Can someone with a psychology degree get into Osteopathic Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Microbiology_zombie94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I considering psychology because I want to get into psychiatry for medical school? Yes or no on this?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Be a psych major because you like psychology. You can still get into med school with a psych degree as long as you fulfill the pre-reqs that the med school requires.

I considering psychology because I want to get into psychiatry for medical school? Yes or no on this?
Do you mind explaining how you think the medical education process works? I'm curious.

You can major in whatever you want! I have a psych degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have an acceptance and majored in psych. If you're able, figure out which classes are most relevant to that part of the MCAT and take those. Psych is great for forcing higher order thinking skills that you don't always get in bio.

Neuroscience would be really good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the words of Leslie Knope, "AbsoTUTely I am very sorry i just used that word"
Maybe OP just used weird wording when writing this, but psych is a great degree. Do it because you love it - it can certainly get you into medical school. If you're interested in psychiatry, you can do shadowing now and flesh that out more in med school/shoot for psych residency if that's still your interest down the road. Good luck!

As @J Senpai suggested, do your research.

Lots to learn. Most of your questions are searchable.

Yes, you can. Majors are irrelevant for entry into med school. But I recommend a major that will be both interesting and useful in case a career in Medicine isn't for you.

Reactions: 2 users
I wish I didn't major in biology - I would rather have done biochemistry or psychology to some extent.

1) choose ANY major you want
2) take the required med school courses
3) maintain high GPA/do well on your MCAT
4) ???
5) profit

Reactions: 2 users
I did! And it was some of the most interesting stuff I've learned all undergrad.

I wish I did finance, econ, or business to be honest. I am so confused by most of White Coat Investor's posts...:(

I wish I did finance, econ, or business to be honest. I am so confused by most of White Coat Investor's posts...:(
Most of the investors on the forum are self-taught. I would highly recommend investopedia and the bogleheads forums for a finance and investment noob, it really isn't that hard.

Reactions: 1 users
Most of the investors on the forum are self-taught. I would highly recommend investopedia and the bogleheads forums for a finance and investment noob, it really isn't that hard.

Looks like I got my work cut out before M1 starts. Thanks for the tip, I definitely want to be smart with my finances asap.

As a person who has done an econ degree, it doesn't help that much with the individual financial stuff. I only had one course that really helped me understand stocks, bonds, mutual funds, CDs etc. (other than that you might as well read a book on it).

And don't worry, half of white coat investor's articles/posts are confusing as hell to me too (especially when his posts start to number crunch). I realize a part of the learning process is also doing it and trail and error. At this point in time, I just try to get the main message of his posts and then when time comes, try to learn from the process.

Reactions: 1 users
As a person who has done an econ degree, it doesn't help that much with the individual financial stuff. I only had one course that really helped me understand stocks, bonds, mutual funds, CDs etc. (other than that you might as well read a book on it).

And don't worry, half of white coat investor's articles/posts are confusing as hell to me too (especially when his posts start to number crunch). I realize a part of the learning process is also doing it and trail and error. At this point in time, I just try to get the main message of his posts and then when time comes, try to learn from the process.

More motivation for me :) I have heard anecdotes of some physicians coming out of residency with little to no clue on how to invest. They spend beyond their means, and struggle with debt far longer than need be. I wonder how a typical medical student fares when it comes to having common money sense...

Getting a minor at the least in business is invaluable. Having owned a successful practice and seen many fail knowing finances is a must for professionals. Community Colleges are a very cheap and easy way of gaining business/financial knowledge, as a well as attending local chamber of commerce and city business trainings.

Can you get into med school as a psych major? Yes.

Does it give you an advantage if you want to be a psychiatrist eventually? No.

Also, a bachelors or even masters in psychology doesn't provide the ability to become a licensed psychologist. So while it may help provide a foundation for getting into med school or a job in other areas it doesn't do much for a "career in psychology." Lots of managers at walmart and fast food places have BA/BS's in psychology.