Can this grade will affect my acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msohn88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I go to Community College at this moment and will be transferring to either UC D or UCSD as Chemistry major.

So far, I have taken Gen Chem - B and C.
And am taking first semester of Organic Chemistry I failed two tests and have high D at this moment.

She hasn't posted the lab grades - which is about 25 % of our grade, she said that I can make it up to C.

What should I do?
I haven't gotten any A in Chemistry.

I love Chemistry and will be my major.

I only taken Cell and Molecular Biology for Bio field, which I got C on.

Are there any chances for International Students?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I go to Community College at this moment and will be transferring to either UC D or UCSD as Chemistry major.

So far, I have taken Gen Chem - B and C.
And am taking first semester of Organic Chemistry I failed two tests and have high D at this moment.

She hasn't posted the lab grades - which is about 25 % of our grade, she said that I can make it up to C.

What should I do?
I haven't gotten any A in Chemistry.

I love Chemistry and will be my major.

I only taken Cell and Molecular Biology for Bio field, which I got C on.

Are there any chances for International Students?

Thank you.

Research before you post. There is an almost identicle thread on the front page. In short, yes there is still a chance for you. Many people get C's in chemistry and still make it into pharmacy school.

You can still make it up with the final for the class.. and do even better in Organic Chem II (second semester). An upward trend of grades is always good.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is still a chance but u have to work harder. From my experience, community college science classes are a bit easier than UCs and Cal States. Just keep trying

As an international student, you really have a much taller mountain to climb than the rest of us. I have a friend who is an international student and she is applying for Fall 2009. She knows a lot of international students and she told me that international students have the worst odds at getting into these schools. You essentially have to be the cream of the crop or they won't even bother with your application. I'm sure some of us have met international students in PhD programs and know they're all business. Another friend of mine was in a computer science PhD program and he told me that there was this girl from China who practically lived in the computer lab and cranked out papers like there was no tomorrow.

don't give up so easily.

I took gen chem on the quarter system on a state school and struggled to get Bs in the first two quarters. I took the third quarter at a comm. college and aced it even without a curve.

As for org. chem, I took the first quarter and struggled very hard to earn a C. I studied soo much for that class. It was actually the teacher that was a jerk though because I know a lot of other students who struggled.

I ended up working really hard in the second and third ochems and got As. SO it is entirely possible to turnaround a bad grade, especially when the teacher's difficultly varies so much.

I took the first calc. at a state univ. and thought I was going to fail. I cried myself to sleep after scoring a 33/100 on an exam but managed a C because of a nice curve. I took the second calc at comm. college and still got a C, but at least it was not as difficult. I barely studied for it at comm. college.

Good luck!

I'm international student and recently I got in Pharmacy school. Certainly, I have to work hard to get it. I think international students will have much better chance in private school.

I'm international student and recently I got in Pharmacy school. Certainly, I have to work hard to get it. I think international students will have much better chance in private school.

Did you get As in most of the pre-req courses?

Did you get As in most of the pre-req courses?

brah, if you wanna make it to farm school, get used to the idea of getting As in everything

look at the average accepted GPAs in most schools (the ones that take internationals), they can be as low as 3.3 or as high as 3.7 (think I saw one that was 3.8)

anyway you have to be well ahead of the average so you should really have something above a 3.5 to realistically stand a chance as an international, and that's a minimum, to stand a GOOD chance as an international, you should have a 3.8

it's no secret internationals have to work harder and most internationals that I know do work harder and have better grades than average (3.6 - 4.0s)

but another barrier you have is that you're going to a community college which some places may not like because it's considered easier, so you have to do even better than most internationals, cause if there is another guy who is also international and has the exact same stats as you but went to a university, he will be given preference over you

so to summarize, in the situation you are in, if you wanna make it, you'll need As in just about evertyhing, it looks like you'll definiltey need a degree to not only raise your GPA but to show that you've become a better student and also you'll have to do really well on the PCAT, but the PCAT is a good thing for you since it gives you the chance to show that even though you went to a CC you know just as much as everyone else

most internationals I've seen get in just on these forums have a 3.8 and a degree

brah, if you wanna make it to farm school, get used to the idea of getting As in everything

look at the average accepted GPAs in most schools (the ones that take internationals), they can be as low as 3.3 or as high as 3.7 (think I saw one that was 3.8)

anyway you have to be well ahead of the average so you should really have something above a 3.5 to realistically stand a chance as an international, and that's a minimum, to stand a GOOD chance as an international, you should have a 3.8

it's no secret internationals have to work harder and most internationals that I know do work harder and have better grades than average (3.6 - 4.0s)

but another barrier you have is that you're going to a community college which some places may not like because it's considered easier, so you have to do even better than most internationals, cause if there is another guy who is also international and has the exact same stats as you but went to a university, he will be given preference over you

so to summarize, in the situation you are in, if you wanna make it, you'll need As in just about evertyhing, it looks like you'll definiltey need a degree to not only raise your GPA but to show that you've become a better student and also you'll have to do really well on the PCAT, but the PCAT is a good thing for you since it gives you the chance to show that even though you went to a CC you know just as much as everyone else

most internationals I've seen get in just on these forums have a 3.8 and a degree

I will be transferring to either UC Davis or UC San Diego in Fall of 2009.

I haven't taken Calculus, Physics, and Biology.

If I do get all As in that subject, I think I can get my GPA go up.

I will just do my best for next semester.

Haha. Totally not making fun of you but you said Brah. Haha. Sorry, inside joke with my friends. Ditto to everything you said though.

At this point, just try your best.