Can you be bad at biology?

stgermaine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of people say that you really can't be bad a biology because there aren't that many concepts, just things to memorize. I'm really bad a memorizing, and I don't seem to get a lot of the stuff. The stuff just doesn't enter my head, and if I do manage to memorize it, I don't understand it. It's like knowing that the derivative of f(x) = x^2 is f'(x) =2x but you aren't sure why it works that way.

Am I just bad at biology or do I need to try harder?

Members don't see this ad.

The reason biology has a reputation as a 'soft science' is virtually the same as you listed. There is a lot of new terminology, and some conceptual things, (Krebs Cycle, electron transport chain, etc.), but almost no math, and very little problem solving. It is possible (and easy) to fail ANY science course if you don't study and apply yourself.

As far as your difficulty in memorizing goes, that is common. I like to read passages several times, jotting down notes and key concepts, reviewing several times a day. My friends all use different methods to memorize key materials. Some write and rewrite their notes ten plus times to cement important or confusing information in their minds. Bottom line, there is nothing 'wrong' with your memory. You learn in a differnt way. Find (I can't stress this enough) what works for YOU.

TL;DR: It is normal to learn differently. Work out a study method for yourself, review old work to see what your teacher likes to see/what he tests over.

Members don't see this ad :)
After a few bio classes beyond intro bio the material becomes 2nd nature to you or at least it does for me as a neuroscience major. Lol every class I take is so redundant. It's badass though, i barely have to study, but hey at least i keep hearing the same info so I'll retain it better. :thumbup:

Depends on why you're bad at Biology, if it is because you're not interested in it then you need to look elsewhere. If it is because you can't memorize then you'll learn how to memorize.