Can white people get into Morehouse, Mercer, Meharry, Howard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaussr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a caucasian very interested in working with the underserved community and have already worked with this community in several ways. Would it be realistic for me to get into these schools as a caucasian out of state?

Members don't see this ad.

All of those schools accept primarily AA's. You'd be wasting the money for apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mercer is not an HBCU but it takes very few/no OOS students. AFAIK Meharry, Howard and Morehouse can't discriminate against you based on race, but you have to fit their mission to get in.

OP, absolutely, if you have a history of service with black communities and your personal statement is convincing, sure, you definitely have a shot. But you need a history.

They do take white students. If you're interested in the schools go ahead and apply, but as mentioned above you'll need a convincing history to realistically have a shot.

Just recently Morehouse had their first ever white valedictorian so why not?
I was trying to find the demographics for morehouse but it took to long for me to search lol...but basically searun and doc yoda's hit it on the head

*...The committee also is interested in the activities of the applicant outside of the classroom, including the nature of extracurricular activities, hobbies, (the need to work), research projects and experiences, evidence of activities that indicate concurrence with the school's mission, and evidence of pursuing interests and talents in depth...
*Morehouse School of Medicine

my brother (white) got into meharry, but he thought it was super ghetto from his interview and went somewhere else.

I am so white...I am practically see through and I got into Morehouse. Mercer wont admit anyone out of state though.
Go for it if that is what you want.

I live right beside Mercer, and it would appear that most of the students are white. In fact, I rarely see anything other than white people there.

Mercer isn't an AA school... lol...

You don't have to go to HBCU to work w/ the underprivileged. Check out any urban medical school. Plenty of underserved

Yes, they can ... but they also can't be privileged and snooty white kids cause they may not be used to all the black people around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just recently Morehouse had their first ever white valedictorian so why not?
I was trying to find the demographics for morehouse but it took to long for me to search lol...but basically searun and doc yoda's hit it on the head

*Morehouse School of Medicine

Here is what one of the wonderfully tolerant students at Moorehouse had to say:

For the most part, Packwood says the experience among his Morehouse brethren has been overwhelmingly good - with the exception of a few negative comments.

"One guy came up to me and told me -- he didn't like the fact that I was here," recalls Packwood. "He absolutely didn't like the fact that I dated black women."

"So I heard him out, and said, 'I appreciate your opinion but don't agree with what you have to say,'...and now we've become, not necessarily close, but very cool," Packwood says.

That student, Vinson Muhammad, says he was curious about the reasons why someone like Packwood would choose to attend an all-black college.

"I don't necessarily support him being here, but because he's here and we can't discriminate against other races, I support him and his mission to be successful in life," says Muhammad, a junior. "I just kind of wish he had done it at a different institution."

But that isn't racist.. no no....

its so disturbing that the guy cares so much. Who cares what race the valedictorian is? I find it weird that he says "we" need to do better, as if african americans are homogeneous (I am not gonna say my race but I am not white. I may be AA, I may not be)

its so disturbing that the guy cares so much. Who cares what race the valedictorian is? I find it weird that he says "we" need to do better, as if african americans are homogeneous (I am not gonna say my race but I am not white. I may be AA, I may not be)

yea that one bit made me roll my eyes so badly. that same kid had an issue with the valedictorian dating black girls. maybe what he meant was that he needs to do better, and become valedictorian and snag a great girl. :laugh:

the rest of the article is much better, though. dr king references and stuff.

I work with a lot of African Americans in a school that is about half AA students. We talk about med school all the time (seeing as it's a medical magnet) and Meharry/Morehouse/Howard come up a lot. My AA friends encouraged me to apply to these schools, even though I'm white, and so I did. I agree with the above poster that was talking about matching their mission.

Yes, they are a minority school, but being white doesn't mean you can't go there. I would hope, if you plan on applying there, that you don't have any problem being around minorities :)

I am a caucasian very interested in working with the underserved community and have already worked with this community in several ways. Would it be realistic for me to get into these schools as a caucasian out of state?

Don't forget that it is entirely possible to work with the underserved community without attending one of those schools. As an example, though it is ranked very low by the recent so-called "Social Mission" score, Boston University's affiliated hospital, BMC, is New England's largest safety net hospital.

It certainly is possible - I'm a caucasian guy and will be starting at Morehouse in less than two weeks. Good luck!

Really cause all of the black friends I have say that the Howard kids are the biggest snooty snobs in the world.

I know this is anecdotal, but a fair share of the people I know that went to schools like Morehouse and Howard for undergrad were your standard pompous pseudo-intellectual type. You'd think these people were Rhodes Scholars by their attitudes.

So? I hope you aren't evaluating a school on whether they have 100% perfect students.

What does a sample of 1 prove?

Are you one of those people who holds any given black person up to be a representative of the entire black race?

I know this is anecdotal, but a fair share of the people I know that went to schools like Morehouse and Howard for undergrad were your standard pompous pseudo-intellectual type. You'd think these people were Rhodes Scholars by their attitudes.

I hope everyone understands that all of this is about the undergrad, not the med school, including the white valedictorian. Yes that is very anecdotal. Trust me, I had 4 years of first-hand experience with the former. Yes, there are people who act snobbish/cocky, but this is an extremely small percentage. The vast majority are as confident as can be without being cocky, but we all know that extreme confidence can be misinterpreted by many as cockiness. It's kinda like, "I don't think I'm better than anyone and I treat everyone equally, but I also know that I am the s***." I don't see anything wrong with this mentality because if you don't have confidence in yourself and your abilities, who will? Side note: Morehouse does produce Rhodes Scholars and if I'm not mistaken, so does Howard. Also, the valedictorian, Josh, graduated a year before me. He was accepted by all at Morehouse except a couple people like the one in the article. He was considered a "brotha" of ours and his skin color meant nothing. That kid was intelligent and willing to learn about this world from a black person's point of view, which people respected. It doesn't help that, if on the phone with him, you would probably think he's black. Lol. So don't let that one student's opinion affect your views of an entire school, because the views of the student body did not reflect his.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So? I hope you aren't evaluating a school on whether they have 100% perfect students.

What does a sample of 1 prove?

Are you one of those people who holds any given black person up to be a representative of the entire black race?

Isn't it ironic that you suggest I am a racist for pointing out racism?

You could have just looked at the MSAR. It shows a breakdown of the class by race. And yes, white people are included.

I hope everyone understands that all of this is about the undergrad, not the med school, including the white valedictorian. Yes that is very anecdotal. Trust me, I had 4 years of first-hand experience with the former. Yes, there are people who act snobbish/cocky, but this is an extremely small percentage. The vast majority are as confident as can be without being cocky, but we all know that extreme confidence can be misinterpreted by many as cockiness. It's kinda like, "I don't think I'm better than anyone and I treat everyone equally, but I also know that I am the s***." I don't see anything wrong with this mentality because if you don't have confidence in yourself and your abilities, who will? Side note: Morehouse does produce Rhodes Scholars and if I'm not mistaken, so does Howard. Also, the valedictorian, Josh, graduated a year before me. He was accepted by all at Morehouse except a couple people like the one in the article. He was considered a "brotha" of ours and his skin color meant nothing. That kid was intelligent and willing to learn about this world from a black person's point of view, which people respected. It doesn't help that, if on the phone with him, you would probably think he's black. Lol. So don't let that one student's opinion affect your views of an entire school, because the views of the student body did not reflect his.

I wouldn't think I was the **** if I attended a school with mediocre admissions standards. That's the thing many who attend these colleges fail to realize, yes the schools have a rich history and are well respected in the african american community. But outside of that, they are quite average by today's standards. I'm sure there are some real gems that have come out of Howard, Morehouse, etc over the past few years, but the vast majority are not exactly mensa material. Yet as you even conceded, it seems that the majority of students there think otherwise.

I really hate derailing threads, so for the OP, yes as others have stated you have a chance of getting into an HBCU medical school.

I wouldn't think I was the **** if I attended a school with mediocre admissions standards. That's the thing many who attend these colleges fail to realize, yes the schools have a rich history and are well respected in the african american community. But outside of that, they are quite average by today's standards. I'm sure there are some real gems that have come out of Howard, Morehouse, etc over the past few years, but the vast majority are not exactly mensa material. Yet as you even conceded, it seems that the majority of students there think otherwise.

I really hate derailing threads, so for the OP, yes as others have stated you have a chance of getting into an HBCU medical school.

You obivously don't know much about Morehouse. It is not commonly known by people outside of the african american community in terms of common people, but in academia it is well known. I believe a few years ago the Wall Street Journal came out with a list of the top feeder schools in the nation (placing students in the top graduate, medical, law, etc. schools) and Morehouse was #29 in the nation. The reason Morehouse's ranking isn't very high on US News is because it accepts students with potential (some with very low gpa and sat/act scores) to become great and turns them into something great by the time they graduate. I had one adcom from Harvard who visited Morehouse numerous times tell me, when they want the top black students in the country, they come to Morehouse/Spelman (all-girls sister school) and, although I can't speak for Howard, I am sure this is probably true for them too. The reason being, Morehouse not only cultivates an atmosphere of strong academics, it also focuses on making well-rounded leaders. The best example Morehouse men follow is Martin Luther King, an alum. They want us to have a great educational background on top of possessing the personal qualities that he had. So, dont be so quick to judge. I don't hold it against you or anything because many people don't know about Morehouse, but now you do. I cannot speak for the medical school though. Also, the article below was written one month ago and Morehouse was named one of the most "grueling" colleges to graduate from and they specifically spoke about the difficult pre-med curriculum.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/12/the-most-grueling-college_n_574120.html

Last edited:
You obivously don't know much about Morehouse. It is not commonly known by people outside of the african american community in terms of common people, but in academia it is well known. I believe a few years ago the Wall Street Journal came out with a list of the top feeder schools in the nation (placing students in the top graduate, medical, law, etc. schools) and Morehouse was #29 in the nation. The reason Morehouse's ranking isn't very high on US News is because it accepts students with potential (some with very low gpa and sat/act scores) to become great and turns them into something great by the time they graduate. I had one adcom from Harvard who visited Morehouse numerous times tell me, when they want the top black students in the country, they come to Morehouse/Spelman (all-girls sister school) and, although I can't speak for Howard, I am sure this is probably true for them too. The reason being, Morehouse not only cultivates an atmosphere of strong academics, it also focuses on making well-rounded leaders. The best example Morehouse men follow is Martin Luther King, an alum. They want us to have a great educational background on top of possessing the personal qualities that he had. So, dont be so quick to judge. I don't hold it against you or anything because many people don't know about Morehouse, but now you do. I cannot speak for the medical school though. Also, the article below was written one month ago and Morehouse was named one of the most "grueling" colleges to graduate from and they specifically spoke about the difficult pre-med curriculum.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/12/the-most-grueling-college_n_574120.html

Those are pretty impressive stats, but I was already aware of most of it. It's pretty well known that alot of top graduate schools look to Morehouse and Howard when searching for great minority applicants. They're the most obvious choice.

For instance, Howard is a second tier law school, meaning it has average admissions standards and mediocre job placement for the most part. Yet it ranks near the top 25 in placement in Big Law firms. When the top law firms visit a select number of schools, they often times will also visit Howard to seek out those good minority applicants. So if you are a Howard law student with good numbers you have a better chance than many other students at a higher ranked schools who don't have top law firms coming in. But if you are that average student, which most are, you are SOL. Like you said, you've met an adcom from Harvard whom has visited the school numerous times. Even your top schools do not have that luxury.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not downing these schools at all and I'm sure they are wonderful. But the fact of the matter is that the majority of students there are not any more brilliant than those at any other school, so they shouldn't act as such. This applies to any school, regardless of any type of ranking.

It's probably not high in USNews because the USNews ranking people care about is the research ranking and the criteria is how much research funding a school has.

Not exactly an overwhelmingly significant qualifier.

Also, being "the ****" or feeling like you are "the ****" comes from more than just how "good" your medical school is. :yawn:

It's probably not high in USNews because the USNews ranking people care about is the research ranking and the criteria is how much research funding a school has.

Not exactly an overwhelmingly significant qualifier.

Also, being "the ****" or feeling like you are "the ****" comes from more than just how "good" your medical school is. :yawn:

I went to the undergrad, not the medical school. The medical school has nothing to do with the undergrad. I only commented on the undergrad because the white valedictorian people were speaking of graduated from the undergrad a year before I did, so I know him personally. The medical school definitely isn't focused on making black leaders of tomorrow, the undergrad is. Lol.

Here is what the huffington post said (in its entirety):

The alma mater of Martin Luther King, Jr., Spike Lee and Samuel L. Jackson is committed to upholding standards of excellence. "Morehouse men" must follow a dress code and choose between 35 areas of study. Courses in pre-med biology are notoriously difficult, and many of the Atlanta college's students opt for pre-law, pre-med or pre-dentistry tracks.

That sounds like something that might be placed in one of their own catalogs...

I'm Rick James, Bitch. Accepted.

Those are pretty impressive stats, but I was already aware of most of it. It's pretty well known that alot of top graduate schools look to Morehouse and Howard when searching for great minority applicants. They're the most obvious choice.

For instance, Howard is a second tier law school, meaning it has average admissions standards and mediocre job placement for the most part. Yet it ranks near the top 25 in placement in Big Law firms. When the top law firms visit a select number of schools, they often times will also visit Howard to seek out those good minority applicants. So if you are a Howard law student with good numbers you have a better chance than many other students at a higher ranked schools who don't have top law firms coming in. But if you are that average student, which most are, you are SOL. Like you said, you've met an adcom from Harvard whom has visited the school numerous times. Even your top schools do not have that luxury.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not downing these schools at all and I'm sure they are wonderful. But the fact of the matter is that the majority of students there are not any more brilliant than those at any other school, so they shouldn't act as such. This applies to any school, regardless of any type of ranking.

I hear you, but there is nothing wrong with having complete confidence in one's abilities. This confidence does not only just stem from being solid academically and well-rounded; Morehouse also focuses on African-American history rather than your typical history classes at most schools. Learning in depth what my ancestors accomplished despite having nowhere near the opportunities present today gives us Morehouse men a strong sense of identity and confidence to know that if they could accomplish great things, so can we. I wouldn't expect you to be able to relate because you cannot relate to this situation. It's not your fault, but for you to say there is something wrong with having confidence in one's self, I think that is ridiculous. Like I said, we don't feel as if we are above anyone, we just know the level of preparation our school instilled in us accompanied by learning in-depth about our ancestors and this gives us complete confidence. For those who cross the line into being cocky, I think that is unacceptable, but like I said, this is a very small minority at Morehouse and every other school in the nation as well. My point is, in terms of undergraduate schools, Morehouse places its students in the top graduate, law, and medical schools in the country and there is nothing wrong with being proud of that as long as it doesn't go to your head.

Here is what the huffington post said (in its entirety):

That sounds like something that might be placed in one of their own catalogs...

Yeah we can speculate all day, but facts are facts. We could also speculate that maybe they had a list of schools and mistakenly chose Morehouse instead of another school they meant to choose, but decided to leave Morehouse in the article in order to not have confusion. Why is it so hard to believe that an undergraduate school you may not know much about is doing amazing things? It made the list; it made the article. Enough said. Trust, going through pre-med at Morehouse kicked my a**...in a good way though.

Last edited:
damn, why they gotta be so racist? :laugh:

in all honesty, no your chances are slim. don't apply there unless you have a demonstrated interest in working within the african american community as a doc.

.... Why is mercer even considered in this? Mercer is NOT an "AA School" (as some here in this thread call black schools it seems). It's definitely a plurality if not majority white. It's out in middle of Macon, Georgia. Been there and hardly saw black people on campus

.... Why is mercer even considered in this? Mercer is NOT an "AA School" (as some here in this thread call black schools it seems). It's definitely a plurality if not majority white. It's out in middle of Macon, Georgia. Been there and hardly saw black people on campus

OP is banned so they won't see your response and this is a 4 year old thread that you are necrobumping. Good info though!

Reactions: 1 user