Can you really depend on using only Dr. Collins for a high score on the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAtoPharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased Dr. Collins and have been studying from it in preparation for the PCAT, which I'm scheduled to take on Feb. 11th. The material seems easy enough to understand, but the Biology section (which I just finished reading) seems very brief and passive in its coverage of concepts/topics. Many of the questions in the practice tests also seem overly simplistic; many of them are repeated test-after-test as well.

So having said all that, my question is, can I really depend on studying *only* Dr. Collins to earn a competitive score on the PCAT, or should I supplement my studying with another source, like Kaplan or Princeton Review?

Members don't see this ad.

bump! that ls what Im doing for I dont have time for other resourses. Taking my chances there!

bump! that ls what Im doing for I dont have time for other resourses. Taking my chances there!
By the studying with Collins improved my scores in Pearson Practice exams from like 60 to 85 so I guess Collins isnot that bad!

Only studied Collins got a 96. If you're not studying with Collins for the PCAT you're only handicapping yourself. Yes, the bio questions are that simple on the exam as well. Only thing that will throw you off, are the reading passages. You literally could see 5-10 questions from Collins word for word on the actual PCAT for every given section, minus reading comprehension. Reading comprehension is hell.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Only studied Collins got a 96. If you're not studying with Collins for the PCAT you're only handicapping yourself. Yes, the bio questions are that simple on the exam as well. Only thing that will throw you off, are the reading passages. You literally could see 5-10 questions from Collins word for word on the actual PCAT for every given section, minus reading comprehension. Reading comprehension is hell.

Thanks for the heads-up. Have you taken the GRE? If so, do you think the reading comprehension section on the PCAT is worse than the RC section on the GRE? I tend to do pretty well with RC tests, but this one may be an exception...

I only used Dr. Collins too, and got a 94 composite. There are definitely questions from collins that are word for word in the exam, like CV621 said. As for reading comprehension, I didn't study that portion at all, but it was pretty tough, and my lowest score by far. However, for Bio/chem it is definitely worth picking up

I only used Dr. Collins too, and got a 94 composite. There are definitely questions from collins that are word for word in the exam, like CV621 said. As for reading comprehension, I didn't study that portion at all, but it was pretty tough, and my lowest score by far. However, for Bio/chem it is definitely worth picking up

I'm kind of apprehensive about the Reading Comp. section after hearing so many other test-takers talk about how hard it is. Can I ask what makes it so hard? Are the questions more difficult than the Reading Comp. questions on other standardized exams, such as the GRE?

Also, can I ask you what you made on each individual section, if you don't mind sharing?

Im making around 15 mistakes in Dr C reading( I learned English only like 5 years ago), so I gave up on this section all together.

I'm kind of apprehensive about the Reading Comp. section after hearing so many other test-takers talk about how hard it is. Can I ask what makes it so hard? Are the questions more difficult than the Reading Comp. questions on other standardized exams, such as the GRE?

Also, can I ask you what you made on each individual section, if you don't mind sharing?
The questions for reading comp aren't meant to trick you. They are straight forward, ie: What is the authors opinion on.../ how does he/she feel about.... stuff like that. Now the reading is VERY dense, it is on par with scientific journal writing dense.

preparing to get like 20 in reading comprehension for myself :-(

I just finished the organic chemistry section last night and still have to read read the last few pages of biochemistry. To make matters worse, I've only gone through one chemistry test. I'm hoping to get through at least 5 or 6 tonight. I guess I better plan on doing really well on verbal and RC tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 users
I just finished the organic chemistry section last night and still have to read read the last few pages of biochemistry. To make matters worse, I've only gone through one chemistry test. I'm hoping to get through at least 5 or 6 tonight. I guess I better plan on doing really well on verbal and RC tomorrow!
good luck tomorrow!

Just finished my pcat and here are my preluminary scores:
verbal 52
bio 99
reading 34-not bad considering that Im only learning English for like 5 years
math 82 - so proud! I was scoring low in Dr Collins practice exams
chem 99
Composite 92(!)
People study Dr Collins!
Im going to selebrate by studying for my upcoming orgo test tomorrow! Yay!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my pcat and here are my preluminary scores:
verbal 52
bio 99
reading 34-not bad considering that Im only learning English for like 5 years
math 82 - so proud! I was scoring low in Dr Collins practice exams
chem 99
Composite 92(!)
People study Dr Collins!
Im going to selebrate by studying for my upcoming orgo test tomorrow! Yay!!!!

Congrats!!!! Hard work paid off! Good for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I also took the PCAT earlier today. I did really well on Bio, RC, and Verbal (90-99th percentile in all three), but I bombed the Chemistry and Quant sections. I made a 3% on Chem and a 6% (!!!) on Quant. My composite score was 84%, but honestly, I think I'll have a very hard time getting interview offers with those two really low scores. :(

How comparable was QA on the PCAT to dr collins

I haven't taken a math class in over 5 years, and I didn't really study for the math section, so I had no idea of how to solve most of the problems on the PCAT. However, I can at least say that the problems I had on the PCAT looked pretty similar to the ones in the Dr. Collins study guide.

I haven't taken a math class in over 5 years, and I didn't really study for the math section, so I had no idea of how to solve most of the problems on the PCAT. However, I can at least say that the problems I had on the PCAT looked pretty similar to the ones in the Dr. Collins study guide.
Yes some of them were similar to Dr Collins! The most important part is to attempt them all. I finished in 3 min to spare, but I can tell that I guessed on a good part of them

Hey Congratulations Bro. Go to a state university than out of state. You astounded me. You shouldn't go st.johns cause yr high pcat score prove your worth elsewhere.
1. expensive
2. private school lack resources. =$- they have to budget.
3. state pharm school=state funded. So school no worry $
4. U'll find more elitist like u, same mind frame. mental caliber. I find private school stud kinda dumber.
5. Im from nyc, and nyc isn't great state learn and live. Too cold. plus NYC is too racially mixed . meaning other states with more white people have better life standards. I saw this in flushing queens when I visited nyc after a year in florida.
hmmm

Haven't taken a class in 3 years. Haven't taken math in over 6 years. Studied consistently for about 2 months using ONLY Dr. Collins. Got a composite score of 97. It is most certainly possible.

I initially though Dr. Collins was a scam based off so many people praising it, with not one negative review. But after getting a 38 twice in a row, I honestly might consider buying it if i'm not accepted this cycle. Is it really that much of a game changer in terms of study material? It seems like anyone who used it automatically scored >75% composite.

I initially though Dr. Collins was a scam based off so many people praising it, with not one negative review. But after getting a 38 twice in a row, I honestly might consider buying it if i'm not accepted this cycle. Is it really that much of a game changer in terms of study material? It seems like anyone who used it automatically scored >75% composite.
I scored 92 composite with Collins and Pearson practice tests. However I have 4.0 science gpa and dedicated a full month 4-5 sometimes 8 hours of daily study.It is possible but you have to be willing to work very hard. I went through his practice exams twice,some of them 3 times!:)

Man you guys are getting good results. Okay give me some thoughts on this. So i just started studying the pcat for july 2016 test. I started in early Feb with pearson practice test and find the biology very easy (84% first time with no study) and the chem to be fairly reasonable(82% first time). QA took alot of time. My weakest in QA is basically statistic word problems. Okay(75%). And my reading is around 70-75% . these are all first attempt results from pearsons 4 practice test practice composite is 80%-99%. So i decided to get collin. I been scoring 35-45/48 for biology and 33-36/50 chem and 38/50 for quant. Havent practice rc for collin since i heard collin is useless for rc. I always tend to get 5-10 wrong answers. Consistently....iam nervous that how iam performing now might not be enough. Any suggestion can help me much on this. Btw i find the collin much harder in chem and bio compare to pearson and Quant seems easier in collin than pearson

Man you guys are getting good results. Okay give me some thoughts on this. So i just started studying the pcat for july 2016 test. I started in early Feb with pearson practice test and find the biology very easy (84% first time with no study) and the chem to be fairly reasonable(82% first time). QA took alot of time. My weakest in QA is basically statistic word problems. Okay(75%). And my reading is around 70-75% . these are all first attempt results from pearsons 4 practice test practice composite is 80%-99%. So i decided to get collin. I been scoring 35-45/48 for biology and 33-36/50 chem and 38/50 for quant. Havent practice rc for collin since i heard collin is useless for rc. I always tend to get 5-10 wrong answers. Consistently....iam nervous that how iam performing now might not be enough. Any suggestion can help me much on this. Btw i find the collin much harder in chem and bio compare to pearson and Quant seems easier in collin than pearson
I didn't use the Pearson practice tests, but everyone I know who did says that it's as close as you can get to the real thing. I say just consistently study and work through all of your Dr. Collins materials and then continue to use the Pearson practice tests to measure yourself. You should be well prepared by July if you just stick with it!

I didn't use the Pearson practice tests, but everyone I know who did says that it's as close as you can get to the real thing. I say just consistently study and work through all of your Dr. Collins materials and then continue to use the Pearson practice tests to measure yourself. You should be well prepared by July if you just stick with it!
Thanks!. If it is same difficulty and format to the pearson practice then it should be fairly doable. I am on a mission to 99% everything if I can.

try to memorize questions and answer from collins! You could get same questions!;-)
Yes. I will try to. I got collin first week and I finished all bio practice test already and half the chemistry test and half thr quant already. The quant use up the most time.

dont kill yourself, you still have plenty of time :) The reason Im saying that that I when I was studying I started very intence(like 10hours/daily). After couple weeks I couldnt see Dr Collins anymore, got so tired of it.. Gosh Im so glad that pcat is over :)

Yeah. I went on a over kill mode. Because I keep having doubts about my knowledge of the materials. Right now i revert back to studying the problems that i get wrong and study off from it. I use to do 3-7 practice test a day and not get tire because I want to do good really badly. Lets hope that when the day comes by in july everything is 2nd nature.

Just super dry and some of the vocab they used was out there. I took the PCATS twice, first time around read comp was easy and the second time around it was super hard, maybe its because I skipped on the break and my second time was a morning test instead of an afternoon test. But man the passages I got the second time were really bland and the questions were vague.

I'll be also doing my pcat in July 2016 for the first time using Dr Collins as well!
Do you guys recommend using a 2016 Dr Collins used? I need some tips because I don't know how I'll do and if I end up redoing it in September or November I can't purchase any of the updates, do you guys have any clue if updates are really that important ?

I'll be also doing my pcat in July 2016 for the first time using Dr Collins as well!
Do you guys recommend using a 2016 Dr Collins used? I need some tips because I don't know how I'll do and if I end up redoing it in September or November I can't purchase any of the updates, do you guys have any clue if updates are really that important ?
Update are no verbal. So toss the verbal section away. Be cautious as the update pcat does use alot more critical thinking skills type problem now for bio and chem. So collin won't be enough. I am lucky that my learning style involves critically thinking. Because I can't remember **** for no reason. I need a reason to remember. Before you have 2 passage experiemental with 8 total questions. Bio now have 4 passage total around 16 questions. Study off pearson practice is a must. Alot changed. Math is like almost half is word problems. Not hard but use alot of time for sure.