matter.

Once again, I suspect it will be fine, but if you want to be confident that everything will work out, don't go to a Caribbean medical school.

I am certain this will all work out fine for SGU - i.e. they will get whatever accreditation they need.

But, it does seem somewhat fishy that they have dropped the "standard" accreditation, and instead are getting accreditation from Grenada. Which will only accredit a single school. Which is probably the biggest industry on the island. So seems unlikely they would ever NOT accredit it.

I am certain this will all work out fine for SGU - i.e. they will get whatever accreditation they need.

But, it does seem somewhat fishy that they have dropped the "standard" accreditation, and instead are getting accreditation from Grenada. Which will only accredit a single school. Which is probably the biggest industry on the island. So seems unlikely they would ever NOT accredit it.
Do you have any insight into what could have caused them to drop the accreditation?

The students should know because SGU is the biggest school down there and they advertise the most so if they are having problems producing doctors then it is almost guaranteed that every other school down there has a bigger problem.

My friend tried to convince me to apply because they don't require the MCAT but I said "No way Jose, I am going to a DO school."

The school already has the Grenada accreditation but the roadblock would be WFME recognizing GMDC as a acceptable accrediting body for the 2024 changes given how like you said, it's only giving one accreditation and to a school the country relies on for a vast amount of their GDP. I wonder if/what the pushback will be b/c if they give Grenada recognition what's to stop all those Guyanese carib schools from just making up their own accreditation body since they routinely get denied by CAAM-HP.

Do you have any insight into what could have caused them to drop the accreditation?

The students should know because SGU is the biggest school down there and they advertise the most so if they are having problems producing doctors then it is almost guaranteed that every other school down there has a bigger problem.

My friend tried to convince me to apply because they don't require the MCAT but I said "No way Jose, I am going to a DO school."

Honestly, i think it's kinda misleading when SGU termed as the "best" in the caribbean. Maybe in the past, they were better, but i think as of right now, the big 3 are fairly equal to each other (AUC, Ross and SGU). Saba and AUA come close. The price of SGU is prob not justified to choose that over going to the other two in the big 3. I think sticking with the big 3 prior to the SGU situation was the way to go IF you decide to go to the caribbean and maybe aua/saba if you got rejected from the big 3. Obv DO >>>

I think any school outside of those 5 aren't worth going. Once you're within those 5 schools, i feel like your opportunities to match are contingent on the same factors as they have always been. The number 1 factor to match is your step 1 score per NRMP. Yes, there are many clinical sites, but do you know the quality of them. Quantity doesnt always mean quality. Ross and SGU both have one single rotation site for the core specialties. I think it's more of the advertisement that gets students who decide to go to the caribbean to go with the "best" in the caribbean, but in all likelihood, your chances to match from SGU is the same at Ross or AUC, which is still lower than US MD and US DO schools.

With that being said, I'm pretty sure they'll get their accreditation needed for ECFMG. It'd be very surprising if they don't and very unfortunate.

So, GMDC is currently applying for WFME recognition, which is a requirement to be ECFMG eligible starting in 2024 but seeing as how they haven't been granted it yet and could very well be rejected; I think SGU should be completely avoided until after GMDC gains recognition. Feel bad for people that just started as they will be SOL if they don't get this accreditation and recognition.
SGU should be avoided at all costs no matter what. I went there for a few years. It was the worst school I’ve ever attended.
And the island is even more hellish. Stay in a US school even if it takes you a whole 4 years to get in. I’m serious. I hope SGU loses this gamble and all their accreditation. They need to know that sometimes when you take a risk, you lose.

Last edited:
Can someone explain what they mean by loosing ECFMG affiliation. Is that applied to foreign citizen and US Citizen .

That's crazy because SGU is known for having a huge clinical network. That's actually why a lot of people go there and not anywhere else.

I wonder what "methods of assessment" means? I have a feeling it is clinically-related stuff because even my SGU buddies say that it is deficient.
CAAM-HP charges for every visit and they are cash poor right now.... They don't even have the infrastructure for virtual-site visits during the pandemic and didn't have the funds to visit schools pre-pandemic. They haven't evaluated any schools in probably 2+ years....

SGU probably feels they have enough money and leverage to take them on, if they form their own accreditation they profit more per student. If it doesn't work out, they have the funds and infrastructure to secure ACCM or another WFME approved accreditor. Btw....CAAM-HP's WFME approval end date is coming up...I wonder if they will make it through.....

Is this true? My daughter is about to start there. We are excited and don’t feel it is a secondary school. I went to USF COM years ago but with Covid etc SGU was a good choice for us. You have a positive review- what else can you add?

Is this true? My daughter is about to start there. We are excited and don’t feel it is a secondary school. I went to USF COM years ago but with Covid etc SGU was a good choice for us. You have a positive review- what else can you add?
Hope you didn’t send your daughter to sgu over a US school because of covid reasons.

• Haha
CAAM-HP charges for every visit and they are cash poor right now.... They don't even have the infrastructure for virtual-site visits during the pandemic and didn't have the funds to visit schools pre-pandemic. They haven't evaluated any schools in probably 2+ years....

SGU probably feels they have enough money and leverage to take them on, if they form their own accreditation they profit more per student. If it doesn't work out, they have the funds and infrastructure to secure ACCM or another WFME approved accreditor. Btw....CAAM-HP's WFME approval end date is coming up...I wonder if they will make it through.....
We were told that SGU dropped CAAM-HP because they were not inspecting new SGU hospitals within NCFMEA's required 12 month period and this was before the pandemic. SGU did not want to risk staying with CAAM-HP so they went back to the GMCA accrediting body under which they initially received NCFMEA accreditation and US Department of Education loans.

GMDC (Grenada) is in good company awaiting WFME recognition. From the WFME website, the following countries have agencies currently applying for WFME recognition:

Germany
Jordan
Israel
Kyrgyzstan
Bahrain
Colombia
Grenada
Hungary
Selected Latin American countries including Panama and Venezuela
Italy
Spain
Saudi Arabia