Can you tell me my chances here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helt4257

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be a senior at Oklahoma University
Major: Microbiology
GPA 3.77

MCAT 26M
V-7
Bio-10
PS-9

what are my chances of getting in to ou med school
should i retake the mcat

any help would be appreciated thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Not knowing the details of the rest of your application makes it hard to predict if you can get into OU. You might be considered despite the low MCAT if you have amazing ECs. It's probably wisest to plan to retake and do better. Did you take a formal prep course?

i did not take a test prep just used the princeton reiview books from the book store

i have like 200 hrs. mdeical related volunteer hours
150 non-medical volunteer hours
played a two years of college football
my bmcp is a 3.69
member of various honor societies and groups

Members don't see this ad :)
Your ECs are solid, but not amazing. Consider making an appointment with the medical school admissions staff to discuss your application and see what they say. They may have a soft spot for their athletes and cut you some slack. If you are willing to go to a DO school, I'd say you'd get an admission for sure. I think your best bet is to retake the MCAT (if you want to pursue an MD), no matter what the admissions advice is, as I've seen it happen that a person like you was told they'd get in for sure, and it didn't happen.

Last edited:
retake the mcat; if you can go from a 27 to a 34 or 35, you go from borderline to a very strong candidate.

thanks guys i talked to my premed advisor today and she said the exact same thing as yall i appreciate the input i guess the only thing to do now is strap in for another wonderful ride of the mcat

one more question- when should i retake the mcat i havent really studied for it since i took it june 13th thanks again

one more question- when should i retake the mcat i havent really studied for it since i took it june 13th thanks again

Can you study full time for a month? (Not sure of date of August test) My guess is that a month will not be adequate, as you need to go up more than the statistically-likely two points. I know it's hard to be patient and put your life on hold for another year, but why not do it right? Take a full prep course first. Take the test again when you're really, really ready and scoring above 30 consistently on practice tests. You don''t want to end up doing this a third time.

Or, you can still avoid all this stress and just apply to DO schools this year.