Can weak LOR's hurt you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I never spoke up in class or went to office hours because I am relatively shy. When I ask for a letter of rec I will undoubtedly try to give the writer some background info about myself, along with my resume and personal statement, but other than that none of my writers really know me. I doubt any of them remember me besides my PI. Does every single applicant get letters of rec from professors who they were best buds with, or is my situation normal?

Members don't see this ad.

Weak LORs CAN hurt you. Take the effort to get a positive answer when you ask the question "Dr X, do you know me well enough to write me a good LOR for my app to med school?"

You're not required to be bowling or fishing buddies with your Profs. try actually going to their office and chatting them up, y;know, the material you're learning about, or maybe, Gawd forbid, their research interests?

I'm worrying about you, Bara.

Reactions: 1 user
Weak LORs CAN hurt you. Take the effort to get a positive answer when you ask the question "Dr X, do you know me well enough to write me a good LOR for my app to med school?"

You're not required to be bowling or fishing buddies with your Profs. try actually going to their office and chatting them up, y;know, the material you're learning about, or maybe, Gawd forbid, their research interests?

Well the answer to that question is a resounding no. I think I'll have two relatively decent letters, one from a professor I might TA for and one from my PI.
I'll probably have to try getting close to my professors this spring semester. Is it possible for me to submit my primary in early June before the letters are sent in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Keep in mind that the file won't be reviewed until complete.

Well the answer to that question is a resounding no. I think I'll have two relatively decent letters, one from a professor I might TA for and one from my PI.
I'll probably have to try getting close to my professors this spring semester. Is it possible for me to submit my primary in early June before the letters are sent in?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Keep in mind that the file won't be reviewed until complete.
Will I receive secondaries before the letters are in though? I'm aiming to be done with all my secondaries before fall. I don't really have that great an understanding of the application timeline, is that realistic if I apply to 30+ schools?

Will I receive secondaries before the letters are in though? I'm aiming to be done with all my secondaries before fall. I don't really have that great an understanding of the application timeline, is that realistic if I apply to 30+ schools?

Receiving secondaries and being complete are two different things! You'll receive secondaries from school but will not be complete and ready to review until your LORS are in.

So if all my letters are in by August I should be fine?

So if all my letters are in by August I should be fine?

If you're complete in August you'll be fine (assuming your stats are adequate enough). I wasn't complete until mid November and thankfully received several II's!

If you're complete in August you'll be fine (assuming your stats are adequate enough). I wasn't complete until mid November and thankfully received several II's!
I want to be complete as early as possible since my GPA will only be 3.5 when I apply. I'm hoping for 517+ MCAT.

I want to be complete as early as possible since my GPA will only be 3.5 when I apply. I'm hoping for 517+ MCAT.

Ahh, I see. MD cycle right? You'd be better off asking someone else. Sorry. I only applied to osteopathic schools!

I got a 2320 on the sat and am pretty good at standardized testing in general but I understand that it's possible that i'll mess up

SAT =/= MCAT. Measure your confidence, and prepare for sub-optimal scenarios rather than banking on a stellar score.

other than that none of my writers really know me. I doubt any of them remember me besides my PI.

Following @mimelim criteria for a good/strong LOR, your writers should be able to vouch for you. If the professors besides your PI don't know who you are, how do you expect them to write good things about your personality, leadership, teamwork, etc.? Iirc, a lackluster letter or a letter that rehashes the PS/CV is a waste of space and can end up hurting you.

Try to spend some time meeting with your professors and really just chat them up and hit it off.

It's better to have letters from PIs, or professors whose classes you TA'd or tutored. They will have much more to say and can talk about you in more ways than just a student