can you help me with wording this secondary (pritzker: what makes research good)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

I have all the content for this question, I just suspect someone else reading this is going to be confused by my answer. I'm particularly considered about the part marked b/w **'s.
This is a question from pritzker's (Univ of Chicago) secondary.. aka.. they want to be told research is good. they want to here all MDs should do research (or at least will benefit from it)... i suppose i agree (ok, i agree will benefit, but i don't think all MDs should do research, but that's outside the point of this essay).

So, here's my the secondary:
Q: If you have been involved in research, what did you learn that makes this type of experience worth recommending to others?

A:
My extensive research experience convinced me research is valuable for anyone in any theoretical or applied field.
Through research, one can make a permanent contribution to growth of science or medical treatments. For example, my current research on nicotinic receptors will eventually lead to developing of therapeutics treating nicotine addiction. This will help more patients in the future than I could possibly treat as a physician. **Additionally, I feel proud that my individual efforts are important for larger lasting achievements, such as a paper outlining a discovery.**
Active participation in research taught me much more than the latest fascinating discoveries. I realize that journal articles are not immutable laws of nature, but rather data that is always open to either confirmation or new interpretations. Thus, it is important to carefully analyze and question other?s work before applying it to ones own situation, especially to patient treatment where each patient is unique and the risks are high. Most importantly, doing research makes me practice critically thinking about and applying science, rather then just memorizing biological facts. Being able to critically think about the knowledge one acquires can be extremely useful for applying it appropriately to many situations.
**However, I personally consider the most rewarding aspect of research to be the intellectual challenge and creativity involved with interpreting data in context of theories or designing experiments. For instance, my research at Washington University was particularly enjoyable, as I pioneered and debugged a method for measuring extremely small cellular forces. **

-----
for the first set of **, I am trying to say I like research because it's permanent. what you do in research lasts forever. UNlike when you treat a patient (unless you do something drastic for that patient) it is forgotten about within a week to maybe 5 years.... I ABSOLUTELY do NOT want to put down clinical medicine in ANY manner in this essay though... that's why I didn' t mention clinical medicine was not permanent. but, i don't think it's coming across with what i wrote. somehow i think someone else will read it and ask "what am i trying to say?"

for the second set of **, the last paragraph: I don't what to say to explain WHY/HOW creativity/intellectual challenge/thinking is enjoyable.. it just is. I don't know if i can (briefly) explain why it was essential in my reasearch at WashU either... I mean, it's a new technique your designing... and it was heavily based on theoretical physics pprinciples (erm, nothing more then newton's laws and intro physics). Does that paragraph seem complete to you?

Thank you,
Sonya

Members don't see this ad.

Sonya,

Overall your response seems to lack unity. In addition, one of your statements may well kill your application since you downplay the role of the physician over the scientist (line 4). Also, there is a lack of coherence in what you're trying to say about contributing to the scientific body of knowledge through publications. If you read your first two lines and build off of those ideas you will be able to make a much more coherent response. Hope this helps.

hey, thanks.

so many profs have told me they consider research to be much larger contribution to helping people, that i assumed it was generally accepted. but, i'll play it conservative and not make that so strong.

anyway, i'm moving this thing to pre-allo forum....

(BTW, moderators is there anyway poster can move their post besides copying it over?)

Sonya

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,

thanks neuronix. I posted it in pre allo already:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77888

yeah, if you could give suggestions that would be good... whether it is to say this is wonderful or total trash, i'll be glad to hear it.

Oh yeah, my AIM got uninstalled here
(work), and i don't usually bother to use it at home (slow connection)... so, i probably wont be on.

sonya