Canada & foreign trained Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yworry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may have an option to be a PR in Canada. How is the outlook for foreign trained dentists in Canada. Iam currently based in the USA. Are the US national Dental Board scores accepted for admission into canadian schools? Or is it just whole different ball game with cut throat competition?

Members don't see this ad.

yworry said:
I may have an option to be a PR in Canada. How is the outlook for foreign trained dentists in Canada. Iam currently based in the USA. Are the US national Dental Board scores accepted for admission into canadian schools? Or is it just whole different ball game with cut throat competition?

hey yworry
i don't want to discourage you but it is far more tougher to get into canadian school than usa schools
us national dental board scores are not recognised, they have an exam which is conducted by ACFD(association of canadian faculty of dentistry) called eligibilty exams, this exam has part 1 and 2 subjects together
there are currently 6 universities offering international dentist program
u of toronto, u of western ontario, dalhousie university, u of british columbia,u of manitoba and u of alberta
they have I think 48 seats in total between them for foreign graduates
and every year nearly 500 people take the eligibity exams
but the score of eligibity is not the only criteria in selection
all of them have a practical exams and some have toefl as requirement while others have ILETS as requirement
besides u of toronto, u of western ontario and dalhousie only give you diploma or a certificate after the completion of your program , so you don't get a traditional DDS degree which limits your opportunity to practise only in canada
so you can see that getting into canadian schools is more competitve than it is into usa schools
well otherwise canada is a nice country to live in , and if you have an opportunity to get a Permanent Residency , than you must go for it

Thanks for the honest & quick reply Nimesh.

Members don't see this ad :)
nimeshshingala said:
hey yworry
i don't want to discourage you but it is far more tougher to get into canadian school than usa schools
us national dental board scores are not recognised, they have an exam which is conducted by ACFD(association of canadian faculty of dentistry) called eligibilty exams, this exam has part 1 and 2 subjects together
there are currently 6 universities offering international dentist program
u of toronto, u of western ontario, dalhousie university, u of british columbia,u of manitoba and u of alberta
they have I think 48 seats in total between them for foreign graduates
and every year nearly 500 people take the eligibity exams
but the score of eligibity is not the only criteria in selection
all of them have a practical exams and some have toefl as requirement while others have ILETS as requirement
besides u of toronto, u of western ontario and dalhousie only give you diploma or a certificate after the completion of your program , so you don't get a traditional DDS degree which limits your opportunity to practise only in canada
so you can see that getting into canadian schools is more competitve than it is into usa schools
well otherwise canada is a nice country to live in , and if you have an opportunity to get a Permanent Residency , than you must go for it
It is harder to get into candaian dental schools because there are more dental schools in us than there are in canada

yworry said:
Hi there!
Please read over these threads, you're gonna find all the information about canadian accreditation programs...
Good luck!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=169601
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=169601

it's really hard for people who come to canada with lots of dreams to be satisfied with a Qp.certificate.the official website says it's equivalent to DDS.then why do they bar the QP graduates :(