Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Can You Hold a DO and MD acceptance after May 15th?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by premed101101, 05.21.14.

  1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. premed101101

    premed101101

    Joined:
    05.21.14
    Messages:
    7
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Hey guys and girls,

    As the title says, I am wondering if it is possible to simultaneously hold both an MD and DO acceptance after May 15th?

    My situation is this-

    I was accepted to a DO school early in the application cycle, and was accepted to an MD school yesterday (May 20th) off the waitlist. The DO school is offering me a very generous scholarship and is also located in-state. However, I want to see what my cost will be at the MD school after I receive my financial aid package (which I was told would take about 2-3 weeks by the MD school itself).

    I am not trying to start another DO vs MD debate here, but am just wondering what the policy/rules are on holding both an MD/DO acceptance? Do the schools know that I am holding an acceptance at another school? If so, is this looked down upon? Could it result in any consequence? Is there a specific/exact time frame that I have to withdraw from the schools by? Should I contact both schools?

    I tried searching but could only find information on holding either 2 MD acceptances or 2 DO acceptances. I

    Thank you all very much!!
     
    Last edited: 05.21.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DoctorWhoo

    DoctorWhoo 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    08.07.12
    Messages:
    306
    Status:
    Medical Student
    If this was July, I'd say it is unethical to hold on to both acceptances... but this is May, and you don't have all the information you need to make a well thought out decision, so I think you are fine holding the acceptances for the time being. Should you drop mid-June, I don't think either school will have a hard time finding a replacement for your spot.

    As far as the by-the-book rules, I am not certain... but you can't be expected to make a decision without all the information you need in front of you.
     
    Strudel19 likes this.
  4. premed101101

    premed101101

    Joined:
    05.21.14
    Messages:
    7
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Doctorwhoo,

    I greatly appreciate the quick response. I am willing to drop one acceptance literally the day I find out about the financial aid information for the MD school itself.

    I definitely feel that we are on the same page about dropping an acceptance ASAP. However, I am trying to gain some insight if there are any specific rules/guidelines in place because I don't want to inadvertently be in violation and perhaps have an acceptance taken away from me by either school or something like that while I wait to get all the information I need to make the decision.
     
  5. tiedyeddog

    tiedyeddog 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    03.17.08
    Messages:
    7,929
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    I believe you can hold both. This late in the game you shouldn't need to, however. Drop one.
     
  6. alt12345

    alt12345 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    04.01.14
    Messages:
    182
    I also believe you can hold both. I know that MD schools only know about other MD schools.

    I would contact both, alert them of the other acceptance, and tell them you would like to decide after your financial info is available. I think they would be ok with that.
     
  7. Chillbo Baggins

    Chillbo Baggins HEYYEYAAEYAAAEY 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    05.24.13
    Messages:
    6,694
    Location:
    Castle Greyskull
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Someone only read the title. ;)
     
  8. Ismet

    Ismet PGY-fun SDN Administrator 5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    05.15.11
    Messages:
    9,161
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    I don't know for sure about holding both MD and DO acceptance after May 15, but my understanding is that if you are holding multiple acceptances, the schools in question will contact you and alert you that you have X amount of time to withdraw from schools before your acceptance is rescinded. They're not just going to email you one day and tell you it's rescinded, there will be warning. Just wait for the financial aid decision and make your choice soon after.
     
  9. premed101101

    premed101101

    Joined:
    05.21.14
    Messages:
    7
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    This is definitely the plan I am leaning towards and likely what I will end up doing. It's really reassuring to know that others think/feel the same way I do about this situation.

    Thanks again for the response. I definitely agree as to this is what I think will happen (and this is actually what I hope will happen).





    It would also be awesome if any school admins/moderators/those with med school admission experience could comment on this situation as well.
     
  10. gonnif

    gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    07.26.09
    Messages:
    9,362
    Location:
    The Big Bad Apple
    Status:
    Non-Student
    The AAMC National Acceptance report only holds data for US-Canadian MD programs. They do not note DO schools which falls under AACOM
     
  11. jm192

    jm192 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    08.04.09
    Messages:
    1,370
    Location:
    Never Neverland
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I mean, what are they going to do?

    Until a school says they need a decision or are pulling the seat/offer, you're fine.

    And you SHOULD wait until you have all of the info.
     
  12. premed101101

    premed101101

    Joined:
    05.21.14
    Messages:
    7
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I definitely agree, but my concern is exactly what you stated- I don't want to be in a situation in which the seat/offer is pulled from me and I can't do anything about it. But as some other posters have stated, I feel like the school(s) would notify me before doing so (like give me a warning or something).
     
  13. gonnif

    gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    07.26.09
    Messages:
    9,362
    Location:
    The Big Bad Apple
    Status:
    Non-Student
    technically by traffic rules at that point they dont have to inform you that are pulling a seat, they could simply inform you that the acceptance has been withdrawn . Over and out with no recourse. The traffic rules state only medical school or program which could be used for DO. Additionally virtually every school has an "ethical violation" clause in the acceptance agreement or policy.

    I dont think I have ever come heard of a case of this happening
     
    Last edited: 05.21.14
  14. EMDO2018

    EMDO2018 Banned Banned

    Joined:
    10.08.13
    Messages:
    1,917
    Location:
    I don't know
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Most DO deposits are 1000-2000 dollars, that's a lot of money to not get refunded.
     
  15. jm192

    jm192 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    08.04.09
    Messages:
    1,370
    Location:
    Never Neverland
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Well sure.

    I can't imagine that they would pull the offer without warning you beforehand.
    There are all different means of scholarships, but that they would offer you one at least hints that you're a strong candidate that they want.

    If it makes you feel better, e-mail them asking if there is a deadline by which you need to make a move, and explain your situation. Some people fret over the whole "making them feel like the backup plan," but I think any sensible human understands you want to know all of your options (especially since it involves potentially large sums of $$).

    Med School admissions aren't these evil people that are looking to screw you over or keep you out.

    Being done with it all, I'd tell you to quit being neurotic and let it play itself out.
    4 years ago, I probably would have sent the e-mail.
     
  16. kami333

    kami333 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    08.15.07
    Messages:
    1,455
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Medical Student
    No problems holding both. I know someone who did until the first school started (early July) then withdrew from the other school (which didn't start until late Aug).

    You have to do what's right for you. It's not our fault they came up with this dual system that doesn't talk to each other. It only gets worse for residency unless they get the merger business settled properly.
     
  17. premed101101

    premed101101

    Joined:
    05.21.14
    Messages:
    7
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I don't entirely understand your post. So are you suggesting that the traffic rules do or do not apply to D.O. schools as well?

    Thanks for the honest insight. So your suggesting that I just hang on to both, continue waiting until I have the complete financial information for both schools, and then notify either school I will withdraw ASAP?

    I definitely agree. Would you mind sharing if this person you are referring to did so for 1 M.D. and 1 D.O. school specifically (in the identical way I am)?
     
  18. Member 0922

    Member 0922

    Joined:
    09.29.13
    Messages:
    150
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    AAMC and AACOM are two separate entities that don't inform each other of acceptances, waitlists, etc. One won't even know that you have an acceptance at the other and vice-versa. Keep your acceptance until you hear back from financial aid.
     
  19. premed101101

    premed101101

    Joined:
    05.21.14
    Messages:
    7
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the quick response. Just wondering where you got this information from?
     
  20. Member 0922

    Member 0922

    Joined:
    09.29.13
    Messages:
    150
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    I understand why you'd want a source, but I don't have one because it's just general knowledge. I've seen it on these forums before more than once. Plus, they are two different application services. They don't cross-talk in regards to anything application related. They don't have the capability to disclose stuff like that unless directors of admission were buddies and just called each other up or something, which is super unlikely. I was holding a DO & MD acceptance and hadn't gotten financial aid for either and I would've held both until I got that info if it would've made a difference in my decision... But it was an easy decision for me so I dropped my DO acceptance even before finding out how much financial aid I was getting because it wouldn't have changed my mind.

    But IF it would've made a difference to me I would've held both until I got the info I wanted.
     
  21. kami333

    kami333 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    08.15.07
    Messages:
    1,455
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Yes


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
  22. gonnif

    gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    07.26.09
    Messages:
    9,362
    Location:
    The Big Bad Apple
    Status:
    Non-Student
    What I am saying the traffic rules/policies that MD/AAMC schools adhere are written in a manner that they can be applied by an MD school to a student who concurrently hold acceptances to both MD and DO schools. If I were go back to the committee history that developed these rules and knowing that in about 2000 to say 2006 or so there was an attempted project to "merge" all MD, DO, and DPM schools under one umbrella organization (which ultimately led to MD/DO residencies being merged) that a policy like that would make sense. If for some reason, such as egregious breach of some ethical issue concerning holding both an MD and DO acceptance, an MD school could simply inform the applicant acceptance has been withdrawn.

    However the MD schools receive from their umbrella organization AAMC both the Multiple Acceptance Report (starting in February) and the National Acceptance Report (starting in April) to see which students has been offered and then accepted a spot.

    The DO schools under their umbrella organization, AACOM, would not have access to that MD/AAMC info. And conversely, the MD schools would not have access to DO/AACOM data.
     
    Last edited: 05.21.14
  23. tiedyeddog

    tiedyeddog 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    03.17.08
    Messages:
    7,929
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Yep.
     
    Chillbo Baggins likes this.

About the ads

Share This Page