Can taking more of credits overcome alot of withdrawals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunyplatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to a community college after high school and had no idea what I wanted to do and withdrew a couple semesters and withdrew from a couple more classes. I have 14 w's total but I will have 253 credit hours in completed classes. (more than two bachelors degrees worth of credits). Is this enough to overcome the high number withdrawals on my transcript and would it be worth it to take even more classes pulling A's.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to a community college after high school and had no idea what I wanted to do and withdrew a couple semesters and withdrew from a couple more classes. I have 14 w's total but I will have 253 credit hours in completed classes. (more than two bachelors degrees worth of credits). Is this enough to overcome the high number withdrawals on my transcript and would it be worth it to take even more classes pulling A's.

That solely depends on your GPA, your MCAT score and EC's. PM me and I'll tell you if you don't want it to be public. :)

That is a lot of W's to have on a transcript... but your high number of credit hours may help adcoms realize what your situation was, since I'm sure many of them have seem similar applicants who weren't sure what they wanted to do, decided on medicine, and consequently ended up with a buttload of credits hours.

There's not much you can do about it now, so don't worry. Just do everything you can so that things work in your favor (a great MCAT score, solid ECs, and applying EARLY!). It'll most likely be brought up in the interview, but if you can explain what happened, it might not be a big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ws are better than Fs and Ds, regardless of number, it is better than that many Fs/Ds... If you can retake some of them, it will be fine, if not, I don't think it will be a huge issue...

I was in a similar situation (though only 8 W's). My college path went like this

State school (1 semester)
GPA <1.-0 (left on academic probation)

Community college (~2.5 years on and off)
8 W's, GPA 2.5-3.0

Community college (2 more years with my act together)
GPA ~ 3.8

Private University (3 great years)
GPA 4.0, >160 Credits

Med School Application Process
- Multiple DO and MD acceptances
- One interviewer who chuckled when he looked at my transcript. When I told him I got off to a rough start he said "yah, there's more than a few students in my school who started that way"

As long as there is many years between the W's and now and you have a strong upward trend in your GPA - 4.0 a few semesters with a heavy class load of science classes - you should be able to overcome them. A 30+ MCAT will really help you at DO schools too. Every school will view it differently but apply broadly and you should be ok.

Good luck