SGU withdrawing CAAM-HP accreditation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What will happen to CAAM-HP after May 2022 ?
Is that applied to SGU only or others like St James who also mentioned that they are accredited till May 2022 after that they need extension or some new accreditation from another body. St James has Rotations sites in Chicago Virginia Texas

Members don't see this ad.

Hey ya'll, I am in the same boat having an interest on these issues. I could not imagine how a business for more than 40 years, and having supplied that huge amount of physicians into the US workforce, would lose that qualification so easily. I have even met US grad MD's who would recommend people going into SGU. For SJSM, SJSM is overseen by both ACCM and CAAM-HP. The former is recognized until Dec 2026, whereas the latter is recognized until May 2022 (see Agencies with Recognition Status - World Federation for Medical Education). Only one is required for a school to be recognized. While there are a number of medical schools on St. Vincent, it's quite interesting that Anguilla is on the list, as from what I know, SJSM is the only school (i.e. one of the campuses) on the island. When the accreditation bodies are approved by WFME, would there generally be an issue with whether or not those bodies would approve the schools? Maybe that's why SGU withdrew from CAAM-HP. Just like many other countries, they have their own accreditation body, and they want to just rely on that. Anyone knows when the statuses will be updated of - 1. WFME approval of Ministries of Education and Health in Grenada, and 2. extended accreditation of SJSM by ACCM and CAAM-HP?

What are the chances SJSM will be Reaccredited and when ? All they need is 1 accreditation. I was told by SJSM that they trying to get accreditation for next 3 or 6 years . Not sure what are the chances they will get it this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
OI could not imagine how a business for more than 40 years, and having supplied that huge amount of physicians into the US workforce, would lose that qualification so easily. I have even met US grad MD's who would recommend people going into SGU.
I mean sure it's likely they'll find a way through accreditation via GMDC or ACCM if it comes down to it but it's not like longstanding profitable institutions/companies haven't been brought down by regulation in the past. ITT Technical Institute ring a bell?
For SJSM, SJSM is overseen by both ACCM and CAAM-HP. The former is recognized until Dec 2026, whereas the latter is recognized until May 2022 (see Agencies with Recognition Status - World Federation for Medical Education).
They are on probation with CAAM-HP due to quality concerns with a required site visit delayed due to COVID. They are also on conditional accreditation with ACCM that expires next year. Both of their accreditations are up for renewal with a problematic past with both organizations...
While there are a number of medical schools on St. Vincent, it's quite interesting that Anguilla is on the list, as from what I know, SJSM is the only school (i.e. one of the campuses) on the island. When the accreditation bodies are approved by WFME, would there generally be an issue with whether or not those bodies would approve the schools? Maybe that's why SGU withdrew from CAAM-HP. Just like many other countries, they have their own accreditation body, and they want to just rely on that.
While obviously there'd be an issue if an organization such as ACCM gave somewhere random like Malaysia accredidation; they are well within their scope of accrediting fellow Caribbean schools (That's what both the C in both ACCM and CAAM-HP stand for obviously). It's a no brainer that a school would want a more renown/developed accrediting body and you said so yourself, there's no need for 2, so it makes sense they would typically forgo the lesser as it doesn't benefit them.
Anyone knows when the statuses will be updated of - 1. WFME approval of Ministries of Education and Health in Grenada, and 2. extended accreditation of SJSM by ACCM and CAAM-HP?
Don't think anyone on here would know unless they specifically work for the agencies involved. It will likely take a while as the whole point of the WFME changes is to weed out low quality programs/bodies and they don't really have to rush to approve/deny it given that the changes take affect 2024.

Its an old post, but did SGU and SJSM get any accreditation recently.
I heard that SJSM got 1 year more from ACCM, but fully accreditation is still not granted due to ongoing Clinical site visits and COVID.
May be ACCM found something and give them 1 more year to fix it.. who knows ...
Any one knows more ?

I heard that SJSM got 1 year more from ACCM, but fully accreditation is still not granted due to ongoing Clinical site visits and COVID.
Any one knows more ?
Literally a whole post on SGU right above this..

Just go on the ACCM website and look up their accreditation it isn't rocket science.

Any one knows more ?
Go to SGU's website. It breaks down their current accreditation status and who they are now accredited by.

Do not go to controversial medical schools. Matriculation is a mutual process, and if they wanted their perfect candidate, look for perfection in the school itself. Medical school is a big thing and do not feel rushed. Ask yourself: is it possible I will regret my decision in 5 years? What can I do to now make that regret go away? What factors are out of my control and is it important?

Going to questionable medical schools shows a deficiency of your decision power. There has been issues leading to the problems with accreditations and litigations, and these will affect your schooling.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update everyone:

SGU Is accredited by the Grenada Medical and Dental Council which the U.S. National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (NCFMEA), (a panel of experts organized by the U.S. Department of Education), determined that GMDC uses standards that are comparable to the standards used to accredit medical schools in the United States. That accreditation is good for the next 8 years.

As of September 3rd 2022, The Grenada Medical and Dental Council (GMDC) has been awarded Recognition Status by the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME). WFME Recognition Status has been awarded for ten years. link: GMDC_Press-release_Recognition.pdf (wfme.org)

See placement here: SGU - Residency Appointment Directory

Keep in mind: WFME's approval of CAAM-HP expires on May 31st 2023 LINK: WFME extends CAAM-HP’s Recognition Status – Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and Other Health Professions At which point CAAM-HP will have to go through the approval process with WFME

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think there is much overthinking. To believe SGU would not have sorted their situation out is an interesting thought process, considering how much money is behind them.

Now I see some posts have moved on to the CAAM-HPs status. Even the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) is recognised only until April 2024.

Yes only a year after CAAM-HP, but still around the corner. Will they not be extended also? Extremely unlikely, probably impossible.

There are too many regional governments and institutions relying on CAAM-HP also.

I personally think there is much overthinking. To believe SGU would not have sorted their situation out is an interesting thought process, considering how much money is behind them.

Now I see some posts have moved on to the CAAM-HPs status. Even the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) is recognised only until April 2024.

Yes only a year after CAAM-HP, but still around the corner. Will they not be extended also? Extremely unlikely, probably impossible.

There are too many regional governments and institutions relying on CAAM-HP also.
I was never worried that SGU would not "sorted their situation out".

From the SGU website, the Grenada Medical and Dental Council (GMDC) was awarded WFME recognition on September 3, 2022 for 10 years.

According to the list, CAAM-HP has not applied to WFME for recognition yet:

The following accrediting agencies have an application under consideration by WFME (listed in alphabetical order):
• Accreditation Agency in Health and Social Sciences (AHPGS) (Germany)
• Bahrain Education & Training Quality Authority (BQA) (Bahrain)
• Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education (SKVC)
• Conférence Internationale des Doyens et des Facultés de Médecine d'Expression Française (CIDMEF) (Selected Francophone countries world-wide)
• Consejo Nacional de Acreditatión (CNA) (Colombia)
• Council for Higher Education (Israel)
• Eurasian Centre for Accreditation and Quality Assurance in Higher Education and Health care (ECAQA) (Kazakhstan)
• Instituto Acreditación Internacional (IAI) (Selected Latin American countries)
• Italian National Agency for the Evaluation of Universities and Research Institutes (ANVUR) (Italy)
• National Agency for Quality Assessment and Accreditation of Spain (ANECA) (Spain)
• Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC)
• Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) (Philippines)
• Sri Lanka Medical Council (SLMC) (Sri Lanka)
• Swiss Agency of Accreditation and Quality Assurance (AAQ) (Switzerland)

Attachments

• GMDC_Press-release_Recognition.pdf
    122.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Keep in mind: WFME's approval of CAAM-HP expires on May 31st 2023 LINK: WFME extends CAAM-HP’s Recognition Status – Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and Other Health Professions At which point CAAM-HP will have to go through the approval process with WFME
People should keep in mind that recognition status is regularly renewed? Lmao.

Has SGU actually fixed the issues that were getting them put on probation by CAAM-HP in the first place? Seems like a conflict of interest to have a Grenadian accrediting body, that only accredits one school be the one to assess them.

Reactions: 1 user
I was never worried that SGU would not "sorted their situation out".

From the SGU website, the Grenada Medical and Dental Council (GMDC) was awarded WFME recognition on September 3, 2022 for 10 years.

According to the list, CAAM-HP has not applied to WFME for recognition yet:

The following accrediting agencies have an application under consideration by WFME (listed in alphabetical order):
• Accreditation Agency in Health and Social Sciences (AHPGS) (Germany)
• Bahrain Education & Training Quality Authority (BQA) (Bahrain)
• Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education (SKVC)
• Conférence Internationale des Doyens et des Facultés de Médecine d'Expression Française (CIDMEF) (Selected Francophone countries world-wide)
• Consejo Nacional de Acreditatión (CNA) (Colombia)
• Council for Higher Education (Israel)
• Eurasian Centre for Accreditation and Quality Assurance in Higher Education and Health care (ECAQA) (Kazakhstan)
• Instituto Acreditación Internacional (IAI) (Selected Latin American countries)
• Italian National Agency for the Evaluation of Universities and Research Institutes (ANVUR) (Italy)
• National Agency for Quality Assessment and Accreditation of Spain (ANECA) (Spain)
• Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC)
• Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) (Philippines)
• Sri Lanka Medical Council (SLMC) (Sri Lanka)
• Swiss Agency of Accreditation and Quality Assurance (AAQ) (Switzerland)

You missed the entire paragraph that says:
The following accrediting agencies have been recognised by WFME: • Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and Other Health Professions (CAAM-HP) (Countries of the Caribbean Community, CARICOM) – recognised until May 2023

That's point #4 on Page 2 of the document you uploaded. CAAM-HP's recognition is actively recognized from May 2012 – May 2023. In this case, they will be up for renewal.

People should keep in mind that recognition status is regularly renewed? Lmao.

Has SGU actually fixed the issues that were getting them put on probation by CAAM-HP in the first place? Seems like a conflict of interest to have a Grenadian accrediting body, that only accredits one school be the one to assess them.
It's a complete conflict of interest, but what can anyone do? They are having their cake and eating it, too, figuratively speaking. I suspect the issues that put them on probation are far from resolved.

Last edited: