Army Can you switch from Army Reserves to HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNAP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a female who is planning on enlisting in the Army Reserves as a 15U Helicopter Repairer. I was told by my recruiter that I can remain in the Army Reserves for 1+ years while I apply to med school (and HPSP), then if accepted, I can transition from the Army Reserves to the HPSP scholarship and at that point AMEDD will write up a new contract. Can someone shed some light on this? Is this possible? My career goal is to be a physician so I just want to see if anyone has switched from Army Reserves to HPSP and can elaborate on the process. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably will work fine but how much a chance are you willing to take on something going wrong? The military can decide not to release you to HPSP, they can decide to deploy you in the middle of your school or application process, they can make you drill when you should be studying for exams, etc. Seems like a lot of potential complications to open yourself up to for relatively little benefit. Sounds like a terrible plan for anyone whose priority is becoming a physician.

I'd like to become a physician, however, if I don't get into med school I'd have a career as a 15U to fall back on. Either way, I plan on serving 20 yrs in the Army and retiring. By the time I get into med school I will have probably served 2-4 yrs as a reservist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to become a physician, however, if I don't get into med school I'd have a career as a 15U to fall back on. Either way, I plan on serving 20 yrs in the Army and retiring. By the time I get into med school I will have probably served 2-4 yrs as a reservist.
Where are you at in your college career? 2-4 years is a pretty vague number, which makes me think you're much more in the aspirational phase than actual planning.

If you join the Reserve, just be prepared with the idea that you may need to finish your six year hitch before medical school. If you're good with that, go ahead and join. If you're not, don't.

I will be graduating this May and taking the MCAT in September. The reason why I plan on staying in the reserves for about 2 years is because I will need to pay off my tuition in order for my transcript to be released. After paying it off in a year, I will finally be able to apply to med school and thus wait another year as the application process unfolds. My financial barrier prohibits me from the normal process of applying as a junior, getting accepted as a senior and subsequently starting med school right after graduation.

I will be graduating this May and taking the MCAT in September. The reason why I plan on staying in the reserves for about 2 years is because I will need to pay off my tuition in order for my transcript to be released. After paying it off in a year, I will finally be able to apply to med school and thus wait another year as the application process unfolds. My financial barrier prohibits me from the normal process of applying as a junior, getting accepted as a senior and subsequently starting med school right after graduation.

I am confused....

How are you in school and not paying tuition up front before signing up for classes? Do you not have loans? Are you on some kind of credit plan or something?

I attend a private University. I am on a payment plan for this semester which allowed me to register for classes.