Can you be verbally offered an internship and then rejected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desklamp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has this ever happened to anyone? I was offered an internship on the phone a couple weeks ago and then told that they would get back to me via email regarding the details.

Haven't heard from them since even after I emailed them to follow up (though I am not sure how often a store would check their emails).

Would it look too "clingy" if I called them as well? I realize that they are probably busy, but am also worried now that, since I did not get anything in writing, they might have just decided "no sorry, we decided to hire someone else" or they lost my contact info or something... :(. I suppose there is nothing binding in a verbal conversation. School starts in a few weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I was offered an internship on the phone a couple weeks ago and then told that they would get back to me via email regarding the details.

Haven't heard from them since even after I emailed them to follow up (though I am not sure how often a store would check their emails).

Would it look too "clingy" if I called them as well? I realize that they are probably busy, but am also worried now that, since I did not get anything in writing, they might have just decided "no sorry, we decided to hire someone else" or they lost my contact info or something... :(. I suppose there is nothing binding in a verbal conversation. School starts in a few weeks.

Call them. You need to be confident in this. If they said "yes" then hold them to it. Timidity is not your ally.

Contact them again. Say something like "i would like to follow up on the position." If it's not on paper, then it's not official!

Members don't see this ad :)
At the end of the summer I was told by the Pharmacy Intern Coordinator of a big chain store that I got an internship at one of his store. I got interviewed by the Pharmacy Manager. During the interview, she told me that it was just a formality that she interviewed. At the end of the interviewed she said that all she had to do was to inform to the store manager and I could start soon. I went home and waited for her to call back. A few weeks later she called me saying that she had no hour to offer so SORRY.

Then I got called from another major chain store. Interviewed with the Pharmacy Intern coordinator and the Pharmacy Supervisor. Again I was told that I will start training, doing modules and having one-on-one training sessions..etc...Again 2 weeks later I was emailed saying that they have no hours at any store to offer. so again SORRY.

Don't these pharmacies know what they can offer before they interview?

Anyways just sharing my story so that you could be prepared because something like "SORRY WE HAVE NO HOURS TO OFFER" could happen. But I hope it doesn't happen to you. Good luck.

At the end of the summer I was told by the Pharmacy Intern Coordinator of a big chain store that I got an internship at one of his store. I got interviewed by the Pharmacy Manager. During the interview, she told me that it was just a formality that she interviewed. At the end of the interviewed she said that all she had to do was to inform to the store manager and I could start soon. I went home and waited for her to call back. A few weeks later she called me saying that she had no hour to offer so SORRY.

Then I got called from another major chain store. Interviewed with the Pharmacy Intern coordinator and the Pharmacy Supervisor. Again I was told that I will start training, doing modules and having one-on-one training sessions..etc...Again 2 weeks later I was emailed saying that they have no hours at any store to offer. so again SORRY.

Ive ran into a little of the same thing while looking for intern positions as well, although the DPM's and SM's have been more upfront with me saying, with school starting and schedules changing we may or may not have hours.

I suppose there is nothing binding in a verbal conversation.

You hit the nail on the head, my friend. Best to follow up with them- they did make a verbal offer, after all.

It's not clingy to follow up on a verbal offer. If you don't, someone else might swoop in and take the spot.

"If it is not in writing, it is not done". A piece of paper has some power!

As a general rule, if it is not in contract it is a rumor.

When I get my offer for internship Im damn well sure to get a contract long before I begin working.