Can you request to move interview date before you get invited for one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rak173

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure you can but the thing is I will going out for 2 months to another country and will not be able to use internet or phones. So is it possible to let the school know that I will be gone for these 2 months and not able to accept interview and request them to schedule interview after I return? Does it depend on school?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

just wait until you are invited for interview.

you can schedule the interview for 1-3 months in advance or you can email the school to work something out.

not all schools will invite you for interview and writing this email wont do anything since you are not officially on the interview list yet.

just wait until you are invited for interview.

you can schedule the interview for 1-3 months in advance or you can email the school to work something out.

not all schools will invite you for interview and writing this email wont do anything since you are not officially on the interview list yet.

I think OP is saying that he may not find out he has been invited and they may give the spot to someone else. I don't have experience with dental schools, but with medical schools you can give in the area updates to let schools know that you will be in their city for something else if they have interest in interviewing you. I don't see why you couldn't email them to tell them you will be out of the area. How it looks to them that you scheduled two months out of town in the middle of interview season, I don't know.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
the thing is that you shouldn't be out of town during the interview season.

well, you should always get the earliest possible interview date, hence, again, you shouldn't be out during interview season and need to sit and wait in front of the computer (kind of extreme but accurately true)

I'd delay your trip imo.

I would reschedule your trip. It's one thing to be gone for a few weeks during interview season, but I would not be away for 2 months.

The schools I am applying is accepting applications till Feb 2017 and the interview process continues until April. The interview process starts in late November/December. I am planning my trip in December and January. My concern is if I get an invitation and I am not able to reply back to the school in time then my application might be abandoned. I guess I will email the schools to see what they have to say about this.

The schools I am applying is accepting applications till Feb 2017 and the interview process continues until April. The interview process starts in late November/December. I am planning my trip in December and January. My concern is if I get an invitation and I am not able to reply back to the school in time then my application might be abandoned. I guess I will email the schools to see what they have to say about this.
You have about a week to reply after receiving an interview invitation. They're most likely going to tell you that if you don't reply then you're out of luck. Schools have tons of applicants/seat and won't care. Like others have said it's not the best idea to be gone for 2 months during interview season.

Maybe you could ask a parent or other trusted person to check you emails for you while you're gone, and if you get invites they could either schedule an interview for when you get back or contact the school on your behalf

Maybe you could ask a parent or other trusted person to check you emails for you while you're gone, and if you get invites they could either schedule an interview for when you get back or contact the school on your behalf

Thanks. I could do that but what if the school refuses to move the date back? I am thinking about setting up an automatic reply saying that I am out of country and I will be back on this date but I am not sure if that would work or not.

Thanks. I could do that but what if the school refuses to move the date back? I am thinking about setting up an automatic reply saying that I am out of country and I will be back on this date but I am not sure if that would work or not.
If the school refuses to change the date, then you either fly back to the country or don't interview there.

I would not set up an automatic email. Family member or friend is the best option. Surely you must be able to find Internet or phone service somewhere?

If you can't get internet while you're gone, have someone reply back for you -- explaining that you're in another country doing ___ and ask for an interview in February. This is preferable to an automated e-mail or contacting beforehand imo.

If you can't get internet while you're gone, have someone reply back for you -- explaining that you're in another country doing ___ and ask for an interview in February. This is preferable to an automated e-mail or contacting beforehand imo.

I emailed one the school and they said they are willing to move the interview back when I come back.

I wouldn't be gone for 2 months unless it was absolutely necessary for you to be out of the country.