Can someone. . .

Discussion in 'Step I' started by GynGuy1983, Jun 21, 2008.

1. GynGuy1983

GynGuy1983 C&A Psychiatry Fellow
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Please explain to me how the average test scores on USMLE Consult are so high? I just took a 50 question test and the average was 66%. Call me crazy, but that seems a little too high. I know that they average the scores on a daily basis, but still, are some people out there getting 85-90% right?

I agree that the questions aren't that hard, but I have a feeling that you American grads are stealing my thunder! :D Can anyone give me some feedback on what my overall average should be to at least pass Step 1?

Thanks in advance.

-GynGuy

2. GynGuy1983

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  3. Doko

Doko holla atcha boy!
    7+ Year Member

sup.

yeah, it's hard to say what a "passing" score is on USMLEConsult. the questions, on average, are easier than Kaplan Q-bank and UWorld. but if you take the Scorrelator, which it seems like they've taken the most difficult questions on the bank to compile, that getting around upper 40% is passing. this seems waaaaaaaaayyyy too low, in my opinion, and some people on SDN think it overshoots your score.

i would take the average scores on Consult with a grain of salt (that's an expression in USA that means don't pay much attention to it :hardy:), and take an NBME to get a real estimation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GynGuy1983

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    1. I'm American, just foreign trained, so why don't you put that in your pipe and smoke it (that's an expression "in USA" that means eat it). :D

2. I took 2 NBME"s already and I plan on taking 1 more before my exam. I was just curious to see how others did when compared to Elsevier.

3. I took the Scorrelator and I scored about 10 points higher than on my NBME, so I know that it's off, I just don't know by how much.

5. ZonaRidicularis

2+ Year Member

z

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #5 ZonaRidicularis, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  6. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I feel like the UC questions are a bit more straight forward than UW ones but that said I find that with the question banks, the percentages often have very little to do with how hard the question is.

For instance, the other day I had a question about red eyes and pot smoking (person comes in with corneal injection, what drug did they do?) 56% of people got it right. In the same block there was a ridiculously hard cardio question that 80% got right... I mean really?

I think for some of the hard questions, people keep guessing till they get it right. If they leave the answer as answered correcly it boost their average and the average correct for that question.

I took the UC scorrelator a few days before I took NBME 3. I actually scored higher on NBME 3 (by a few points).

Hilarious

If you took the scorrelator a while after you took NBME 2 it is possible that you could have gone up 10 points.

7. GynGuy1983

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    ^^^^

I totally agree with you that some people do the tests untimed and just keep clicking around to see what the correct answer is. At this point in my prep, I only do 50 question timed blocks, so that is not an option. The test averages are way too high, yet on the Scorrelator, I saw that the averages per question block were significantly lower (in the mid-50's), which would coincide with our theory. The fact that so many questions are right 80% of the time should either mean that the questions are too easy (which some aren't) or that some people are cheating. They should really change their testing format to decrease the skewed test averages.

I really hope that my Scorrelator score is near my actual USMLE score. Although a 215 may not seem spectacular to you all, but for me, it would be a triumph. I plan on taking Form 4 in the coming week, so I'll keep you posted to see where I stand on that and how I felt it was compared to the UC test.

Instatewaiter, did you by any chance take the real deal yet? If so, can you post any similarities or differences to this bank? I've finished UW and Kaplan and UC was my only other choice (USMLE Rx didn't seem worthwhile) so any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the replies everyone :D Keep them coming!