Can you apply ED to MD while applying RD to DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only saw one post on this in the old threads, and it didn't give a for sure answer. Based on the wording on the AAMC site, it seems you can appy DO as you're waiting on ED for MD. Someone called AAMC, though, and the rep told him you canNOT do this. Considering I know the intelligence level of their reps since I had to deal with them last year, I don't know if I would take that one rep's word as a matter of fact.

Anyone else have any info on this?

AMCAS and the DO one are different companies. How would they even know if you did apply ED through AMCAS and RD through DO before hearing back from the ED MD? I filled out many MD secondaries last year, and I never saw a single question asking you if you applied to both MD and DO schools or anything along those lines.

I just want to get into med school this year, so I want to maximize my chances to their fullest. I haven't gotten my retaken MCAT yet, so I'm just thinking of what I'm going to do if it comes out poorly. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

separte applications I don't know how they would know.

Applying to DO? Don't you want to be a real doctor????

JK!!!!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying to DO? Don't you want to be a real doctor????

JK!!!!:D

hehe, well i'm pretty sure I want to do primary care and going the DO route or Caribbean MD both get you there like US MD does. general IM residency isn't tooo competitive, sooo I should be okay no matter which route I take haha. of course, I'd prefer US MD. it really comes down to how my MCAT comes out next month. it really should be in the mid-30s, but I don't know...my practice score average was in the mid-30s but you still never know. after I took my test last week, I predicted 28-36. hehe, soooo yeaaa, it could really turn out to be any score. :laugh:

anyone else know anything about the ACTUAL topic at hand? haha

The answer is yes. They are completely different, and are in no way binding with each other.

On an other note, most that are accepted to ED's are people who are as qualified or more than most of the other applicants accepted in that cycle for that particular school.... Unless you have a really great story for absolutely having to be there (which if you apply DO I figure is not the case) you have just as good of a shot applying with the regular crowd, which you should do. This way if you are interested in more than that 1 MD school, you won't be applying late to the others b/c you had to wait on a decision from that 1 program.